Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://allafrica.com/stories/202010020189.html

Rwanda: Wildlife Conservation to Go Commercial Under New Law

1 OCTOBER 2020
The New Times (Kigali)
By Julius Bizimungu

Private companies seeking to venture into wildlife conservation for commercial gain will now be allowed to do so, thanks to a new law that governs biological diversity and wildlife in Rwanda, whose draft was approved by the cabinet last week.

The legislation comes at a time Rwanda has invested significant resources in wildlife conservation and restoration of biodiversity - the country is now home to the Big Five and has restored two million hectares of deforested land.

Officials believe it will enable the country to achieve its conservation goals, and go along to provide more opportunities to the local communities to do business beyond ecology.

"The law is coming along with flexibilities for the public of Rwanda to be able to do business in wildlife," Eugene Mutangana, the head of conservation at the Rwanda Development Board told The New Times.

This means conservancies, community or privately-owned lands set aside for conservation to safeguard wildlife whether for commercial interests or not, will be allowed.

"Let's say if one wanted to do crocodile farming, or if you wanted to acquire 1,000 hectares along Akagera National Park to let wildlife wander in your farm, you would be allowed to do so. That was not possible before," he noted.

The law allows private firms to do wildlife businesses such as game ranching, sport hunting, and wildlife-based tourism, among others, provided they meet all the requirements.

Experts believe national legislation that grants rights over wildlife ownership, communal and private landowners can develop enterprises on the land they have set aside for protection based on a benefit-sharing model.

For tourism-based ventures like eco-lodges, conservancy entrance fees, bed night charges, and other services direct benefits to owners in the form of revenues, jobs, and economic empowerment.

Conservancies, on the other hand, deliver even more, by providing equitable and inclusive governance over resources so that the ecological systems underpinning human wellbeing remain healthy.

Already, people like Olivier Nsengimana, a renowned conservationist, have revamped a popular wetland formerly called Bambino Supercity along the Kigali-Rwamagana road, into a nature reserve for wild crowned cranes.

Umusambi Village is a new sanctuary for crowned crane birds that can no longer fly, a reserve to all crane birds confiscated from private gardens around Kigali and other parts.

The village is a 21-hectare nature reserve, the first of its kind in Kigali that will allow visitors to enjoy walking trails while learning about the importance of protecting natural environments.

It is currently home to over 70 endangered grey crowned cranes rescued from the illegal pet trade, according to the Rwanda Wildlife Conservation Association.

Protection of species

According to Mutangana, the law will also enable Rwanda to protect some of the endangered wildlife animals including the Big Five - lions, leopards, rhinos, elephants and African buffalos.

"In Rwanda, we have acquired species that need high levels of protection, namely the African elephants, eastern black rhinos, lions, and leopards, among others," he said.

"These are species that are in category one of protection, which means that some of them are critically endangered and they need high level protection," he added.

Rwanda is a signatory to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora and the International Convention on Biological Diversity and its Habitat whose common aim is to prohibit international trade in specimens of wild animals and plants.

The law comes along with modalities, penalties and punishments that are well spelt out in the law that authorities think will help them protect the endangered wildlife species.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting thought. Hunting may be more difficult to pull off that Rwanda realizes.

Game comes out of Akagera into crop land. Also south of the park, buffalo cross the swamp/river from Tanzania and raid crops. Landowners call the game department. The game department doesn't have rifles. They have to call the military who occasionally come by and shoot some buff with an ak. Then the buff start raiding at night for a few months then the process is repeated, or at least that is how it worked 3-5 years ago.

The problem is all this land is pretty much developed into farm land. Moving people off to create a hunting concession may be difficult.

In the article, the country seems like they could get 1,000 h together for a concession. Most hunters would not want to hunt on an area that small.

A few years ago there were rules/laws limiting the amount of land people could have. 1,000 h was way over what the law was if I am remembering correctly.

Rwanda was called the Switzerland of Africa for a reason. It is a beautiful place. Hopefully something comes of this so hunters will want to visit.

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quite a few years ago, Buffalo hunts were sold there . There were some incredibly wide buff taken.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We were in Rwanda last September, it is a beautiful country dotted with what look like small farms, seems like nearly hillside we flew over had at least one mine dug into the side. We flew from Kamembe Airport in Cyangugu on the border with DRC to Kigali in a helicopter so we’re able to see quite a bit. Didn’t see any game animals or large tracts of forest but we saw only a small portion of the country. I would like to visit Rwanda again sometime. Kigali Airport had the strictest security of any airport I have ever been thru. Every vehicle (Including taxis)and piece of baggage was searched prior to entering airport grounds and every passenger had to go thru a body scan to enter the airport. Searched twice more inside before boarding. I hope they do manage to offer some sort of hunting.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2899 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So what would be available? Other than buff, potentially.

Posts: 10318 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
So what would be available? Other than buff, potentially.

There is nothing unusual that is endemic to the area that I can think of.

Buff, eland, impala, croc, hippo, oribi, topi, giraffe. There are more animals I am not remembering. Of course if they went high fence, it could be anything.

This reminds me of the attempt that was made maybe 15 years ago to put a high fence operation in Malawi. It wasn't very big and we didn't hear about it for very long.

Something like croc farming may work well.

Rwanda has had amazing success with gorilla tours. The rate was around $750 for around 1/2 day a few years ago. My guess is they think this will extrapolate to ungulates.

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Quite a few years ago, Buffalo hunts were sold there . There were some incredibly wide buff taken.

In the early 90's when I was hunting exclusively with French and Belgian hunters , Rwanda was a very popular destination for European hunters.

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you know the prices and conditions?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kathi, This is very interesting. I will keep an eye on it.
As K Evans stated it is reportedly a beautiful country.
It has a frightening history with the genocide. I have read Shake Hands With The Devil, and Machete Season.
I understand it is a safe country now.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote