Find
Notify
Tools

Snuff at Duty Free Shops?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted
I am heading to Namibia this Aug, and this is my first trip anywhere outside of the US. I also have a snuff habit (Copenhagen fine cut). I'm pretty sure the duty free shops will have cigarettes, but I have no idea about smokeless tobacco products.

Does anyone know if they can be found? If I bring in my own will I have to pay import duties?

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
I think you should pack what you need.Co-work did'nt take any on his honeymoon to Hawaii. The marriage broke down from the honeymoon.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't count on finding any snuff at any duty free shops. If you want it, bring it. Back before I quit dipping I had a very long ten days in Tanzania once thinking that I'd be able to find some snuff in an airport. In the US you're lucky to find it, especially your brand, and outside the US you can forget it pal.

one of us
Picture of Brad_Rolston
posted Hide Post
Cable68

As far as I know , you are allowed to bring in 2 logs ( 20 units ) duty free . Rather not take the chance that the DF Store does not have what you use .

Brad

Brad Rolston African Hunting
P.O. Box 506
Stella
Kalahari
South Africa
Tel : + 27 82 574 9928
Fax : + 27 86 672 6854
E-Mail : rolston585ae@iafrica.com

Posts: 318 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
cabela68, take a couple of logs with you as you will not find any over there at any airport or store. If you go to Tanzania and run out, then try the Masai snuff, but make sure you are sitting down when you do nut your eyes might roll back in your head for awhile!

adam@safaritrackers.com
www.safaritrackers.com
210-698-0077

Posts: 473 | Location: San Antonio, Texas & Tanzania | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I'll only need one log for this trip because it will only be a week. The second one, I'm sure I'll need 2.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definately bring what you need with you. I have the same problem every time I go out of the country. Who are you hunting with in Namibia?

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Doing a ranch hunt with Francois Swanepoel. A German fellow here in town has some connections with various Namibian ranch owners, and as a side business of his gun sales (which is a side business) he arranges some hunts there.

Caleb

one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
They still make snuff??? bewildered In the alternative, buy some cubans at the duty free and enjoy some real tobacco!!! wave

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanahile:
They still make snuff??? ....

Of course, it goes with the monocles. roflmao

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
NitroX,

Not Copenhagen, it goes in the lip.

Cable68,

If you quit and saved the money you would spend on snuff, you could pay for another animal next year when you go back.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I have a heavy snuff habit so I´ll tell you what I usually do: Pack double the amount you need, half in your carry on and half in the luggage. On my first trip to SA (stayed for six weeks) I had ten logs with me -not fully double but close. In the EU only Sweden sells snuff, it´s outlawed in all other countries (friends send me my stash). The blacks appreciate snuff but snort it! I use Ettan wish is pretty potent stuff and putting up my nose...well to each his own. Cool

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
One simple rule should apply . . .

If you don't bring it, it won't be there!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took 2 rolls of copenhagen with me to Tanzania (20 cans) on a 21 day hunt. I think I had one can left when I got back to Texas. Now for the good news - I quit and am working on week #4 without it. It's been tough, but I'm starting to think I've got it licked!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote