New
Find
Notify
Tools

ICC Gun Cases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Those who have experience with the ICC gun cases.

http://www.icc-case.com/

Anyone have an opinion on the Standard welded aluminum case (I'm looking at Model 5214-KK) versus the apparently newer Gunarmour case with reinforced edges (has wheels too for about the same price as the 5214 w/o wheels).

Thanks,
Andy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Andy,

I have an ICC that look like rodents have been chewing on it but it is as good as new on the inside. They are good. Get the one with wheels.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12868 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
The ICC was better than any other aluminum case I have used, but a Tuff Pak is infinitely better.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19315 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kaizer
posted Hide Post
On our first trip to Africa in 2005 we had an ICC with wheels and a TuffPak, two rifles properly packed in each one. One rifle in the Tuffpak suffered a broken stock, those in the ICC were fine. I've read a lot of good reviews on this forum about TuffPak, but that one experience was enough to make me an ICC fan. Ironically, the break happened on the first leg of the trip, on a domestic Delta flight.

Posts: 92 | Location: Near Illinois-Wisconsin Border | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I would say it was not packed properly.. If it broke... I have taken my tuff pak on two safaris with 2 rifles each time and no problems...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My ICC 2-rifle case has been all over this country by air and truck, and to Africa twice. My friends from Texas all use them also, for their trips.

Works like a champ for me, and is still in great shape. I've never had any hunters come into Idaho Falls with a problem with one of them.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I'm not at home so can't look at mine to see who built it.It is a two rifle case with wheels and is .080 Aluminum. It was from Cabelas and less expensive than these cases. It is Heli-arc welded on all seams and has full length rod for locking. The one improvement it has is the corners are beveled instead of square for whatever value that is. Has been to Africa several times with complete satisfaction. The actual manufacturer for Cabelas put an order blamk in for a nice engraved nameplate which I got for mine, They did a nice engraving job on a very good self adhesive plate.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two of them and they are fine. I had a problem of the rifles moving enough to tough each other in the case. I bought mine from Cabela's. They can be dented but a hammer knocks the dents out. I am looking for a lighter case by Pelican right now.

Posts: 10165 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both a two gun alum. case with the long rod and double pad locks and a Tuffpak. I have never had aproblem with either one. I am guesing maybe 20 trips between them via air both domestic and international. The alum is with out wheels were as the tuffpak has wheels. I have used the Tuffpak solely since I got it and the big reason is it can carry more than just two guns and some optics. I always pack the guns in soft cases in the Tuffpak and suround those cases with other items such as scothing and maybe boots in the bottm of the case to rest the barrel end on. They are easy to extract for inspection at the TSA check point. I have never cut out the foam in the alum case thus the guns are held very tight. One other item of note usually when returning to the states the Tuffpck is often mistaken for golf clubs and I have been waved thru with out having to go thru the ordeal of paper work checking.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adrook:
Those who have experience with the ICC gun cases.

http://www.icc-case.com/

Anyone have an opinion on the Standard welded aluminum case (I'm looking at Model 5214-KK) versus the apparently newer Gunarmour case with reinforced edges (has wheels too for about the same price as the 5214 w/o wheels).

Thanks,
Andy

I have the ICC, with two separate rods, but without wheels. This case has been around the world several times, without any damage to my rifles at all. This one was a transition from the single rod security bar, to the double rod whit wheels. The problem I have with it is it is too long, and hard to handle, without wheels.

I also have PROTECTA CASE, DOSKACIL, and a take down Tuff-pak, several fitted double rifle cases, along with several others with no names on them. To be honest, I've never had a rifle, shotgun, or pistol damaged in any of them. I retired from a major international airline, so I have traveled quite extensively, and no problems yet!

The problem I have with every one of the cases I own, and have used, except the Tuff pak, is they all look like gun cases, and are targets for theft, and raise eyebrows of customs, and security people every where. The Tuff pak, OTH, looks like a tripod case, or, in the case of the take down tuff pack, some sort of equipment case.

I think any rifle broken in a tuffpak, especially a take down tuffpak was not properly packed, or the inspector didn't re-pack it properly after inspection!

Packed properly I believe they are all good, but I prefer the take down Tuff pak, which has a telescoping handle, and wheels, or the ICC with two rods, and wheels. ICC will build you a custom made Aluminum case, and if you don't mind taking the rifle out of the stock, or are using double rifles, a take down length would be far easier to handle, or resist damage.

One piece of advice, leave the gun, and hunting related stickers at home! They draw attention to your guns!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
I have two of them and they are fine. I had a problem of the rifles moving enough to tough each other in the case. I bought mine from Cabela's. They can be dented but a hammer knocks the dents out. I am looking for a lighter case by Pelican right now.

Pelican cases are very good cases, but they are not lighter than the ICC cases! In fact, the only reason I dislike the Pelican cases is because they are so heavy! Frowner

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an ICC 2 rifle with 8 safaris and many western US trips behind it. The ears that the lock attaches to tend to get bent in transit but when I called ICC they sent me 3 sets and enough rivets to install themm(@ no cost). This was a number of yrs ago and and I haven't needed them yet. I have a US flag, an NRA sticker and an SCI logo on it. They define to some extent, who I am and what I stand for. If there are inconveniences that result it's OK. So far so good tho. I may get the one that rolls if ICC is @ Reno.

Posts: 413 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Cabelas cases look to be the exact same case at about $100 less than buying direct from ICC. I think I'll order from Cabelas.

Cheers,
Andy

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adrook:
The Cabelas cases look to be the exact same case at about $100 less than buying direct from ICC. I think I'll order from Cabelas.

Cheers,
Andy

adrook, I'm going to Cabela's store today, and I'll look the case over for you, and let you know if they are the same! I'll post later today!

:PS:
I just got back from Cabela's, and the cases you are looking at are,IMO, made by ICC! They have the corners beveled, and have the two rod lock-up. They have wheels, and a handle on the other end, to make it easier to drag along in the airport!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote from ICC..."When the US military wants to protect lives and property they use armor plating. So when we wanted to make our tough, welded aluminum firearm case even tougher...we armor plated it."

Funny, but when the military needs a gun case, they don't buy ICC. They use Starlight

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
ICC also has a MILCON. That is what my SEAL Team used while on board the JFK during our 03 cruise in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a bunch Mac! thumb . That's very helpful, I'm going to order one.

Cheers,
Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to close the loop on this in case anyone was wondering I received my case from Cabelas yesterday and they are the ICC cases just as Mac thought. The warranty, paperwork ,etc inside the case is all from ICC, it's just $100 bucks cheaper to buy it from Cabelas than to buy direct from ICC.

Cheers,
Andy

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
My ICC case has been on at least a dozen or three trips across the pond, Canada and various spots in the US... she's battered, covered with scrapes and dents and has been abused by the best the airlines can throw at her. But I have never ever had a rifle she's carried change zero... not one. Think that says it all right there.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7531 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of citori
posted Hide Post
Mine has been to Tanzania and multiple trips to Texas. Holds up fine except the things that hold the locking rods can get bent. Just find something heavy and knock them back in place. I believe ICC and Cabelas are the same product.

Tanzania in 2006! Had 141 posts on prior forum as citori3.

Posts: 266 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone got a link to the Cabelas case?

Posts: 284 | Location: Hayden, Colorado | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought mine at Cabelas and it had the ICC warranty paperwork inside...so yes they are the same. I even ordered the personal ID metal stick on label from ICC, of which the order form was also inside the case. As for durability...very good.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elkfitter:
Anyone got a link to the Cabelas case?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/sta...=cat20772&hasJS=true

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I won my first ICC case, a single rifle version, in a raffle something like 15 years ago. Since then I've bought a second two rifle case. Both cases have given excellent service despite the best attempts of the airline baggage handlers and assorted movers to loose them or bash them to death. If I had it to do over, I'd buy the model with the rollers. I also have Pelican cases which stay in the attic because they are just too heavy. I'll be carrying mine back to Africa in 2010.
A satisfied customer.

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Is there any appreciable difference between the ICC cases and the Kalispel cases?

Mike

Posts: 21222 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a two rifle Kalispell case for 25 years, many trips, two to Africa, no broken guns, lots of scratches on the case, but never any damage to the contents.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Kalispel pistol case more than 20 years ago and it is still in use. Have one Kalispel and one Cabelas rifle case ... they are the same. Also have a Pelican take down case and a TuffPack.

They've all been on planes to far away places (and some not so far away). Never had any damage with any of them.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks, reason I asked is that the ICC and Kalispel cases look virtually identical.

Mike

Posts: 21222 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have three African trips, three Canadian trips, several Alabama and SC trips and a Texas trip on my ICC and it has held up really well. I've never had a rifle lose zero while packed inside. It's pretty well dinged up, but it works. Bought it at Bass Pro several years ago for $200.00. It's a single gun case.

Coming back from Tanzania a few weeks ago, I hit customs in Detroit and found the rod sockets had been bent over so that we couldn't open the latches. The customs guy got a needlenose and bent them back straight. That's the only problem I've ever had. Baggage apes.

BTW, ICC bought KK Air a few years ago, so if you need parts for a KK Air case, contact ICC.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote