Find
Notify
Tools

SKB gun cases
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted
I normally take a Tuffpak or Pelican case to Africa but I leave Sunday for a shorter hunt where I have to watch weight because of internal flights. I ended up with a SKB case James Anderson sent me with a custom rifle he built for me. I know if it is good for him it should be for me but just checking to see if anyone else has used one. Seems strong enough, just need 4 locks for it!

Any experience?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
I bought one in 2014 for a trip. It was a double rifle/two compound bow case (we took two crossbows broken down). I can't remember the model but, had no problems with it.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 599 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Using an SKB gun case right now. Cincinnati, DaGaul, Vienna airports, and the back of a truck over rough alpine terrain. My rifle and scope look like when I first bought them. My two scopes an older Leupold and newer Swarovski have never lost zero. Mine has a lot of surface scars showing rough handling.

Mine is a two gun case. I use the bottom compartment for my hunting clothes. It is my only checked bag.

Love the case. It is big, but never had to pay an over weight charge. I keep it south of forty pounds. Most folks think it has an instrument in it.

One of the best things I have bought.

Folks love tough pack. I have heard stories of TSA breaking the locks. I have never saw one for sale.

Posts: 12260 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a 4 gun SKB case. It's been across the pond 9 times. Starting to get really beat up. Never had a problem. You should be good to go!

Posts: 835 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys... that's what I hoped to hear!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ten safaris and numerous hunting trips at home with my SKB. Love the case, never any issues. They are somewhat bulky but provide good security and protection for your rifles.

One of Us
Picture of BearCountry953
posted Hide Post
I flew my bow and my rifle in my SKB double bow case to Africa and back no issues.

Posts: 97 | Location: USA Massachusetts | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I put my take-down guns in a Negrini case and then that goes into an SKB case. I can't do that with full length rifles. Those are put in a sturdy soft case before going into an SKB.

I have taken firearms around the USA and on a few overseas trips in the SKB cases. The only thing I ever had damaged was some SKB latches. But those are easily installed and SKB replaced them at no charge. They have a lifetime warranty.

I suggest you get a case with wheels. It makes it a lot easier to get around that way, especially if you are carrying a lot of other luggage.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I have used SKB cases to carry my firearms all over the US, South America and most recently Africa. Never had a damaged firearm. My 2 rifle case was damaged this last trip on the return and SKB replaced it as per their lifetime warranty.

Safe travels..........LL

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7 trips to Africa so far with my SKB cases.

No problems, and my rifles/shotguns have never been harmed.

I own 4 of them: (3) 2-rifle cases and (1) single shotgun case for the US.

Posts: 2628 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
My SKB has been well over a dozen trips overseas and also throughout the Lower 48 states. Air and pickup. Never a problem and I trust it to protect my expnsive double rifles, including my vintage .600 Wilkes and .350 no2 Rigby going to Zim and SA in 2018. The SKB is the best value for protection and room for carrying other stuff as well as weight and size.

The TuffPaks are crap. Yes they protect and are solid but a pain in the ass to unpack to get something out at the airport. I bought one at DSC and sold it within a few months. My SKB have never given a problem and I can open it and place something in it or take something out with ease. And, TP may state 3-4-5 rifles can be placed in the case, they forget weight restrictions.

With the two easily replaceable locks and two pad locks security is fine and I've never had a problem in Africa or with TSA. And, I can place a small locked ammo container in the SKB and never a problem or question except in SA to Zim where the ammo bocx must be separately checked.

Aluminum cases protect well but there is no room to carry clothes or to put a soft case around the rifle(s) for transit. They are light in weight and solid but I like the room SKB gives me to pack other items, such as wood carvings on my return from Zim.

Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only made the one R/T to Fla from CO n back with mine.
Put 4 rifles and 3 revolvers in it on the way to Fla. 3 rifles and five revolvers on the way back.

Broke an axle off dragging it down steps once. SKB replaced it. Funny thing, on the way down I couldn't find my key. Called SKB: "we'll mail it right out". They sent 4 locks and NO keys"

I wrapped a chain and padlock around it and no problem. When I got back home they'd sent keys here instead of destination as requested. I keep the extra locks and pair of wheels/axle's in it under the bottom pad. Big bulky thing, but, it sure protects the contents. I use it going to the range as I take several guns everytime. Never know what range is going to be open or booked up. Too far to drive without shooting something.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I lost my keys. I called them told them the model and they sent a set of keys that works perfect with the locks inside the latches.

Posts: 12260 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote