THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Thoughts and Prayers for S. and SE Asia

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts and Prayers for S. and SE Asia
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted
Folks,

I know that this is probably not the most appropriate forum for this. But as it is the most frequented forum and the most international I thought that I'd post it here.

AP is reporting that over 9,000 are dead due to the Tsunami that struck South and Southeast Asia. I'm not a religious man but I will be saying a prayer for those lost or injured and thier families. Think about giving a bit to a relief agency and counting our blessings during this season.

Take Care,

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Steve,

It really does put things in perspective when something like this happens.

My thoughts and prays are with all those affected by this.

Peter

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Thank you very much for your prayers. My former home town, Chennai, was among the worst hit with more than 450 killed according to a former colleague of mine whom I talked to last night. Apparently a huge tidal wave caused by an undersea earthquake hit the coast where poor fishermen have their huts and it was mostly children and the very old who got washed away in the currents. I think the total number od dead would not be known until a week goes by as the government officials have just started to count the bodies and enumerate the missing.

Thank you for your prayers and for posting this here,

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post

This does not look like it is over yet - Chittagong is reporting a large 7.36 quake as well. The ring of fire is living up to its nasty reputation.

Another Quake

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Mehul,

I surely hope that no one close to you was hurt. Please keep us informed and let us know what we might do to help.

I was just watching footage of some of the surges. Unbelieveable.

As I whitewater rafter I know about the power of water. I've had a few swims, but none really bad. Still, the thought of a swim amongst trees and busses gives me chills. I can't imagine what it was like for the children and eldery.

Take Care,

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Why does it bother you so much? There are an awful lot of gooks in this world and 9000 fewer doesn't relieve the problem.

The people in Indonesia, Sri Lanka (when white men imposed civilized rule, it was called Ceylon) and India danced in the streets at news of 9/11. THEY HATE YOU! Can you get that through your pointed little liberal head?

I should contribute money for these enemies of the United States? Get lost!

Blimey, the resident Brains Trust strikes again!

India support the Taliban....

I wonder if Santa could gift the twerp a belated course on current affairs.

Rustam

Posts: 173 | Location: Bangalore, India. | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Why does it bother you so much? There are an awful lot of gooks in this world and 9000 fewer doesn't relieve the problem.

The people in Indonesia, Sri Lanka (when white men imposed civilized rule, it was called Ceylon) and India danced in the streets at news of 9/11. THEY HATE YOU! Can you get that through your pointed little liberal head?

It is quite interesting to again read the bile and hate from this self-professed "man of God".

From his profile

Quote:

The good Lord does, indeed, look after us - or why has such a sinner as me been able to survive so long?

Maybe he should remember a very large proportion of those killed in the World Trade Centre were non-Americans including Indians and other Asians and yes even some Muslims.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
As I don't see how this thread has ANYTHING to do with 9/11 ...........

A truly aweful disaster where many people in these regions did not have much and have even less now. A time when their neighbours do their bit to help, as they are helped in turn one day.

The death toll according to the media is well over 20,000.

Mehul

It is horrible to read of your own regions part in this. I hope your own family is not effected.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Quote:

Another statement from the intellectual upper crust of this forum Gerald you have managed to make a grand ass out of your self, congratulations. Seems like you have some sort of persecution complex

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just like to second what Nitrox said.
This is a human disaster that we surly don�t fathom the impact of yet.
What make it extra heartbreaking and sad is that so many children are hurt and killed.

No wonder the world is full of hate and evil when people can react like Mr.MC Morrow in a time like this.

Mehul..
My thoughts and sympathy goes to you and your people.

Posts: 1880 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Gerald possibly you should do us all a favor and remove yourself from this forum, you evil little hippocrite. There is a special place in hell for animals like you, it's call it the A Hitler suite. Your room is waiting..

I travel the world extensivley I find good people everywhere I go. (Even NY on occasion.) Can you possibly imagine losing your children,your spouse, your parents or friends. This is a disaster of umimaginable sorrow.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am in Singapore as this unfolds, we narrowly missed the waves that hit Phuket as we were due to dive there this christmas. Thankfully our plans changed.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all hit by the disaster, My friends are caught out in phuket & in penang as well. We have heard that though they are stranded for the time being, they are otherwise fine.

As for this "Gerald" idiot well it takes all sorts to make up this world, but he really should take his hate mail someplace else.

Take care out there. It a bad world and it could be a bus or a buffalo, but you'll still be just as dead.

regards TM

Posts: 252 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Just within the last couple of minutes, the last two members of my e-friend dive group were found alive but injured in Sri Lanka. All present and accounted for, now, but think of the tens of thousands who cannot make that statement. Given the state of the third world, the number of dead will never be known for sure but it will exceed 30,000. Oh, the horror, to have the sea that has provided you with your living for generations rise up and take your children from you! Yes, the Ring of Fire is a cruel beast.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
I'm all FOR putting a bullet into any muslim who steers death in my direction... or any Christian, for that matter. I'm pretty indiscriminatory in that respect. This said, I remember something in the Bible about "anybody who'd bring harm to my little kids, I'm going to take my time killing them"... or something like that. See, I don't have much hatred... any?... for little kids who don't know any better than what their sicko parents have taught them. With kids, there's still hope. I don't like seeing kids die. Let me broaden this and say that I don't like seeing noncombatants die. Yeah, I know, some people of some faiths in some countries were dancing in the streets after 9/11. Well... that's just the way it is. Americans are hated; it's part of the price of being an American, I reckon. I just deal with it.

Where "death by tsunami" and "death by earthquake" are concerned... I can't say I'd be pleased to have little muslim kids, or any other kids, killed. Now, if it was some adult with six pounds of C4 strapped to his chest and an AK-47 in one hand, well, okay, I suppose a tsunami can come in handy. Otherwise, I just don't see this as anything but a sad, sad, sad situation. Lots of people died. I've got a lot of hate, and I can pretty much hate on a moment's notice... but I just can't muster it for something like this. I feel pretty bad for those folks. I don't care what faith or political persuasion they are.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to apaologize on behalf of NY for this Gerald guys assinine remark, Gerald a guy like you should be eaten by the worst kind of ass cancer there is. I sure as hell hope I never find out you frequent any rifle range or club I go to. My cousin from Ireland is working in Japan and currently on vacation in Thailand, we haven't heard yet.

I hope your not the guy from Hicksville, Gerry.

Posts: 1524 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Folks,

Perhaps we should move off of Gerald's response and on to what we can do to help. Again a little bit to a relief agency will go a long way.

Even in this big world we're finding out that some we knwo are affected by this.

I made another donation (on top of my regular annual one) to Northwest Medical Teams . I've spoken with volunteers and checked out their ratings. They do good work and use the money efficiently. It's just a suggestion, as I'm sure that there are others the might be suggested that are helping.

Take Care,

-Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Perhaps we should move off of Gerald's response and on to what we can do to help."

Agree and disagree. My thoughts and hopes for those affected by this disaster echo those already stated here, but I also feel as strongly that the hatred and ignorance spewed by some here should be called out and condemned publicly, rather than ignored. Saying nothing, to me, can potentially be interpreted as being in agreement, and I sure as hell am not. Gerald, fuck you and the hatred you and your ilk represent on this earth.

Leighton

Posts: 142 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 15 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, friends, for your prayers and sympathies. At the local Salvation Army office we collected old blankets and shall be sending them to India. The US government has, as expected, been the first to rush aid, especially medicines to Sri Lanka, which has been the worst affected country. The Red Cross has also started working very actively to help those affected. Britain has also sent in scientists along with Japan and the UN is expected to send it's experts later.

Whole islands belonging to the Maldives and India have vanished and so far more than 24000 people have been confirmed dead with many more still missing. Please remember them in your prayers.

Thank you and best wishes,

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
This will go down in history as a disaster of the same magnitude as the eruption of Krakatoa at the dawn of the previous century. The mechanism is the same as well, seismic ocean surges. Perhaps, though, like the sinking of the Titanic some good will eventually come of it. Currently there is no tsunami warning system in place in the Indian Ocean though the Pacific has a very sophisticated one and I believe that there is one in place for the Atlantic, as well. All the affected governments in the Indian basin are chagrined and aghast that such a thing could possibly not exist. Steps are being taken to correct so egregious an oversight. Major obstacles remain to be overcome, though, as such systems are not cheap and the infrastructure to make them effective is badly lacking. IMO, the hotels that profit from the dollars of the tourists and the low costs of the local labor are the ones best able to foot the bill for improving the communications along the beach areas once the system is in place and the insurance claims have made possible reconstruction.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My guess is Gerald doesn't travel much - when you do, you realize the only difference between you and some poor kid in Pekanbaru, Indonesia is luck of birth.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vapodog:

I havw met your kind of "Christian" before - in Africa, Central America and in the real South America. You are physical cowards who think you are being "Christian" because you write a check to your "favorite charity". I prefer to remember enemies of my country like Indonesia, Malaysia and India who voted in a Pew poll last Fall by margins up to 79% that they considered the United States -and Americans to be more dangerous to world peace than international terrorism. In the same poll they said they didn't like Americans - this poll was taken in a part of the world where the USA has never owned a square foot of ground -ever, And you want to help these enemies of Americans? As I said, in my original post. GET LOST! (A year from now you won't even be able to say what countries were hit by the tsunami. Your hypocrisy is like the Pharisee in the Temple. You are so "Christian". Go look it up)

Posts: 649 | Location: NY | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Gerald416
Quote:

Vapodog:

I havw met your kind of "Christian" before - in Africa, Central America and in the real South America. You are physical cowards who think you are being "Christian" because you write a check to your "favorite charity". I prefer to remember enemies of my country like Indonesia, Malaysia and India who voted in a Pew poll last Fall by margins up to 79% that they considered the United States -and Americans to be more dangerous to world peace than international terrorism. In the same poll they said they didn't like Americans - this poll was taken in a part of the world where the USA has never owned a square foot of ground -ever, And you want to help these enemies of Americans? As I said, in my original post. GET LOST! (A year from now you won't even be able to say what countries were hit by the tsunami. Your hypocrisy is like the Pharisee in the Temple. You are so "Christian". Go look it up)

The news I just heard was that the toll is well over 50,000 and half that number is children. Further the fatalities due to disease could easily double that number. I for one want the world to remember the country I live in as one that tried to help, not only by sending workers and cash but in their prayers.

Gerald.....you're absolutely right.....I'm not much of a Christian because if I was I'd pray for you as well ,and I don't. You can rot in hell!.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Amazingly there has been absolutely no mention of Burma in any of this. I guess there are no idiot journalists there so it doesn't exist. Burma must have taken a pretty full on wave on its delta.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is the biggest natural disaster to ever hit the world, and I just thought it should remain on the first page. http://www.usafreedomcorps.gov/

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
Mehul, my thoughts are with your people of your home town. We also have at least one Indonesian member of this forum whom we should send our thoughts to.

I guess you all know by now the magnituede of the disaster, there might be up to 150 000 dead in total according to the latest news,, and a risk of 150 000 more dying if help can't reach them. As for Burma, as mentioned by John, it can be very bad, but their goverment does not let anyone in...

Here in Sweden, we are in chock since this this is the biggest disaster for Sweden ever in peacetime in modern time. There were a lot of Swedish families in Thailand, many with small children. Sweden have about 700 peple confirmed missing, about 150 being children. About 60 dead Swededs are identified so far. Many Swedish children have been orphans, and beside the 700 confirmed missing (known to have been on the spot, seen in the waves etc), there was over 1000 Swedes traveling in the area that one one have been able to get in touch with.

So that is the nature of mankind, I am more moved hearing a friend's son managed to grab his little daughter in the waves and rescure here in the last second than by reading that thousends and thousends anonymous people died... I am not pround of myself but that is how it works.

Regards,
Martin

-----------------------
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. - R. Kipling

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Some amazing 'Before' and 'After' Photos...

http://homepage.mac.com/demark/tsunami/2.html

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Martin,

It is good to know about those who escaped. There is nothing more heartwarming than the fact that someone did not get killed. You have nothing to feel bad about in being happy about this little child.

Sadly, the latest numbers of Swedish casualties are much higher - I think close to 2500 are expected to have been killed.

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
Mehul,
I am glad to be able to tell you that the total Swedish casualties are not as high as 2500, the numbers has been lowered more and more since they found double entries in the lists, and also found that some people had returned to Sweden without being removed from the lists. Still, we fear the total number of Swedish casualties will probably rise to over 1000.

There was about 15 000 Swedes in the area when the tsunami struck.

Regards,
Martin

-----------------------
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. - R. Kipling

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

The latest reports states, 702 confirmed dead and 1201 persons who are still missing.

Cheers
/ JOHAN