New
Find
Notify
Tools

Easier Route into Northern Zim
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have finally found an easier route into the Zambezi valley and northern Zim.
In recent years I have learned that it is prudent to plan my travel so that I add a couple of extra days on to the beginning of my safari. This gives me a day or so to acclimatise and also for the opportunity for any lost luggage to catch up.
This year I will be flying direct from London to Lusaka Zambia with British Airways and then transferring to Chawalo Safaris fishing lodge on the Zambezi at the head of Cahorra Bassa lake. I will have a day and a half tiger fishing and then be transferred across the river into Zim to be collected by our hunting vehicle for the hour’s drive to CM Safaris camp at Dande.
I will leave London at 7.10pm and be fishing by 10.30am the following morning.
The costs involved are the same as routing via Joburg, but I will save an additional flight and swop a full days travel for a days fishing.
A company called Chawalo Safaris are arranging all the transfers, firearms transit docs and meet and greet etc. Buzz Charlton took me to visit them this last year for a days fishing at the end of my hunt and we put the plan together. They run a first rate fishing lodge and also have their own hunting concession in Mozambique.
I thought that other hunters going to the valley or northern Zim may be interested in this route as I would assume that if travelling from The States with BA via London you could book your bags straight through.
If anyone is interested they can contact Carel Maartens of Chawalo Safaris at info@southernsafaris.co.za

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Sounds good and I'm sure we will get a report when youre done.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
R.Jolly,

Will they organize the transfer etc for a fee if you are not fishing with them? Where will you actually exit Zambia and enter Zim? It sounds like your not using a border post???? Who is handling the visas and gun permits?

Given that all this works well for you it definitely might be an alternative to going through JNB. You are correct in that we can check on guns and luggage with BA here in the States straight through to Lusaka.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mark
Official border posts are used and all details are legal and correct. Please contact Carel direct for the details of names, locations and fees etc. Chawalo will arrange the firearms docs and visas will be purchased at Lusaka airport for Zambia and Kanyemba border post for Zim. He will provide the service even if not fishing with them.

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Excellent plan.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
R.Jolly,

Sent Carel a message. This is very interesting.

THX

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Robert
This sounds like a good route, if your times are correct i would save about 8 hrs+ travelling,that has to be better that traveling through joberg. I'am hunting with CM in May, so i think if the costs are reasonable.i'am going to give them a try.

Posts: 2 | Location: England | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote