New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any do's or dont's for Tanzania?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Heading out for Massai land shortly!!!!!!

Any do's or dont's you want to share?

Posts: 42343 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Do have fun
Do take a lot of photos
Do post a hunt report

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
What area/outfitter ? Enjoy!

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Be patient waiting for your visa when you arrive....it's a slow process.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Do take more money...

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Do have fun
Do take a lot of photos
Do post a hunt report

Now the don'ts.

Don't forget your malaria tablets.
Don't forget to put permetherin on your clothes.
Don't miss.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JTEX:

You will have fun, no worries there. Where are you going and with whom? Masailand is a big place. I've hunted in Simanjiro, Longido and the Natron area.

You didn't say how soon you were going, but if it's really soon, it could be rather cool. I'd take a sweater (which I prefer to a jacket) but it tends to get hung up on thorns -- depending on where you are (problem in Longido, not so much in the other areas I mentioned). Last year, in July, I didn't bother to take the anti-malarials, there were no mosquitoes, but that probably wasn't the brightest thing I've ever done.

Take sunscreen.

Stop at the Community Center (I believe that's what they call it) in Arusha on your way out of town, but be prepared to spend a bit of money there. They have the usual trinkets and tourist stuff, but also some nice art, antiques, etc. You can spend a day there (and some serious change).

Do stay at the New Arusha Hotel (if their renovations have been completed and they have reopened -- sure they have by now). Nice old hotel. Beautiful grounds right in downtown Arusha.

Eat plenty of the cashews. You can find them from street vendors, but my company always keeps them in camp for me.

Ask them not to completely burn your fish.

Enjoy a Kilimanjaro or two around the fire and take plenty of pictures.

Bahati njema!

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JTEX:

Forgot the little bananas and the mangoes. Cashews, little bananas, mangoes and Kilis. Not necessarily in that order.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take lots of $5's and 10's. You'll need them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

Hunting with PVT, don't know the name,of the area, but between lake natron and Kilimanjaro.

Posts: 42343 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
Thanks all.

Hunting with PVT, don't know the name,of the area, but between lake natron and Kilimanjaro.

Say hello to Pierre.

Tell him Walter send kisses clap

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Heading out for Massai land shortly!!!!!!

Any do's or dont's you want to share?

Strongly advise on choice of camo if you intend taking some along.

Be sure the patterns/colors do NOT resemble any military type - go for the classic hunting patterns; Woodland, Brush, etc.

Posts: 2037 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:
Take lots of $5's and 10's. You'll need them.

Better to just convert a few 100 to shillings, and use shillings for the small stuff. Currently the exchange rate is 2265 shillings to the dollar, but most bureaus give 1500 or even to the dollar for 1's, 5's and 10's.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 897 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gibbs' Farm used to be great for lunch.

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try to be at the front of the visa line.

Legenday Lodge is very quiet and plush. Arusha Coffee Lodge is nice and quiet. The New Arusha Hotel is certainly the most nostalgic to me but not as quiet as the other two mentioned.

Good luck and good hunting!

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Already have visas on passports, shouldn't need to wait in line?????

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Already have visas on passports, shouldn't need to wait in line?????.

The only "waiting in line" would be the ones leading to the immigration counters ..... and waiting at the baggage claims.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
+2 on the money, seems like they had a $1 per round tax in the airport, payable on the spot.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We never pay a penny in Tanzania.
Our outfitter takes care of everything and we pay him.

Solves problems with money.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go have yourself a good hunt JTEX...what critters are you aiming for..?

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lesser kudu, gerenuk, grants, Thompson, fringe earned Oryx, impala, bohor reedbuck, dik-dik.

Stuff you can't get in other places.....

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I'll echo Saeed's advice: Don't miss! But that advice is true of anywhere, and I'm sure you don't need it.

Best of luck!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks all.

there is a lot of ground between Lake Natron and Ki;limanjaro Wink 4 blocks around Lake Natron and another two around West Kilimanjaro. Any specifics as they do vary quite a bit for EA species.... Happy Hunting.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do have fun

Don’t get worked up about the number of people around

Ditto the comments on everyone having their hand out for tips everywhere.

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
As mentioned by ijl above, Gibb’s Farm is a nice place, best coffee

I’ve ever drank! Try to go to the crater & some of the other big

Parks, also consider a side trip to Zanzibar, you are already over

there? Have a great & safe trip.

Posts: 521 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BwanaJay is on point regarding the Legendary Coffee Lodge. It has a spectacular view of Mt. Meru and beautiful grounds. Lots of security and excellent service.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would love to hunt Tanzania, but I am always put off by the fact you have to pay a couple hundred dollars or so, just to bring your own gun in for a couple of weeks.

At any rate, have a great, safe trip, and be sure to share photos of your trophies!

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What mufasa said about the coffee lodge. They x-ray your bags to get into the lobby at check in, but rifles don't bother them. Guess they're looking for explosives.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
What mufasa said about the coffee lodge. They x-ray your bags to get into the lobby at check in, but rifles don't bother them. Guess they're looking for explosives.

Lavaca, not sure which "coffee lodge" you refer to but no such "x-ray process" occurs at Legendary Coffee Lodge.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're ever at the domestic air terminal in Dar, DO NOT park here:

Posts: 257 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Back home yet?

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwanamich:

Thought that was where we stayed last year, but apparently not. This last year has been a blur. So how did it go, JTEX? Looking forward to hearing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrjulian_1970:
If you're ever at the domestic air terminal in Dar, DO NOT park here:

Obviously a highly restricted and sensitive area within the domestic air terminal and better still, not to be too inquisitive as the warning is loud and clear in 2 languages.

BTW just by taking & publicizing the photo alone can land you in hot water.