Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Just Got Home.....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Mark,

Welcome home and congratulations on a successful trip. Sorry we just missed you at the Afton House but we had a pleasant surprise when we found that someone had left a bottle of South African cabernet there for us (Thanks!!). It is now safely back in the US. When you have recovered from jet lag and have your pictures come on over to our house and we can swap stories and drink some wine.

We also had a good trip in Namibia. I didn�t get the 60� kudu I was looking for and passed on several opportunities for kudu in the 56-57� range since I had taken a 58� one last year. I did collect a mountain zebra, Livingston eland, warthog, blesbok, Namibian oryx, and an exceptionally nice Damara dik-dik.

Jack

Posts: 64 | Location: SoCal USA | Registered: 16 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
Hello everyone!

Shumba (Tim Helgeson) and I just got in from Chewore an hour or two ago...38 hours on planes...blah!!!

Too tired and whacked to do too much, but in a nutshell, we had a great trip. We took a couple nice buff, Tim got a record book Eland, we got a couple zebra, some warthogs, kudu, I shot a bull hippo, we shot some impala, a bushbuck, a bunch of birds, etc... it was fantastic.

The Airbus SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got re-seated four times on the way back. I honestly think that airline should be sued for cruel and unusual punishment. I nearly went to blows with the guy in front of me at one point for repeatedly leaning forward and throwing all his weight backwards trying to force the seat to recline more,,,into my 6'7" knees. I asked to be bumped to biz class, and handed the steward my Visa card, but no upgrades in-flight. All the other flights, LA-NY, Harare to JIB were fine. That damn French POS is a torture chamber.

Afton house was a dream. Met us and whisked us through customs etc.. like a VIP line.

AR member "Rancher Jack" and his wife was at Afton House, and our pal "Retreever" from PA spotted my AR hat at the Harare Airport. He and his lovely wife were headed home as well. He took a buff, and an elephant, and his son beat his best bushbuck, so I guess he needs to go back and redeem himself.

Well, that's it. A quick update befor I hit the rack. Full reports from all of us to follow soon....

PS, Congrat's on a good trip and a great performance by Saeed's little bro...

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Mark:

Welcome home, and it sounds like you guys had a great trip! I will be looking forward to seeing your photos, and receiving a live report from you and Tim somewhere this fall.

Dave

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
Welcome back Mark

Congratulations to a good hunt and a nice experience. I love to hear more about it.

Sorry about the plane but next year I do the booking for you and it will be more comfartable (Storage.....)

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sound like you had a blast.!

Would you guy's leave the dam Kudo alone .!!

there Mine.! all mine

It sound's like i won't be taking any Airbus's any time soon

you guy's did take a photo of the Eland ? right.

What i would really like to hear about is the bird hunting

anything interesting ?

The hippo sound interesting what did thay tap you for he tag for one and was it worth it or did thay just do the normal thing and drive you right up to the spot and point it out ...

Post some picture's if you can .

The hippo i gotta see ...

Well sound like you really did have a good time

this after noon i emailed Saeed he was stuck in the Sea Cliff Hotel in Dar with Ray and Horst ...and thay were heading home tonight

Anyway post some picture's' when you get a chance

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The hippo sound interesting what did thay tap you for he tag for one

+++++++ $1500 +++++++++

and was it worth it or did thay just do the normal thing and drive you right up to the spot and point it out ...

++++++++++ Shit no! The hippo stalks were the hardest we made in terms os stealthiness! We covered maybe a mile or possibly less on most stalks, but they are super weary and bolt at the moment they detect your presence. In fact, I would say they are more weary than a buff. Bulls are very difficult to seperate from the cows (for me anyway), and i did not simply snipe one. The approach was usually climbing up steep eroded banks from the shore line upriver, clawing our way a hundred or more yards above the water level. We had several that ended up with us peeping over the ridge at the last minute, only to find the whole pod was gone, or the bulls had left the area....

+++++++

Post some picture's if you can .

The hippo i gotta see ...

++++++++++++++++++

That's part of the story you'll have to wait for......

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
N'gagi

What are you doing out of bed guy.!!

Jet lag alone should have knocked you back atleast 2 day's if not more..

The hippo hunt sound like just my cup of tea..
Although? as fat as i am i would hate to be mistaken for
one creeping through the pond after my own shot..

And 1500 that's not bad at all in fact i would rather take two hippo's at that price then one smelly buffalo

i take it you were not using a 30/30 Winchester on the hippo

Were did you start on the stalk. i know you said about a mile or so but .How high were the bank's on the river/pond
was there any brush you could have walked through instead of being close to the river/pond on your approch
Did the guide stay back when you edged your way up the side of the bank.

how big was the bull hippo from end to end...

And last but not least did you leave ME one

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Mark, we will look forward to a full report and lots of photos! Glad you both had a great time.

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you both had a great hunt Mark.

We got back this morning too.

Sorry about your problems on the plane. It is Airbus fault, it is the arline. They decide the density of the seating.

They had an interview with my younger brother, in which he told them he remembers the days when he used to sit on my lap, so I can shoulder the gun and he can pull the trigger. We made a great team, dropping many pigeons and doves that way with a 410.

You can imagine how proud we all are of his Glympic Gold Medal.

Posts: 68694 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you had a good hunt. Chewore is a great place.

Posts: 19363 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Mark

I bet you wrestled the buffalo to the ground.

Happy you had a great trip.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great trip!

I just tried uploading some photos, but the uploading feature of www.hunt101.com is down for upgrades.

I have to run to work, but will try to upload the photos and share the stories when I get home this evening.

I shot a great eland (40") but one of his horns was broken at the tip. Still a great trophy, and hunt, for me.

It was a 7 day buff hunt and in addition to my buff, I really only wanted to take an eland, zebra & bushbuck. I ended up getting them all as well as a few others (impala, baboon, warthog, a 55" kudu, and lots of birds).

I look forward to sharing more tonight!

Saeed, hope you guys had a great safari as well! Also, congratulations to your brother, truly a great accomplishment!

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can open a free account at www.imagestation.com. It is easier to use than hunt101.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote