Find
Notify
Tools

HSC
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted
Who is going to Houston Safari Club? I'll be at booth 114 with Miles & Miles. This will be my first HSC event.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I plan on going. Although Houston is smaller than DSC, you may have a better chance to discuss potential hunts. Jerry Hoover

Posts: 372 | Location: Round Rock,TX | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be there.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was talking to a fellow deer camp member who's from the Houston area who is a life member with HSC.

He sounded pretty put off by HSC and said it had become a good 'ole boy network that wasn't doing much, except for a select few. In fact, he was put off enough that he was planning to attend DSC and would probably join that group.

I don't have a dog in the fight, but are there some rifts in the HSC group? As hunters, we already face an uphill battle these days, I hate to think that we compound it by squabbling within our own ranks and not showing a united front for a common cause.

Posts: 521 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be at DSC, but son wouldn't go with me. So I'll probably go to HSC for a day.

Posts: 10371 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I just returned from Houston. Friday was pretty dead. Saturday was rather busy. We received a lot of interest. Booking for dove hunting in Argentina is rarely done directly at the shows, as groups have to coordinate, get perky from the wives, bosses, etc., and book a few weeks after.

Although it is quite a bit smaller, I was impressed. I do, however, feel sorry for those with booths upstairs. They didn't receive much traffic and the PA speaker kept reminding patrons to go up there.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Woods & Water / Rowdy Woodson was worth the trip for me. I think HSC has a "jay-vee" status and has the honor of being interesting enough for those who have junior staff needing experience to send them. Ivan Carter and Johan Calitz sitting at a booth means something is still going on. Oil prices and regulations under Obama have added up to a major dip in people's available money down here, supposed to work itself out in the next few years. Hillary thinks we are just getting started (and The Aardvark wants whatever is left.)

Posts: 4884 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a HSC member. They should call it the Woodlands Safari Club. I live in SW Houston and it's an hour to the Woodlands and an hour back (in light traffic). I do enough driving during the week and to and from South Texas on weekends. 11,000 miles since July.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 665 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I should not go to DSC or SCI since they aren't involved in my neighborhood.

Posts: 12104 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went and had a really good time, hardly anyone asked me to help them with anything and I got to talk to some outfitter friends for more than 2 minutes. Met some nice people there as well.
Only a 2.5 hour drive for us and well worth the trip.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2910 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
I hear HSC might be at a larger venue next year, where all the vendors can get into one space?

That would be nice...

0351 USMC

Posts: 1536 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
While the HSC show is indeed small, one of its appeals is that it is possible to actually spend some time visiting with folks. For example, I was able to have a long conversation with Ivan yesterday. That would never be possible at SCI or DSC.

[Show is moving year after next.]

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went to HSC for the first time in years. It was nice. Not Dallas, by any means, but it is slower and you have a chance to talk to folks. Congrats on a nice show.

Posts: 10371 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote