THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    A bullet in the gut makes me spry....375 H&H story
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A bullet in the gut makes me spry....375 H&H story
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Has any one tried the 375 H&H 270 gr Trophy bonded sledge hammers ??

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have the 270 tbsh are a good bullet unfortunatly i havnt used them on anything of real big size the only thing i have shot with them are hogs and a eland on a exotics ranch up here in canada.

they worked perfectly.

but i prefer monolithic solids my self i used the tbsh to see how well they shot and they worked no better no less
than the monos.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Nickudu

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread. I really wish someone would answer the question I asked in the first reply to 500grains topic:
Quote:

Which cartridges "have the gusto to penetrate to the vitals" with a soft directed through the stomach? The smaller bullets lack the weight and the bigger bullets have too much frontal area. All that wet grass makes a pretty effective bullet trap.

Jason

To clarify my question by "soft" I meant lead core jacketed soft point such as the one pictured in the original post. These threads are lead astray because the poster chooses to ignore any irrefutable argument which undermines the point he was trying to make in starting the thread.

I will ask the question again. Which cartridge "has the gusto to penetrate to the vitals" with a lead core jacketed soft (of similar construction to the one pictured) when directed through the stomach of a cape buffalo?

Jason

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't suppose there is any such bullet in .375 that will work 100% of the times. more like once in ten/twelve attempts IMO. Such shots should be with solids only. I would hesitate to take that shot with a .450 caliber bullet of your description too.

Good point.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jason, I am generalizing, not pointing fingers. Your point may be valid and yet it may not be, as I'm sure the .375 has killed on countless raking shots of this type, with many a softpoint. It seems to me that all one can say is that a conventionally constructed softpoint was found in the wall of the rumen and was there long enough to get tissued over and display some reaction to the disgestive processes. From what was stated, can we be certain it had been a rear quartering shot? All I'd draw from this is that the employment of monolithic softs makes good sense in many ways, including the increase in plausible shot presentation.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote