New
Find
Notify
Tools

African buffalo senses....how good?
 Login/Join

posted
Hi everyone, first post here.

For those with field experience, what is your impression as to the quality of the buffalo's various senses?

I've read that their eye-sight and hearing are poor, but their sense of smell outstanding. Is this about right?

Capstick seemed to think the buff's eye-sight
and hearing were very good.

Opinions?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've read that their eye-sight and hearing are poor, but their sense of smell outstanding. Is this about right?

Thats generaly true.
Movements are another Story.

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
mbogo 33 , all three are very good , of course as the animal is feeding with his eyes and ears deep in the grass its easier to get closer , however head up and alert , they see , smell and hear great ...

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome! Sense of smell seems like the big one to me. They are very alert ........wary of preditors. Dr.C

At Home on the Range-Texas Panhandle

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Ivan. Wink

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Being hunted by humans and Lions for as long as they have has set them up pretty well.
When stalking deer I am always amazed how far of the Cattle spot you, well before the deer.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Here is Walters answer:

"If you are hunting one, he will see you through trees, he will smell you even when you are down wind, and he can hear the fart you did in camp 6 hours easrlier! If you are not hunting, he is as deaf sa a door mouse, as blind as a bat, and smells as good as me when I have a cold"

There you have it, from the mouth of our esteemed, grand, buffalo hunter. He has been able to kill TWO buffalo in all his years of hunting Africa!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
How true Roll Eyes

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends how hard they been hunted or poached. If they been hunted hard they are very alert !

Robert Johnson

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
The only sense that is not well developed is their sense of humor

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
jumping jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hear! Hear!

clap clap

Posts: 60 | Location: Portugal | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Regarding vision, there are plenty of scientific studies regarding this sense on bovines (buffalo included).
All bovines do not really have very good binocular vision, as their eyes are located on the sides of the head. When they look ahead (as when they are staring at you) they can judge distances but they lack detail. For this, picking details, they use their peripheral vision, i.e., when they turn their head 90º to you.
So, if the nyati was looking at you and then turn its head, don't move! He is checking all details and validating whether you're a threat or not by use of his single eye.

Posts: 60 | Location: Portugal | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375 fanatic:
The only sense that is not well developed is their sense of humor

LOL!! That was very funny, sir! jumping

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Here is Walters answer:

"If you are hunting one, he will see you through trees, he will smell you even when you are down wind, and he can hear the fart you did in camp 6 hours earlier! "

Saeed,

You got to stop serving Walter Mexican food in camp. I thought I heard him here.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Their sences are very good, particularly smell..Their main weakness is memory, they smell you and run like hell for a short distance then forget why they are running and stop and start grazing again, then they repeat this scenario again as you approach carelessly or the wind changes and off they go again for a short distance..Normally on the 3rd time you jump them they will get it right and then go to the next concession or perhaps to Dar es Salaam or even So. Africa! nilly

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote