New
Find
Notify
Tools

What'd ya buy at Reno and Dallas?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Or almost buy. As for myself, I was with a buddy who had never been to a big show before, and he was like a kid in a candy shop. If it were up to him, he and I would be going this spring to hunt coastal black bear in Canada, moose in BC in the fall (right after we got back from our Kumchatca brown bear hunt, which would occur right after we returned from Quebec, where we would hunt caribou), and to Zimbabwe in the spring of '07 for a buffalo/plains game hunt.

Of course, we are not going on all these hunts, but I did promise him that I would hunt moose in BC with him, if he would go to Africa with me. So it looks like Zimbabwe with Shangaan Hunters in May of '07 and BC in the fall of '07 (we already have a Quebec caribou hunt in the fall of '06). Russia and the coast of Canada will just have to wait.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Reno ( besides 8 days of food, whiskey, and lodging)a $750 gun case with "SCI" on it. Once you turn 60 the SCI life membership drops to $750.I figure if I make it to 75 I've come out ahead.
In Dallas (besides 2 nights food, whiskey, and lodging) I re-upped my membership, as always, and bought a Crocodile hide billfold. Smiler

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of crl
posted Hide Post
I purchased a new Tuff Pac in Reno. It arrived yesterday. I also booked a 14 day buffalo/plains game hunt for 2007. The entire trip was very costly.

crl

The average man's love of liberty is nine-tenths imaginary. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty; and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies.

Posts: 379 | Location: MN | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I bought two of John Banovich's studio canvas giclee's..."Big Ivory" and "Headress" and a Jan MacGuirre giclee called "Black and White". Also picked up limited edition books by Fred Duckworth and Richard Harland. Buzz's new elephant video, "The Complete Guide to Hunting the African Elephant" and upgraded my leopard hunt with Chifuti in 2007 to include a tuskless elephant cow. Also bought dinner on Saturday night for some of my favorite PH's and had a ball!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought an AR knife, a print for my wife, and Will's book. Didn't book a hunt for a change. I don't know what is wrong with me.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
2 books -Boddingtons "Buffalo" and Richard Harland's "Guide to NDLOVU"

Another pair of Russell PH II's

4 tribal masks

Set of warthog cufflinks

Buzz Charlton's Elephant video

gold/silver "elephant hair" bracelet

Thought long and hard about the $190,000 H&H shotgun but decided to pass! Smiler

Best part of it all, I get to start over again at the Houston show this weekend!!!!

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two cases of really good wine.

Video's - Boddington on Leopard, and Buzz Charltons Elephant Hunting for learning experience, plus CCHunter's for entertainment.

Booked two leopard hunts for my son and I with ERINDI Safariis for April '07.

Turned the wife and daughter-in-law loose at the spa for a day.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
A set of Long-Grass Shooting Sticks and donations to Butch Searcy over the next couple of years! LOL!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two books-A Ranging Son by John Osborne from the African Hunter Magazine booth. Met author Richard Harland and bought his book The Art of Hunting the African Elephant.

A March 2007 Bull Elephant hunt for my husband, Cape Buffalo for me with HHK in Chirisa Zimbabwe.

As a retirement gift to celebrate my husband's retirement in April 2008, a Marco Polo sheep hunt in Tadjikistan (November 2008)from Bob Kern's Hunting Consortium. I arranged with Bob before the show to bring my husband to his booth. Needless to say he was very happy as this is his dream hunt.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Oh, let’s see…

My wife picked up a giclee canvas leopard from Zim artist Lisa Lemmons.

My wife picked up an etched glass lamp (Kalahari bushman and gemsbok).

My wife picked up a nice DSC khaki shirt.

My wife pretty well decided that we need to book a red stag / trout fishing trip to Argentina in ’07.

My wife was awfully busy, given the whistle-stop nature of our trip. Damn, but taking the “she-wolf†along gets expensive!

What wonderful problems to have!

Best to all,

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 610 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't buy all that much. Big purchase was paying my taxidermist for the mount he finished the week of the show of my three klipspringers on a rock that he had in his booth (if anybody saw it), only two books that I saw that I really wanted, Great Hunters number 4, and Richard Harland's Hunting the African Elephant, and the video that everyone else seems to have bought, Buzz Charltons's Elephant Hunting. All in Dallas this last weekend, didn't go to Reno this year.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steve_robinson
posted Hide Post
Bought a 7 day Buff/Plains game in Tanz for 07 with a friend and we each bought Tuff Pacs. First hunt for both of us! Oh Yeah, also got one of those $100. raffle tickets!

Steve(NOT Shakari)Robinson
NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 226 | Location: Arlington, WA | Registered: 26 June 2005Reply With Quote
<BWN300MAG>
posted
Dallas -

Books:
Boddington - Shots At Big Game.
Boddington - Make It Accurate.
Selous - A Hunter's Wanderings In Africa.
Pierres - Winds of Havoc.

Copper Elephant hair (replica) bracelet (so the real ones do not get to worn out).

And I ordered a pair of Russell - Short PHs.

However, I spent at least a billion dollars in my mind.

Brian

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Two Bronzes from Jocelyn Russell
Breezer hat and two jacket/vests from Gary Nesse
Alpaca cape for Mrs. Blacktailer from A&M
Barnes bullets
14 day safari in the Selous with Luke Samaras
Drooled on a lot of double rifles Wink but decided I need another hunt more than another gun

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arrow Slinger
posted Hide Post
Some Beef Jerky and a Darted Rhino / Plainsgame hunt.

Posts: 106 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a nice leather belt cartridge carrier, about $200. in books, upgraded my order for a Searcy 450/400 to the Classic model, and a May 2007 water buffalo hunt in Australia for me and my wife; but maybe the best thing was dinner for me & my wife with a fine bunch of folks that post here on AccurateReloading. The show for me was like a kid at Christmas ..... almost as fun as a good hunt. I'll be back for next year at Dallas !!!

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of snowymthunter
posted Hide Post
I bought 2 books & Boddington's new leopard DVD. A nice leather cartridge holder from Roosevelt & Drake, a quick adjust sling from Murray Leather, 2 sets of clothes from TAG, a knife set from Katz knives, a Surefire flashlight, a stuffed lion, and some other misc sundries. I think I am missing a few things but that explains where all my money went. I sure was tempted to put my deposit down on a Searcy double before the price increase but I have a Tanzania Buffalo hunt to pay for this fall! It was my first time to Reno but it won't be my last. Brian

NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 126 | Location: Montana | Registered: 19 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
smoked a great deal on new searcy 470 underlever clap

few DVDs

still scheduling buff hunt for 06 maybe ele in 07

and few lap dances !!!! Big Grin

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Reno I was forced to buy a Searcy Classic double rifle in 450-400, 3" with a second set of barrels in 375 Flanged Magnum. I also bought some DVD's and some wine. My wife incisted on the two barrel set or nothing. In Dallas I bought a nice Mauser B model in 9.3x62 and some more DVD's. We also shopped for some single malt scotch and bought a fine Turkish walnut blank for another rifle project. I simply must stop taking Susan to these these events as she is costing me too much money!

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TexasHunter
posted Hide Post
Only made it to Dallas Show....

- 10 Day Safari in RSA (First safari) with Peter Thormahlen
- Skins for my trophy room end tables and fireplace hearth (bushbuck and springbuck) and a couple leopard skinned pillows for the sofa
- a couple videos from Outdoor Visions
- a few other odds and end items

Posts: 126 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
(1) Some of Don Miller's originals
(2) September pronghorn hunt in new Mexico
(3) Red stag hunt in Australia
(4) Lion hunt (darted!) in Namibia

Posts: 64 | Location: SoCal USA | Registered: 16 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470CapstickA2
posted Hide Post
In Reno

Sullivan's new DVD

Galco belt and 475 NE 6 round cartridge holder

Damascus knife with cape buffalo handle

3 Shirts

1 autographed hat from chuck yeager

Boyt duffle bag

Sweater and silver necklace for the girlfriend

lots of sushi

Dallas

my Cogswell & Harrison double that I've spammed on this site

Northfork cupped solids for my 470 capstick

Fiona Capsticks new book, autographed

entertainment for anonymous members

A great time overall...

NRA Life Memeber
SCI Life Member
Dallas Safari Life Member
DRSS
We Band of Bubbas

Posts: 404 | Location: Washington, DC/Arlington | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Dallas -

Books:
Boddington - Buffalo.
Boddington - Shots At Big Game.
Boddington - Make It Accurate.
Selous - A Hunter's Wanderings In Africa.
Cap, T shirt.
May Book 1st African Hunt in Houston
TOO much Beer? Big Grin

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
In Reno, many things in regards to my upcoming dangerous game hunt in '06. However, one fun thing not related to the scheduled hunt was a beautiful custom made knife that I ordered from Carlton Evans and one that he will be making for me out of my own self-supplied Blue/Black Wooly Mammoth scale(tusk) material for the handle. Carlton's artistry, detail and work is phenomenal!

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
entertainment for anonymous members

Details, my boy! Details!

I got Boddington's Buffalo! book and drooled over our .577 at Butch's booth.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CFA
posted Hide Post
In Reno I finally could not pass up Banovich's "Eden" and also talked him into doing a small original for me of a sable to go with my sable pedestal mount. Then I got a pair of Sport Ears to help my fading hearing. A set of the Big 5 wine, also through Banovich was in order plus a Wilderness Medical Systems "Denault" to take on safari as I have seen what most of the PH's have in camp, not to mention in the truck. But hey on the last night in Reno I hit a $1000 jackpot on the slots and paid for everything, now that doesn't happen very often.

CFA

*If you are not hunting in Africa you are planning to hunt in Africa*

Posts: 465 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
CFA,

which machine did you win on, I'm sure it's the same one I fed for a couple of hours! Razzer Any chance of getting my money back! Big Grin

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bought Geoff Brooms book from son Russ, oh and my wife insisted on going back with Rory Muil , Russ Broom Safaris , for a 14 day two buffalo hunt in August.

one of us
Picture of CFA
posted Hide Post
Widowmaker

You are probably right and I sure appreciate it, I was getting a little buyers remorse. I forgot the gold sable pendant for my wife, but it was fun.

CFA

*If you are not hunting in Africa you are planning to hunt in Africa*

Posts: 465 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
CFA - -

beer Big Grin cheers Big Grin beer Big Grin cheers thumb thumb thumb

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some jerky, a case of Amarula to bring back to Alaska and are booking a hunt in 2007 to return back to Namibia with BOET NELL SAFARIS!

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best item I brought back was my copy of Where Lions Roar signed by Craig on my birthday!

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
Shooting sticks from Long Grass

Texas Safari West

Ammo Belt from Trader Keiths

16 DVDs with hunting from all the world from Outdoor Visions

Buzz Elephant movie

and a lot of other small things....

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote