New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cabelas/illegal hunts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
At one time a couple of years ago, Cabelas was named in the press for selling illegal hunts in the Gwaai area of Zim. Has anyone heard whether Cabelas is still selling those hunts?

Does Cabelas book for Out of Africa Safaris?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 475/480
posted Hide Post
I had heard that was a big scam ,put out by people trying to make Cabela's look bad,and turned out not to be true. Confused

Sean

Posts: 562 | Location: Houston Tx | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
There were allegations of illegal hunting by Inyathi Hunters (it was also spelled "Inyati Hunters" in some reports). Never clear to me if the allegations were proven, if it was Inyathi or Inyati (or if they are one in the same, just misspelled). Cabelas does represent Inyathi Hunters.

Out of Africa's website no longer works.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recently I checked with Cabelas on this. They rep Inyati and that is a legit operation. Cabelas has too much at stake to sell illegal hunts. Ray Cabela has hunted with Inyati. I would have no problem booking with them.

Posts: 10358 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I second 475/480. Cabela's makes for an easy target. It's called badmouth-your-competition.

My motto - Anyone who has to sell his product only by bad-mouthing his competition does have a very good product to sell.

No company the size of Cabela's would jeopardize their corporate reputation by knowingly operating in an illegal environment. The fact that they still work with an outfitter surrounded by rumors tells me that they are comfortable that there are no illegal activity involved.

Somebody post the article that "appeared in the press some years ago". This sounds like a rumor about a rumor.

What is the definition of an illegal hunt in Zimbabwe anyway, because it takes place on an area illegally confiscated by the government? That would seem to apply to a great many hunts taking place there. That is one reason I gave up on hunting in Zimbabwe. I'm tired of all the bitching.

Anyone running a business in a third-world country knows exactly what the risks are; your business, maybe your family, maybe your life. If you feel lucky, roll the dice if you want; but you don't have bitching rights.

Posts: 13857 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Johnny Rodrigues - Conservation Taskforce - ie the local PETA rep doesn't like the old man who owns Inyathi Hunters and likes his partener, Jacob Mudenda even less. Johnny is very vocal in the international press and is constantly throwing out rumours that have been exagerated in the telling long before he got hold of them to embelish them to a level that would have made old Peter H. Capstick's mind boggle.

There is much that is evil in my country but it doesn't help when the most quoted man on "conservation issues" believes that all hunting should be stopped.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote