New
Find
Notify
Tools

African fire pit pictures
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was think about doing some sort of African fire pit set up at the house this spring and I was wondering if any of you guys had some pics for inspiration. Thanks

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Does this one help?

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was hunting with my good friend Vaughn Fulton in the Caprivi. We came in one evening and the camp manager has made a fire pit from termite mound dirt and buff shit. Vaughn was so proud. I had a ball giving him shit about it. no pun intended. After a couple of fires it cracked all up.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
David,

That is killing me...I am sitting here having a drink waiting to go out to dinner with 10 friends in winter in a city in KY (not very exciting)...that photo makes me remember after dinners having a drink and listening to lions roar in the distance while eles are cracking branches just below camp. Sure beats my seat right now!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Tim,

It shall happen again very soon my friend.

David

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
This is probably no help but... A picture taken while camping in the Caprivi Strip.

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pictures. Brings back fond memories. Keep em coming. Smiler

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post

This one is on a flat concrete and stone patio. It is not recessed but is flush with the surrounding surface.

When I asked why they did that instead of recessing it they explained that it is easier to scoop out and brush off the ashes the next day. It made sense to me.

I built one at my reloading room which is recessed and it is a pain to keep it cleaned out.

Also the rain and snow will partially fill them up even if you leave a hole in the bottom because it plugs up with ashes.

PS: If possible have a hose bib located near the fire pit. Its handy to wash the area down but also to spray the fire when you are ready to leave it.

(The one I built outside my reloading building. It has a bowl shaped recess with rocks set in the concrete around the perimeter. After my experience with this I would not recess it next time - in fact I will probably fill it with concrete to the top of the rocks this summer)

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually the best fireplace in the bush is not a pit, but rather a raised round flat surface that distributes the heat better to those sitting around it and is easier to clear off.

Regards

That's a pofadder on the grill...

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am looking at putting in a fire pit at my new place.

Most of the fire pits I have seen in Africa are made of concrete, either flat or slightly dished. They are easier to clean than a it dug in the ground. Every day all the ash was cleaned up.

I might get one of the metal fire pits on legs and put rock or brick under it, as I think it would be easy to keep clean as well, and it could be moved if necessary.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Carney:
Actually the best fireplace in the bush is not a pit, but rather a raised round flat surface that distributes the heat better to those sitting around it and is easier to clear off.

Regards

That's a pofadder on the grill...

that poffadder looks delicious

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
+1 Tim

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
God I want to go back! I have cabin fever so bad right now I cant stand it. It has been a long cold winter. I can almost smell the mopane and lead wood. Only way to get something resembling pofader here is to make it myself. Since I am about the only one who eats it dont do it very often. I can however get everyone to try the boerwors. You guys are not helping my withdrawl.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GeoffM24,

Hope this helps, its big enough to get plenty of guys around it and kink their feet up on it.

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pics and ideas guys thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The real question is...Where can I get mopane in firewood quantities? Wink

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Monduli

Moyowosi

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
the night is still young

after a few beers and a heated discussion

one of the perty animals in the bush that alwys visit the fire place

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Don't stop the pics! Oh, for the smell of a leadwood fire burning, with the darkened sky brilliant with the Southern constellations, and the familiar night sounds of Africa! thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:

My wife loves this one!

one of us
posted Hide Post
My leopard trip in 2007 was over our anniversary, and my wife was resigned to it being "my" vacation. My PH was recently engaged, and his fiance would have nothing but the best for us.

Little did my wife know that my friends had thought out the perfect African sunset experience, and prepared an evening for the two of us. This was the kopje that he proposed on.

Leaving us to ourselves, my rifle wielding tracker retired to the darkness with the Jack Russel, and we found a quietness together we had forgotten existed. Words failed me at the peacefulness of the occassion.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote