THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Will's book "Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game"

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will's book "Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game"
 Login/Join

Picture of Canuck
posted
Just thought I'd pass on that I just finished reading Bill Stewart's book and that I enjoyed the heck out of it! I found the content very educational, especially WRT shot placement on elephant. The writing style is very casual and reminiscent of our own Richard Powell's (scruffy) books, or even George Hoffman's book (Country Boy in Africa). It got me even more excited about my trip in September. Smiler

My favorite chapter was Bill the III'rds account of his buffalo hunts. I really enjoyed his perspective and honest style.

Anyhoo, just thought I'd take the opportunity to give Bill his "props" and let him (and all the rest of ya) know that I quite enjoyed the book.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I also enjoyed it. Somehow I felt like I was there with him in many of the chapters.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I too, just finished Bill's book, and found it very refreshing, compared to many of the things I read today. To me, it was nice to read about hunting, and not politics, for a change!

Bill's writing about the tight spots getting a little too tight, was brought to the reader in a way that anyone who has been in those places, around those animals will understand immeiately. I believe it was done well enough even those who have never been in more danger than being cornered by a yard dog can understand.

I think, in this book you can follow his campfire smoke right up to Heaven! A book that deserves to be on the book shelf of anyone who has ever thought he/she might want to hunt the African bush, for anything, not just elephant!

Well done Bill! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
I believe it was done well enough even those who have never been in more danger than being cornered by a yard dog can understand.

My sister has a couple of yard dogs that you wouldnt want cornering you without a weapon.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Well said Mac!

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Currently I am reading Bill's book, and his encouragement to us big bore fans is refreshing.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
Where can a person get a copy?

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I think Will said that Safari Press will be selling them, but I don't know if they are yet. I got mine direct from Will...just PM him and he'll hook you up!

Cheers,
Canuck

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Oh, say no more.... Smiler

Bill Stewart
P.O. Box 104
Spring Hill, Kansas 66083

$50 + $5 postage.

Thanks.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Canuck,

I read Will's book right after it came available... I really enjoy Will's wit and candor...But I also picked up alot of info and how to play the angles game..with making the shot on an ele...
I will read it again before heading to the Selous in July... thumb

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
What's the title of this book?

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game

It is 262 pages and signed.

I sent off copies to Safari Press and Rowland Ward to see if they are interested in carrying it.

But you can get copies directly from me.

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

posted Hide Post
Will,
I'm sending a check off to you today. Can't wait to spend an evening reading about your exploits!

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Bill: I guess I must have missed the particulars on how to order your book. Can you provide please? jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Jorge:

Just send a check for $55 which includes postage:

Bill Stewart
P.O. Box 104
Spring Hill, Kansas 66083

Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I enjoyed your book as well, and would recommend it to others.

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Bill:

I bought your book mainly because I thought it would be fun to have a signed book by an AR member and could pass it around to Africa first-timers. I got it, kind of skimmed through it and put on my desk at work where it was soon covered with crap.

When I got to Chifudzi and met Francois and with Brent, had some conversations about your love for elephant hunting, particularly cows (and tuskless at that), I was eager to really read some when I got home.

Of course, I first turned to the chapter on Francois and began to read. Fellow, you write well. I very much enjoy your style... I haven't finished the book yet since my girls were over for supper and American Idol last night, but will hit it some this afternoon (I'm still officially on vacation since I came back early).

I'm not the best writer on this earth, but I do know what is good and what I enjoy. You give me both. Congratulations!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill, Am enjoying your elephants and buff now and believe you have some sound comment about the .375 and larger bores for DG. The straightforward and to-the-point prose is refreshing.

Even got an extra copy that you inscribed and signed for my Namibian game farm owner/hunter and wife.

Nicely done Bill!
Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Will,

I'm not quite finished reading it yet - I keep re-reading the section on buff. I guess I'm biased!

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
<Hunter Formerly Known As Texas Hunter>
posted
Has it got color pics?

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Nope, B&W. Gives it the old-timey feel.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
<Hunter Formerly Known As Texas Hunter>
posted
Oh well, I sent a check anyway. Thanks.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone that has requested a book.

I still have a few copies if anyone else is interested! Smiler