New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rainforest hunt
 Login/Join

<Mads>
posted
Has any of you ever huntet in the Rainforest?

Im especially interested in you exsperiencens and recommendations regarding rifles and ammonition.

Any esperience will be apriciatet.

Sincerely

Mads

posted Hide Post
Mads,
First, let me say, "Welcome back! We missed you!"

I've not hunted the rain forest (yet), but several of my friends have. They made no special adjustment to their choice of rifles or ammunition.
Some of them did change to lower-powered, but brighter, scopes however; S&B or Zeiss 1.5x-6x42mm replaced Leupold 2.5x-8x scopes on their .375s, and the Swarovski or Zeiss 1.25x-4x (or equivalent) replaced Leupold 1.5x-5x scopes on .416s.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mads:
Has any of you ever huntet in the Rainforest?

Im especially interested in you exsperiencens and recommendations regarding rifles and ammonition.

Any esperience will be apriciatet.

Sincerely

Mads

Hello Mads

I have traveled to the rainforest of SE Cameroon 3 times with about 60 days hunting and guiding. There is a great variation in the vegetation within different areas which change the clothing requirements.

I believe I have found the best combinatin of equipment and guns to suit the area I have visited. As far as my gun I carry a Sako TRG-S in 450 Ackley, no scope, shoot 500 Grain X-bullets. If you would more info let me know.

Posts: 1853 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
<10point>
posted
What species were available ?......thanx.......10

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10point:
What species were available ?......thanx.......10

The species available are Bongo,Forest Elephant,Sitatunga,RedRiver Hog,Duikers(Bay,Peter's,Blue,Yellowback)Dwarf Forest Buffalo and several species of monkey that are importable to U.S. We see tracks of Giant Forest Hog but there is not a huntable population.

Posts: 1853 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote