New
Find
Notify
Tools

For Ivan Carter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ivan,in SCI magazine you have a hollow gram sight on your double. Do you actually use this all the time. Is it any good or were you just advertizing. I need to know if they are practical or not as my old eyes don't like to focus on iron sights and the target anymore. One object to focus on is challenge enough. thanks Ivan.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I'm not Ivan, although I did play one at Holiday Inn Express last night ... wait, that didn't come out right.

Anyway, I have had a couple clients install Eotech's on their doubles (blasphemy ... I know) but, they work. Had one on an M4, and have used them on friends M4's.

Also, you might consider a 1x-4x 20mm power scope. On 1x, it's dang near like looking through a holographic, and isn't nearly as blasphemous as a holographic sight. Wink

Sorry to hijack Ivan. Back to you.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
There are lots of us who have red-dots on our hunting handguns and rifles. In the past 6 weeks I have had the Trijicon RMR, Burris FastFire III and the Bushnell Trophy multi-reticle put on two double rifles in 500NE and a .458B&M bolt gun.

They work and are very fast. Excellent for aging eyesight. The most compact are the Trijicon RMR, Docter Optic and Burris FFIII, all approximately the same size.

Hope this helps.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have a Burris FastFire III on my double. For an old guy with bad eyes, it's a wonderful sight! No one likes change, but this one allows me to keep shooting my double!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I am sure that Ivan will see this and eventually weigh in. Until then, I will give you my views whether you want them or not. Big Grin

I just finished an elephant hunt with double rifle that has a Trijicon RMR sight mounted on it. The Trijicon I have is the 7 MOA model, amber dot, that does not require batteries (uses fiber optics). I also have a double with Docter Optic red dot mounted on it. I much prefer the Trijicon. Why? Several reasons. One, I think the Trijicon is a stouter unit. It just looks and feels more solid. For example, you attach it using hex bolts that sit flush with the mount versus the Docter Optic which has a Weaver-type screw attachment. Two, I like the fact that I do not have to worry about batteries. I do not have to turn the sight on/off, keep the sight covered, worry that the batteries are going to go flat at just the wrong time, etc. Three, I also do not feel that in most double rifle situations using the 7 MOA optic versus a 3 MOA is much of a handicap. Most double rifle shooting is not being done at a distance or at animals that the 7 MOA is a handicap.

All that said, I will probably remove the Trijicon sight when I hunt again with that rifle. Why? For me, having an optic on a double just gave me one more thing to worry about than I needed to worry about. I always wondered whether the sight was going to get knocked out of adjustment, was the glass wet or dirty, etc. In my case, I just think the iron sights are a better fit since they are essentially idiot proof and with me, that is relevant and important.

Mike

Posts: 21678 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
The RMR type sight, while blasphemous on a double rifle, is not as hideous as a scope. For those of us senior hunters whose eyes are not as sharp as they used to be, the RMR sight is the way to go. I have both the Trijicon and Docter III, and I like them both. I have a Trijicon on my Searcy 450/400 double, and it has turned it into a true 100 yard rifle. I can regularly hit the 12"x12" steel offhand at 100 yds at the range with either barrel, and that is minute of buffalo in my book.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Dande jack Ivan is hunting at the moment in Africa and does not always have Internet he will respond when he gets to see your post .

Posts: 15 | Location: Bahamas | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Or, you could always go with a ghost ring aperature sight. Mine has added years to the length of time that I can use iron sights.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
...iron sights are a better fit since they are essentially
idiot proof and with me, that is relevant and important.

I am the president of the club, nice to meet you... Big Grin wave Big Grin
I think I'll be "a tryin'" a ghost ring ASAP though!

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Ivan has a Trijicon RMR on his double rifle. He and I have conversed back and forth about it. Also, he does an advertisement for Trijicon showing him with his double and the RMR. Big Grin I love the RMR on my Searcy 450-400. I also enjoy being able to scope it when need be, or to shoot it with iron sights. I really don't care about what others think or pleasing anyone else or being a "purist". I care about the ability to cleanly and effectively kill cape buffalo or other dangerous/plains game and with my aging eyes, and mine's the only opinion that matters. Smiler I also have the same set up ready to go for my 375 H&H Flanged.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too just had a Trijicon RMR mounted on my Searcy .470 Nitro and just finished sighting it in last weekend. I don't find that it "destroys" the lines of the rifle; it is unobtrusive and works wonderfully. It not only makes the gun more accurate and effective out to longer ranges than open sights as our eyes start to fail us, it also makes it quicker to shot close in. I first used a sight like that on an MP 5. There is a reason the special forces guys use them.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DJ,
I used an RMR on my .470 last year on an ele. It was mid-morning and thick jess, with deep shade. At 15 yards, the red dot showed up very well. I have the battery-powered model. The dot is always "on", and battery life exceeds one year. I put in a fresh battery before each trip. The small size and weight doesn't interfere with the balance of the rifle, making muzzle forward carry a breeze. As a plus, the RMR can be quickly and easily removed for access to the iron sights.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I literally just installed a new Trijicon RMR on my Searcy 470, and it's not obtrusive at all. I haven't had the opportunity to sight it in yet, so I'll report back on that.

I bought a mount to fit the Talley base from AR member, h2oboy, who fabricated it. The mount appears very solid and uses a Talley lever, so I can take the Trijicon on and off by hand in about 2 seconds. Pretty sweet.

Posts: 662 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thankyou all so much for your advice and experience.

One of Us
Picture of Wildlife Gallery
posted Hide Post
Trijicon RMR is my vote... Ivan can expound I'm certain!

Committing ourselves to world class turnaround and quality.
www.thewildlifegallery.com

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EB:

... special forces guys ...

moon stir rotflmo

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote