Find
Notify
Tools

Discount Lord Derby Eland Hunt
 Login/Join

Picture of T.Carr
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Received this email and thought I would pass it along. I haven't used this booking agent or outfitter so do your homework.

Lord Derby Eland Safari

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a heck of an eland on that picture!

I have booked with Safari Outfitters in the past. I could not say anything negative about that experience. FWIW.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Deals that are too good to be true, frequently are too good to be true. Let's hope this is a legit offer as it looks like a hunt of lifetime.

Posts: 265 | Location: Hammertown, USA | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
vinny,

It looks like they've applied someone's deposit toward the daily rate, so the price would be right.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The company offering it sends me emails all of the time for hunts in Africa, Russia, Mongolia, etc. They've been around for a long time but I haven't checked them out.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Safari Outfitters is one of the big 3 in America.

I have known Clark a long time.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've booked 2 hunts thru safari outfitters, both with dave hagstrom. I knew lloyd zeeman for years before he started the outfit, now gretchan stark his old secretary owns it. The 1st hunt was OK in matesi, but only because i got extremely lucky, the 2nd was in zambia whee I got royally burnt, best PH I ever had but the outfitter was a louse. Gretchan would not stand behind me whatsoever. Ended up going to SCI ethics committee with the hunt. haven't even considered them since

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Is that a Nyala in the bottom Photo?

FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fallow Buck:
Is that a Nyala in the bottom Photo?

FB

It's a sitatunga.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
I've booked 2 hunts thru safari outfitters, both with dave hagstrom. I knew lloyd zeeman for years before he started the outfit, now gretchan stark his old secretary owns it. The 1st hunt was OK in matesi, but only because i got extremely lucky, the 2nd was in zambia whee I got royally burnt, best PH I ever had but the outfitter was a louse. Gretchan would not stand behind me whatsoever. Ended up going to SCI ethics committee with the hunt. haven't even considered them since

Thanks for that information.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:

butch,

Did the SCI Ethics Committee do anything about your claim?

George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Additionally....Shouldn't this be in the classified section anyway???

JW

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Wemmer:
Additionally....Shouldn't this be in the classified section anyway???

JW

No, since Terry doesn't have any financial interest in selling the hunt. It was posted as an 'FYI'.

George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OOPS! thumb I get it!

Jeff

Sorry Terry - wasn't trying to sabotage yourt post. beer

one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Being among the rare hunters here having hunted the CAR?
Back from the CAR

I would like to give you my opinion.
Note I don't know the outfitter, which is not abnormal for I am a Frenchman.

Concerning the trip and the pricing.

The price is absolutely fantastic. Last year I hunted 15 days for this price, bagging a Derby eland, a lion, a hardbeest, a yellow-backed duiker and a baboon.
I am reluctant about the so called world records : the Eland world record was shot in 1967 by Quintard, 1m23, in the CAR
The best Great Kudu was shot by M.G.Rous in RSA 1m816 in the beginning of the xxth century.
There is no CAR kudus (east kudu) among the to 30.
One can shoot a Giant forest hog, a sitatunga, a bongo in the CAR (or in Cameroon) in fair chase should one be able to trek a long time into the jungle, place where if You see your left hand, you can't see your right's, place where one cover 1/3 mile an hour, temperature flirting with 100°F.

Kudu : the only place where Kudu is roaming is the Kudu reserve ; the cost to fly to this place is 6000 $.

To conclude, the best outfitters claim 40 000$ for 2 weeks. International flights > 4 000$, taxi flights 6-8000 $. Game fees : 8000 $.

Then, 28 days are currently costing about 100 000$.

Then, 28 days are currently costing about 100 000$. Note we aren't speaking of lion, leopard. In any case, the ele is protected, which means it's shot nights & days by poachers from any countries.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Wemmer:
Additionally....Shouldn't this be in the classified section anyway???JW
Even IF Terry was selling the hunt, there is no reason to put it in the "classifieds", this is the African forum. Let's please not have a knee-jerk reaction prohibiting PH's/guides, outfitters and agents from posting specials here (unless perhaps there was a dedicated forum). The forum has moderated itself nicely over the 3+ years that I have been participating.

There are many good deals posted by legit individuals, and it would be a shame to have these posted elsewhere where few people see them. To me, this is one of the benefits of being an "AR regular", to have an opportunity at end of season and reduced price hunts. JMO. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote