THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Quantity of pemethrin pump and type/quantity of deet

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quantity of pemethrin pump and type/quantity of deet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For a 2 week trip to swamps for two people. Looking to treat clothes and take some with me for re treatment for two people. Also type and quantity of quality deet or non deet lotion. I assume I could double the recommended dose but looking for practical experience. Like NOT washing clothes everyday etc. Time is getting short so getting the gear together.

Thanks for any info

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I've used different brands of Permethrin spray, depending on what's available, and all work. If you are going to wear 2 or 3 sets of hunting clothing, you will not need to re-treat your clothing on a 14 day trip as the Permethrin lasts through multiple washings. Readily available and on the internet.

For personal repellant I have been using the 3M Ultrathon lotion (34.34% Deet) for many years with satisfactory results. It is now available with a sponge applicator - very convenient. This is the formula that was adopted, following extensive worldwide testing, by the U.S. military and is current issue. You don't need a higher concentration of Deet. Readily available in drug stores or on the internet, including Cabela's. If I recall correctly, the shelf life is 5 years. The aerosol and pump spray does not last as long as the lotion.

BTW, a M.D. hunting partner and I did an anecdotal study of Ultrathon v. Tetse Flies in Mozambique in 2005 and we believe it does have some effect on lessening the number of fly bites.

Hope this helps. Good luck on your safari.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rather than the pump, I have used the soak kits. They seem to be getting hard to find but here is a link:

http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-...egory.cgi?item=03502

+1 on the Ultrathon, good stuff.

405wcf

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the permethrin, treat and don't worry about it for a trip of that duration. As far as personal repellants, I got some from my "travel medicine" place in Houston that works as good as any but I can't remember what it is called.

Posts: 10307 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks good info, I have used chinook med before. How long will a 3-4 oz ultrathon last in that environment? a couple days or more for 2 people? Just guessing how many to bring.

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
Thanks good info, I have used chinook med before. How long will a 3-4 oz ultrathon last in that environment? a couple days or more for 2 people? Just guessing how many to bring.

Depends on how much coverage you need. If you wear long pants and LS shirts, then obviously you don't need that much coverage. I hunt mostly in shorts and SS shirts in africa, so I need more coverage. I'd plan on two tubes of Ultrathon each and take an extra, so 5 tubes should be enough, IMO. You don't need to overdo the insect repellant.

Oh, and put the sunscreen on before breakfast and let it absorb for 30 minutes before applying the Ultrathon. I find I need to re-apply the sunscreen more often than the bug juice. Take both on the truck with you.

Take a simple headnet for both of you. They work to keep the Mopane Bees off your face if you go into a blind - alternatively, have your tracker light small piles of Ele dung on fire around you; it will keep the insects at bay.

And ensure you both take your anti-malarial meds as prescribed! I keep mine next to my toothbrush and take it when I get out of bed in the morning.

Don't be overly concerned about the bugs, just be prepared and enjoy your safari.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Lionhunter, good advice. I was advised to go long pants and shirt in the swamps, and I assume there are lots of nasty bugs in there.

Thanks to all the good info here

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I've hunted those swamps, and yes, you want to wear long pants and shirts. The only viable alternative, and one that many of the PHs from Zambezi Delta Safaris choose, is to wear a pair of cotton coveralls. Back in 2005 I took a cotton camo flight suit that worked well for me. I gave it to one of the PHs when I departed. If you can find them they are worth the price.

Avoid leather footwear! The Converse Chuck Taylor All Star canvas high top basketball shoes will work and are lightweight, cheap and readily available. I wear a pair of salt flats canvas fishing boots when I hunt the swamps. They're designed for wading/fishing the Florida salt flats.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heard about the CT's interesting on flight suit....

White Mountains Arizona