New
Find
Notify
Tools

.458 Lott Factory Ammo
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been trying to get a few boxes of .458 Lott ammo (Hornady) loaded with 500 grains soft nose. First it was back ordered until August, then Sept. Now it is mid Novmeber. Any other source of Factory loaded 500 softs? I used to get it from A Square but don't even know if they are still in business.

Rich ELliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Rich,

PM sent.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Rich,

I have new Lott casings and if interested I can get them loaded with my hunting load of 83 gr of 4320...They shoot superbly out of my Ruger m77 mag chambered in the Lott...

Mike

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I have 3 boxes coming from Georges source. I have a set of .458 Lott dies and lots of old .375 H&H brass to fireform with the new Hornady loads coming out, we wanted to try them out. My last handloads were a bit HOT! Big difference between the SW mt's and the Sala River area temperature wise. Also, the s/n bullets seem to pressure up more than the old solids did with the same powder weight.

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich, I know what you mean about temperature differences. Last winter here in Louisana I tested a load in my 450 Ackley with 450 grain Barnes X and about 6 weeks ago the same load was very sticky in the chamber.

Mike

Posts: 1878 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand the Hornady enhanced stuff is giving pressure problems...The 458 raises its ugly head once again..lack of powder capacity...better to handload it...

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

What is velocity does the Hornady ammo list and at which pressure?

A 458 Lott owner claimed the actuall advantage of lott is around 150 fps compared to the 458 Win, anyone who has simular experience?

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
This is only my opinion, but the origenal 458 Win Mag was supposed to give a duplicate of the old, and then discontinued, 450NE 3 1/4" ballisticly! That was 2150 fps with a 500 gr soft, or solid. It didn't have enough powder capacity, and IMO, the 458 LOTT is what the 458 Win Mag should have been in the first place! With my 458 LOTT I loaded it to that velocity (2150 fps), and it never gave me any trouble in hot weather. I loaded mine with Barnes 500 gr super solids, in front of 73.5 grs IMR 4064, and got a consistant average 2158 fps +/- 8 fps, @ 100 degrees F, In El Paso, Texas July weather, @ 4800 feet above sea level!

The recoil was tolerable, in a 9 lb FN mauser bolt rifle, and did a fine job on a big Zim Buffalo, in the very cool 25 C ( 80 deg F)! I never used a soft point in it, however!

I simply don't see the need for anything faster than 2150 with a 500 gr solid. You have to be careful about shoot through even at 2150 fps.

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents,

What kind of interest would there be out there for Lott's at 2150 with 500's?

Roger QSL

Posts: 1409 | Location: S. E. ARIZONA | Registered: 05 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm just a candy-assed 416 shooter, maybe that's why the Lott at 2150 makes much more sense to me. Adequate power/penetration, reliable extraction & more controllable. It seems like tastes great & less filling all rolled into one.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

That was 2150 fps with a 500 gr soft, or solid

The 450 does this at below 38K pressure. That's the problem with the LOTT, is it takes 50K plus to do this velocity.

Still, it is the best current solution, or take the 416 Rigby and neck it up to 458...

s

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

What kind of interest would there be out there for Lott's at 2150 with 500's?

Your best bet to sell this would be to publish the pressures at 2150, 2200, 2250,2300, and let the shooter choose how much he wanted to be abused...

I'd like to see the pressures myself...

s

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Quote:

The 450 does this at below 38K pressure. That's the problem with the LOTT, is it takes 50K plus to do this velocity.
s

Gentlemen

It seems Rigby has done it twice, first the 416 Rigby and later the 450 Ribgy Rimless.

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting the 450 grain X bullet which is a wonderful bullet in this diameter. I have recovered exactly one bullet in well over 100 animals, all others have exited. The velocity is 2300-2325fps. Many people have shot this rifle and few have complained about recoil at all.

There is no doubt that a 500 grain quality bullet at 2100 plusFPS is a serious load and will provide all a sport hunter could want. I also think as much depends on the bullet used as the velocity it's shot at.

Using a standard factory or standard construction softpoint at 2100plus would be pushing the limits with that projectile. Using a bonded core bullet is far better. If your rifle shoots the X bullet you can shoot about any velocity you want but the petals will break off over 2350fps when solid mass or bone is hit.

The one recoverd bullet I have looks like a short piece of copper rod with rifling marks on it. There are no petals on it. Many others I have seen show the same lack of retained petals. A few have a petal or two. I have seen only a handfull with perfect mushrooms out of the Lott, and those were shot at 2100-2200 fps according to the owners(PH's) who are very good about the details.

X bullets Exit almost as frequently as solids with the added advantage of some expansion. This bullet with reasonable velocity is very good on the bigger thick skinned game the Lott was designed for. A 500 grain X bullet at 2100-2200fps would be about the perfect all around load for the Lott, as is the 450 grain load at 2200-2300

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We had several boxes of the old A Square 465 grain loads. I had no idea what the velocity was but they worked fine on Nile Buffalo. The 450 - 465 grain bullets may very well be more usefull than the 500 grain.

Rich Elliott

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, again, the 500 grain soft nose loads are on back order but this time no projected date for delivery.
Hornady must be having the same problem with the soft nose loads that I was having loading them myself..

Rich Elliott

one of us
posted Hide Post
I loaded my Lott at 2350 with a 500 gr. bullet and hunted in terribly hot weather without a problem other than it kicked the snot out of me everytime I pulled the trigger..It sure killed like the hammer of Thor...I sold it based on its recoil...Where the hell was Mac when I needed him...What a splendid idea, just load it to 2100 FPS, what a difference that would have made...good show!

So maybe I will build another!!

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Ray

Did you ever had ignition problems with these 2350fps, loads. I know people who had problems with ignition due to compressed loads or powder clumping. What powder did you use?

Take that no good Searchy 416 rem you have and rebarrel it

Cheers

/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Mr. Elliot,

May I sincerely suggest you have someone load you up with a bunch of 450 gr North Forks for your companies Lott?

If you had a chance to look at my article on premium 458 caliber bullets you will see why I make the suggestion.

Mike Brady at North Fork would probably be glad to help you, given your credentials.

Even if you just load it to the same velocity as a 500gr you would have no pressure problems and a much easier rifle to shoot.

My 450 Dakota was easy to regulate with various FMJ's. As long as you match velocity it was no problem. The powder charge did not sesm to matter, just the velocity.

As JHack and Nickudu can tell you, the 450 gr Barnes is a versatile and reliable killer, but my tests suggest the NF is better still and any rifle will shoot it well.

John S. can tell you about how it does on buffalo.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andy,

I'll run it past the outfit.
I did check with A-Square and was told there would be a run of the 465 grain "dead tough" loads the third week in August. These did a pretty good job on buff in the past.

Thanks,

Rich Elliott