THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Strangest thing that you ate in Africa?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strangest thing that you ate in Africa?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
For me, it was White Rhino sausage in South Africa. The Rhino had been hunted on the property about 2 months prior to my trip. Fairly tasty but a little too strong of a flavor for my taste.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
pan fried mopane worms in Zim and eland rectum on a skewer and roasted over and open fire. the worms were pretty good but the eland must be an acquired taste-yuck!!!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13449 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lion heart

I had taken a nice lion earlier in the day in the Selous and the cook broiled the heart that evening. My kids and I love venison heart fried in butter and salt but the lion's heart was just a tad chewy. Leopard backstrap was fantastic. Appearance, texture, and taste of good pork.

Tom

Posts: 77 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought I was bold until I read some of these replies.

I ate zebra. At my request. My hosts looked at me like I was crazy.

They selected a backstrap; marinated and seasoned like a filet mignon.

Cooked medium rare. I loved it!

I tried the warthog chops and ribs and found them too gristley as well as a bit greasy.

I'll stick with fried wildebeest cutlets and red hartebeest stir fry.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After I shot my leopard in Namibia this year our landowner-host did a big brai. Being of German descent, a butcher, and in the wholesale meat business, you can bet he was no vegan. One appetizer was liver (mayber eland or kudu?) wrapped in belly fat and done on the brai. I managed to gag one down. It was probably the riches, fattiest thing I ever ate, and I LIKE rich stuff. Not especially exotic, but certainly different from my usual fare.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Would just as soon eat the raw intestine as eat Marmite or Bovrel (sp)!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fresh Raw Kudu Liver....

Don't ask.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The strangest thing I ate in Africa (or have ever eaten) is called "a page from the bible".

Hi Canuck, its ironic you heard this the first time there...the only place I have heard this term is in Canada!

Two occasions, once watching a video put togther by the NWT Metis council as an educational video on Caribou hunting and then again from a friend in Alberta while gutting a mule deer doe. Called it just the "Bible" on both occasion. It made sense to me from the Metis perpective - strong catholic history and influence...

They refered to part of the abomasum (or the reticulum perhaps?) as opposed to the intesine.

Ironic!

Cheers

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.....Gathered around the evening fire, after my first hunt I was served raw, sliced " blesbok " testical, much to the delight of my brother in-law of course!! very salty , natural Smiler taste. Quickly followed by a gulp of a double Captain Morgan + Coke........ thank goodness I did not take a Elephant cheers

Cheers schmidie
" opie-knoppe "

Posts: 51 | Location: midrand South Africa | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I'll be the first to admit that I'm a pickey eater. No scorpions, grubs, etc. dead or alive like Cindy Garrison eats on her show. I don't eat many green things either. Here at home the only reason I bring the heart and liver of my deer and elk out of the woods is for my dog.

Last year in Zimbabwe, the main course at dinner one night was (I athought) pork chops, but the bone was shaped more like a "+" than a "T" like what I am used to here at home. After I ate my second one, my PH told me it was crocodile tail. Not my favorite dish, but I did have seconds, and two more in sandwiches for lunch the next day.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ate stuffed and roasted Bush Buck stomach. The stomach of the Bush Buck is cleaned ( or so they said) and stuffed with ground meat ( of various origins) and chopped parsley and various spices,and the whole thing was roasted on hot wood coals. Tasted great but was very very rich. One small piece was all I could eat.

If your parents didn't have any children chances are you won't either.

Posts: 478 | Location: Davie Florida | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Andrew McLaren fed me a "puff adder" - not the snake, but rather an intestine stuffed with various minced organs. I'm not sure what was in there, but it was pretty good. Rich, but good, especially with Amarula on the rocks.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of beams
posted Hide Post
Mopane worms

Posts: 38 | Location: Dallas,Texas | Registered: 06 October 2004Reply With Quote