Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Tastiest African animal?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Rikkie,
I certainly would have tried it, but had commited myself to deep into har(ass)ing my friend. If I had eaten some then I'd be left open for the (butt) of his jokes. I'll try it next time I'm over, maybe he will have forgotten by then!

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
We only eat venison in our house,I love Blue Wildebeest. I let my meat hang for 10 days before cutting it up. The best steak and kidney is the heart instead of steak, that's num-num. The whole head salted and with a bit of white pepper,rolled into tinfoil and slowly cooked next to the fire is a feast. The brains with salt and pepper on toast is also a winner

Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
Tony.

when you are out here again try for a better word Kudu or eland brains, IT does not sound very nice but cooked correctly it is divine, it has been a few years since I have eaten it, but my mother used to make them with a small amount of spices and then salt and peper, I realy dont know how she did it but it is great eating, but I have to say some people don't like the idea and the sight of the brains.

Eland is for me tops with gemsbok second, I suspect Sprinbuck neckts, but I am very fond of my Kudu biltong, I don't like fat on my biltong ( I know most people think I am crasy) so I prefer for biltong Kudu and Gemsbuck before Eland, I have not tried Sprinbuck biltong, they are just to small for me to go and do all the trouble for making biltong.

Flip

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TSJ - Your declining the offer of 'Kudu Asshole' (Called 'puffadder' locally), puts you squarely in the category of the 'unfortunate uninformed'.

Another variation on the theme is 'skilpaadjies' (little tortoises). This is minced liver wrapped in sheep (or Impala etc.) stomach fat.

Why do you think the locals 'spirit' these internal bits away soon after they are removed? Those guys know a thing or two

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote