Find
Notify
Tools

Care to Comment?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwanajcj,
Metal plate statement I just could not resist,no offence intended.
I cannot see from the Ms video,how people are drawing their criticism of him. It all looks clean to me.
On another note,what is the brand of D/rifle in his hands,and what is its chambering?

one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
none taken, people previously have been offended.
I'm not sure of the make i seem to remember reading an article that said his .600 Marcel Thys. in some of his videos he is shooting a .470 or a .577 or .600 nitro and I remember that he is having a .700 nitro built for him.

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
----------------------------
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835
----------------------------

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are some very good color photos of each of MS's double rifles in his book "Death and Double Rifles."

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vietnam was a televised war,it showed the people something of what happens in the real world.,So why not show a video to the people of what happens in African hunting?
The muzzle end looks fairly substantial in bore dia. .577 upwards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen,

You've hunted with Sullivan. Have you been in any of the videos? If so which ones?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The double rifles that he currently owns and uses per his book is a .700, .600, .577, .500, .450 No. 2 and .450/.400.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
Allen,

You've hunted with Sullivan. Have you been in any of the videos? If so which ones?

Allen

I know you were in one of Sullivan's early videos. What I wanted to ask you was, does he film during all or most of his hunts, and select the most suitable hunts and footage for the videos? ie do you have a camera man tagging along on your hunts as well, or not if you specify it?

Or are the hunts on the videos, made specially for the video?

Thanks.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Where's caracal?

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
Where's caracal?

roflmao

<allen day>
posted
Nitro, the camera is basically rolling all day long, plus lots of stills are taken throughout the day. Since, as you know, safari days are filled with a lot of surprises, the camera has to be "cocked & locked" pretty much non-stop. A lot of video get taken of non-hunting episodes, wildlife, camp life, staff, etc.......

It's hard to find a professional videotographer who is willing to commit for the full safari season and who can cut it in the bush for that full amount of time, plus they have to be instructed about safari life, and so forth.

We had a fun, full-time professional video man with us the season I was in one of Mark's films. He'd won a few Emmys for his work and had filmed live-action cop shows (one in which a DEA agent's brains were literally splattered over his face during a Miami shootout), Turkish whore houses, and don't ask me under what assignment! He had basically worked around the world, had, in part, filmed some Capstick's hunting videos, and this prior experience is, I'm sure, one of the reasons Mark hired him. We kicknamed him "Wildman" and he had a ton of stories to tell (MANY about Capstick and other safari industry notables), was a good guy, and kept us laughing throughout the safari.

One night we were in a blind and had a pair of male lions just outside roaring at us for all they were worth. They were so close you could smell the rotten meat on their breath. Sullian, his son Shawn and I sat up without saying a word, but we all had our rifles up with our thumbs on the safeties, hoping that those lions wouldn't try to come in. As this went on, our cameraman started to freak out, and he looked in my face and started to exclaim, "those f---ing lions are RIGHT OUTSIDE!!" All I could do was put my hand on his chest, push him back, shake my head at him, and hope that he'd get a grip and shut up....

Luckily, the cameraman did get a grip, and the lions finally lost interest and went away! It was some night, the likes of which you never forget for the balance of your days.

Later, we got up on a big, old lion who was on a buffalo, and the lion spotted us, ran off, and stopped about fifty yards away. I'm not one to stand on ceremony, so when Mark gave the word, I instantly shot him through the shoulders with my 300 Win. Mag. As soon as the bullet hit him, the lion did this dramatic, high backward somersalt and crashed with his tail twitching. He was finished. It all happen so fast that it caught Wildman with his britches down, and he was only able to capture part of that episode, which is a true pitty, because that was an incredibly dramatic and decisive kill. We did the out-takes, etc., but Mark has never been able to find a way to salvage that footage for video because it was incomplete.

Such is safari video as I've experienced it.......

AD

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Allen

Thanks for the informative reply.

It is interesting that he films for most of the whole season and not just specific hunts. That would surely increase the opportunities later in the editing room.

I have always been impressed by the camera work on Sullivan's videos. The footage is steady, especially during the charges (I have only seen the earlier half-dozen). On many competitive videos and some we see on the net as short clips, the camera work is very 'jerky' as the cameraman panics before he settles down to film properly again. Sometimes it is for good reason as the shooters are behind him and quite rightfully he needs to get out of the way. But Mark's cameramen are steady, or at least the footage that has been edited-in into the final film.

It is a pity your lion did not make a film. But it also goes to show that if the client wants to take the animal quickly it is still his hunt and he can. Hey? Wink

Good luck on your next safari.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum