THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Federal investigator .. grand jury ... credit card records ... blah blah

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal investigator .. grand jury ... credit card records ... blah blah
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Had a call recently from a person in CA who said he was a "Federal Investigator" and that he would be sending me a subpoena for a grand jury matter, he was looking for my "customer records" including "credit card information" for a person or person(s) who had paid for an African safari with a cc but he wasn't sure they had paid us, and in any case he admonished me to "tell nobody".

I explained that we don't keep any credit card info, that was all handled by a third party. I didn't tell him that I don't think I have ever taken a credit card as payment for a hunt, due to the heavy fees which can exceed the commission on the hunt. Certainly not recently.

Afterward I wondered why they didn't go to the credit card company/issuing bank, who has all the data. Also why he would call me if he "wasn't sure" it was us that had taken the money.

Well no subpoena arrived. I am pretty sure this is just a scam. I guess he moved on to another victim.

Anyone else had a similar call?

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Anyone wants to bet this is some anti reporter trying to get some quotable material for an article they will write which has no relations to any facts?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russ:

NO FED's, courts, or LEO's will call on the phone, period!

IF they want you to be contacted they'll either ring the bell, or send it by mail.
Tell those kind of callers to get Fk'd and don't try to bullshit you.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
Or, if you have the time and are feeling "Creative' just string them along for 10-15 minutes with questions and pretend searches for information i.e. "My records are upstairs let me go look" then, finally, tell them to take their scam elsewhere (With appropriate profanity if desired). I've done this with folks claiming they are from Microsoft and have information that my computer has a virus or some other malfunction. It can be fun!

Posts: 911 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I got a scam call one time and I acted as though they had called home of a murder victim where an investigation was currently underway. Asked them how they knew the deceased, when was the last time they had talked, if they knew why anyone might want to harm the person, are they available to come in for an interview.

It was hella fun...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don’t understand why anyone would answer the phone these days, unless they know the caller and want to talk to them.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . phones with Smart call blocker are awesome.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
I don’t understand why anyone would answer the phone these days, unless they know the caller and want to talk to them.

+1

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a retired Federal Agent and subpoena are required to be served in person to the person it was issued. It requires the agent to certify that this was done in the event the subject fails to appear when a warrant for the subject will be issued,

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree! My goodness we get so many ads, surveys and scam calls I'm suspicious every time the phone rings.

One guy called with that IRS scam and I told him FU and hung up. I could see from the caller ID that he was calling from a local business. He called back and said FU too and hung up. Then a woman called from the same number and said "This is the police" and that they were coming to get us. Sadie explained she could see they were calling for a shutters shop. Wink

These guys were stupid but it must work or they wouldn't continue to do it.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
I got a call Friday from a Women claiming to be from the IRS. She told me my Tax's were not filed properly and I had 24 hours before a warrant for my arrest would be issued. She gave me a number to call to make things right. I'm waiting for the Cops to serve the warrant. Big Grin

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys01:
I got a call Friday from a Women claiming to be from the IRS. She told me my Tax's were not filed properly and I had 24 hours before a warrant for my arrest would be issued. She gave me a number to call to make things right. I'm waiting for the Cops to serve the warrant. Big Grin

I got one of those calls as well that went to message. The key that caused my wife and I a big laugh was when the caller said "you will be arrested by the "LOCAL COPS" rotflmo
No real police official would ever use that terminology! lol

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
These guys were stupid but it must work or they wouldn't continue to do it.

Works on the old and infirm. rotflmo But wait, I'm old! Big Grin I had the IRS scam call just last week. I never answer the phone unless I know who it is. I let it go to voicemail and then I decide if I want to call them back. Works every time! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
phones with Smart call blocker are awesome.

+1

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
archer

And the kids have a great laugh listening to dad! rotflmo

I used different accents. Pretend to be an IT expert myself and try to sell back to them. At times I pretend to not understand the language and string them along.

Once I did a bit research and found a website with a contact phone number of the IP address in Nigeria. I called the guy and strung him along. He was real nervous that i got his phone number.

More recently I got a 2nd prize award from a Malaysian company with over 60 registered names to one identity and IP address. I called them and they asked me to follow instructions. I said I would ask my cousin to visit their office (address from web research) and they put the phone down.

I then copied all the info and passed it on the NZ serious fraud office as well Malaysian high commission.

quote:
Originally posted by stubbleduck47:
Or, if you have the time and are feeling "Creative' just string them along for 10-15 minutes with questions and pretend searches for information i.e. "My records are upstairs let me go look" then, finally, tell them to take their scam elsewhere (With appropriate profanity if desired). I've done this with folks claiming they are from Microsoft and have information that my computer has a virus or some other malfunction. It can be fun!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11253 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I don't recognize a number on an incoming call, I usually ignore it, but when I'm feeling froggy, I connect with the call, then turn on speaker and remain silent. The call usually ends after about 10 seconds, then I block the number. If I'm really in a bad mood, I blow a police whistle into the mic. Sorta brightens up my day.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a call a year r so ago from someone posing as an IRS agent and threatening to have the sheriff arrest me, I explained to him I was prepared to chop him up and feed him to my dogs including the sheriff. I asked for the time they would show up as I did not want to feed my dogs so they would be good and hungry, he hung up and I am still waiting for them

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gee, how I miss my wealthy uncle who died in Nigeria. I never actually met him or knew he existed, but still, there is an emptiness in my heart for him. I'm expecting the deposit of the 200Billion Nigerian he left me in his will in my bank account any day now, particularly since the good faith bank transfer of $1,000 I sent his Nigerian attorney was received in Africa over a year ago.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, if he has identified himself as a federal investigator, that is impersonation and prosecutable, which would be fitting.

quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Anyone wants to bet this is some anti reporter trying to get some quotable material for an article they will write which has no relations to any facts?

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stubbleduck47:

We got one of those calls. A guy with a heavy accent telling us we had a virus and he wanted to take control of our computer to fix it. We do not use a windows computer (Mac). I recognized the command he wanted me to input and kept telling him that nothing happened when I (I did not) typed in the command. After about five minutes of this, he hung up and went on to find a cooperative victim.

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 261 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote