Find
Notify
Tools

I got good news....or did I
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted
Two years ago my wife was elected as the administrative oficer of our hunting club branch. She later became responsible for organising the events for the club. In management meetings there is always discussions on the shooting tables that we offer.

A few weeks ago my wife, Thea, came to me while reloading and asked if I will teach her to shoot a cetre fire rifle, quite baffled I agreed. Thea will not miss a hunting trip and enjoys it very much, but she has never showed any interest in hunting herself.

Well the shooting at the club's final shooting day went quite well and she got all her shots on the target, she even shot a better score than some of the men. That being taken care of we started practising at home with a unloaded rifle to get her positions sorted out and to hold the rifle correctly without waisting a lot of time.

The past Sunday my son and I were watching "Hunt Sunday" on ESPN. Get Wild came up and that is when Thea decided to join us. She was full of compliments for Cindy, in that a good looking lady that is well cared for can go out hunting. I just sat there, to astonished to say anything. By the end of the program Thea announced " Next year I am hunting my own animal".

She did not stop asking questions on shot placement etc. ever since, she wants to know everything and she is pestering me to go out to the shooting range.

Now, did I get good news or not.

I think it is the most wonderful news I got in a long time, next year our whole family will be hunters. I see it as a privilage to have a whole family of hunters, just think of all the stories and experiences we will be able to share with each other.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jaco
My wife is my best hunting buddy.
She likes to fish even more than I do.
With the everyday grind everyone has trying to work, when planning a trip with my wife I always know it will go through. I never worry about her pulling out at the last minute.

Plus I know she has the clothing and equipment up to tha task. When you do a 9 day backpack hunt where it rains 100% of the time, or are hunting in minus 20 below zero F, you must have the Grit and Gear to handle the conditions.

Just be sure you get rifles that fit your wife, that SHE likes, and use the proper bullets for the job.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I'm with Tony, I love having my wife along as I know I can depend on her. Problem is, it ends up costing twice as much!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
SBT,

Sure it cost twice as much. Wink

But how much more do you enjoy the 'whole' of the adventure with her along per total $s spent? The $s spent by the two of you hunting must be compared with $s spent by you hunting alone plus $s she spends while she's out shopping and spending a lot of money for her enjoyment while you are on safari? Smiler

My Cecilia is by far the best hunting buddy I have ever had!

In good hunting,

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
I think tere was only two hunts where Thea did not accompany me. She hates it when I take out clients and misses out on the bush. In two years time she can join me on that as well, all the kids will be finished with school.

Thea was ussually the driver, dropping us off and picking us up, she made sure the camp was organised, food ready, cold drinks etc. Will she be only my best hunting buddy, no, she is my life long companion and we share everything. When she finally hunts her own animal, I don't know who will be the happiest, but we will both have a great and valuable memory to share.

Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Africa is an experience best shared!
I took my wife and now I can't even start to talk about Going back without her being ready to go!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
You are a lucky man. My wife camps, shoots, and sometimes hunts. I count myself lucky as well.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1253 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
"The Perfect Shot" as a Christmas present?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
"The Perfect Shot" as a Christmas present?

Got one and we have allready worked through it, but you know Thea, she would most probably prefer her own rifle. I have an option on a 7mm, but first want to shoot a couple of shots with it. She might become a rifle owner.

Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
My greatest regret when my wife left (her big mistake, according to her) was not having her as a hunting buddy any more. Surprise surprise, after seven years, she's calling me! Asked if I needed company on hunting trips. Who knows...

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prof242:
Surprise surprise, after seven years, she's calling me! Asked if I needed company on hunting trips. Who knows...

Hope you will have your hunting buddy back soon. Nature heels all wounds.

Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

posted Hide Post
You are some very fortunate people. The sun shall never rise on the day my wife displays anything but utter disdain for hunting. Makes things tough sometimes. It's always there.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nick-I am sure there are some who have tougher hurdles to get over but I am also sure that a wife whom has such a dislike of hunting is for you (who obviously does) a tough nut to crack.I fell your pain.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It took planning n African Safari with my daughter to convince my wife to even come along. I insisted both women do some practicing before we left. I made up a rifle in 7x57 and 300 H&H for them to shoot. after two weeks they had graduated to the 300. My daughter wanted a mountain zebra and a gemsbok. My wife didn't want to shoot ,just come along. After Crystal shot her gemsbok and I had taken a few head of game the PH spotted a klipspringer on the side of a tall kopji. He asked if either Crystal or I wanted to take it. We said no then like a shot Susan jumped up and said I want it and another African hunter was born. Now its double everything. Double air fare, double daily rates, double trophy fees and double rifles (pun intended) and we go every other year. I can't even plan an African trip without her.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Jaco, you are a lucky man to have the woman in your life become your new hunting partner. I have never hunted Africa but have hunted much of Alaska and for the first time my new bride decided that she wanted hunt sheep with me last fall and now she is hooked! I couldn't be any happier!! Good luck to you both!

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Jaco

I see a new angle to your PHing business.

Thea comes along on client safaris and does the camp manager bit.

But she also takes out the client's non-hunting wife to shoot an impala for camp meat. The client's wife sees another woman enjoying hunting, and thinks, "Hey, why not give it a try myself?"

A grain of an idea is started, which might germinate into a full hunter.

Maybe Jaco and Thea, the hunting husband and wife PH's.

thumb

PS If my wife and I holiday/hunt in South Africa again, perhaps we will try this strategy out if Thea could come as well. Wink Smiler

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
John,
Thea will omly need half an invitation and she will be in the cruiser, when the wheels turn she is in. I can imagine the two wifes together, except for some hunting chater they will only discuss wines. I am sure it can be a lot of fun beer

I see myself as a very privileged man, I could not have asked for a better companion or a better family.

Thea started off with the 22-250 and will be graduating to the 308 one of these days. She came out of a house where nobody was interested in hunting, although they spend a lot of time in nature.

I think to get woman and children involved in hunting will help towards saving our hunting heritage. We have a big drive in our hunting club to get woman involved, if not in the actual hunting we organise demonstations on game dishes and we have a yearly game meat cooking day.

Far to many woman in RSA are against hunting, not because of the killing aspect, but most of them see it as a weekend where the men only drink and tell dirty jokes. If more of them are taken out on a hunting trip to see what hunting realy is all about, we will have much more support for our sport.

I salute my wife for what she is doing to promote hunting amongst woman. Five years ago we had no woman attending our monthly meetings, lately more and more wifes join their husbands to the meetings.

Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com