New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meat hunter
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
We stopped near a tree under which a flock of francoln were busily pecking the ground. Glen (PH) turned and said "How would you like francoln pie for lunch"? It sounded good to us so Glenn handed the shotgun to my son Jon and said "climb down and shoot a few". Jon jumped down and ran toward the birds and blasted away at the ones who took wing. "What are you doing!" shouted Glenn. "Get on your hands and knees, creep up and hold the gun level and shoot their heads off. We're not talking sport here - we're talking lunch".
The pie was pretty good.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Honestly funny cheers

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunting ethics meets bare necessity...
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a somewhat similar experience in 1993 in Chirisa (Zimbabwe). My PH took me out for bird hunting right before dark. He pointed out a guinea fowl. I jumped out of the LandCruiser -and expected the guinea fowl to fly. (I had never seen one before and it was my first trip to Africa) Of course, it took off running. I chased it (with shot held at high port) Smiler I just couldn't catch up to make this bird fly and gave up. On my return to the truck, the trackers are grinning and my PH is shaking his head. I made matters worse by saying: " I couldn't make him fly". The PH explained that I was to shoot FOOD to eat!. I was supposed to shoot that bird immediately! Not give him a "sporting" chance! Smiler He also mentioned the not so incidental fact that a lion might have been just stirring himself for his evening hunt and would have welcomed a tidbit snack running by him. Smiler It was` my third day in the bush and the beginning of my education! Fact.

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote