New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting elephant in Niassa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am closing the booking of a hunt in Niassa. The area where the hunt is to take place is between Marrupa and Nipepe. Ele and plains game. The area seems to be quite far south of the Niassa Reseve itself. Probably a bit less game, but I would appreciate to know anybody with first hand experience hunting Niassa and thereabouts.

Any help or comments would be very much appreciatted.

Posts: 54 | Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil | Registered: 08 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Not to sure about south of Marrupa but north would have to be one of the best areas to take an 80 pounder these days.
Kambako Safaris is about 100mls north east of Marrupa where they take at least one 80lbs+ bull each season on a tight quota.
They have just taken another monster from that area.
Kambako also hunt Ele on a block outside of the Niassa controled area.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good area for elephant, best in October and November but elephant the whole year around, good sable, plenty leopard, Lichtenstein’s hartebeest, good Kudu, good Eland, some other PG some Lions. Few Buffalo
Nice Country good climate, plenty tsetse Big Grin

Posts: 395 | Location: Mozambique | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great help! I am just a bit curious about how much people (and thus poaching) there are further south, far from the Niassa reserve itself. But if there are good Sable, Kudu and Eland, then it is be reasonble condition?

Freischuetz, have you been there?

Thanks once again.

Posts: 54 | Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil | Registered: 08 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
If you're an American, please be aware that you won't be able to import any ivory or other Elephant parts from Mozambique into the US.

Everything else is a go, but the USF&WS hasn't agreed to Moz elephant as of yet -- and I'm not holding my breath.

Sad, but true.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was trying to deduce if you were in the US or not as well. If it's not in your signature it helps if you say where you are. OHH is absolutley correct. No ele trophy allowed in the US at this time. It's my understanding that USFWS is just dragging ass on processing the data, years worth, but then they require years worth.

It's 50/50 that Moz will be my first destination and I have been in contact with a well established outfitter operating there. Cabo Delgado, inland, incl Niassa, is one of the last wild places in Africa.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for not posting in my signature. I am from Brasil, so not only I can bring the ivory as I speak portuguese, what may help enjoying even more the experience.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Being able to speak the language helps up there but some times it helps not to know like one night when heading back to Pemba I was pulled over by the Police and It was obvious he wanted some $$ but with the PH asleep and me not knowing what the guy was saying, he gave up and let us through.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ddouble:
Great help! I am just a bit curious about how much people (and thus poaching) there are further south, far from the Niassa reserve itself. But if there are good Sable, Kudu and Eland, then it is be reasonble condition?

Freischuetz, have you been there?

Thanks once again.

Ddouple

Yes I have been there and most places in Mozambique, I travel on average 20 000 to 30 000 km each year in Mozambique, being one of the oldest safari operators (since 1993) and having also 2 hunting concessions a game farm and an environmental consulting company in Mozambique I think I am qualified to say that poaching is a national pastime in Mozambique and that includes all reserves and national parks! A good operator actually does more good in protecting an area then any of the parks.

The biggest advantage of Niassa is the relative low human population and the abounded tsetse fly’s, at least for now!

For the near future my guess is that Niassa will get even better as more and more areas are open up and the provincial government has zoned the province for agriculture and conservation / tourism development.

As posted by other members USFW blocking importation of elephant trophies to the states however there is a legal CITES quota of 40 elephants or 80 tusk for 2008 issued and Europeans and South Americans have no problem to import legal elephant trophies from Mozambique.

Hope that helps

Enjoy your trip

Posts: 395 | Location: Mozambique | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
F
Reading Manners it seems that there are (were)some good genes for big ivory in the Marrupa region.were all the big tuskers killed during the war?

what is the best way to go to Marrupa, Pemba or Lichinga?