New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Old Western Savanaah Buffalo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This season in Burkina I had the pleasure of shooting a really old Western Savanaah buffalo this year. It also weighed about 200lbs heavier than the average buffalo we normally take. Actual weight was 575 kilos. FYI, every animal is actually weighed and measurements taken by the forester whose office is based right outside camp.

In my experience while smaller in size, these buffalo are just as tenacious as their bigger cousins the cape buffalo. This one took a well placed raking shoulder shot from a 416 rem and kept going like nothing happened. I quickly followed up with a solid above his tail which dropped him in his tracks. The hunt is identical to a cape buffalo hunt. Of course the other cool factor is the choice between brownish red to jet black all found in the same herd.

Arjun Reddy
HuntersNetworks.com
Tel: 845 259 3628
email: arjun@huntersnetworks.com
New York

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Certainly is a different look for a "dagga boy" Way too cool

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice buff, Arjun. Burkina is a really cool place to hunt and I hope to return some day soon.

Posts: 80 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 28 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great buff Arjun - a real 'dagga boy'.

Posts: 151 | Location: Southern Africa | Registered: 30 June 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Fantastic bull!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68686 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is another close up of his horns. Totally worn down.

Horns of a good trophy bull for comparison

Arjun

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
That is an outstanding old bull!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh My...now that is a trophy buffalo!!!!!

Congratulations!

D. Nelson

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Beautiful old trophy bull! Shoulder mount material...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
What a dagga boy!

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Fantastic trophy Arjun.

I am really surprised that this is part of the same species as the cape buffalo. Does the cape buffalo have the same parallel ridges on the horns?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11222 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
that guy is ancient! not quite as old but getting there( before he met his demise).

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13402 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, fine trophy's, all three of 'em.
That's an old bugger for sure.

How much of that gray is dust? Do you have a picture of his face after it was hosed off?

Thanks for sharing, impressive the various species of "Just cattle" come in.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6010 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote