THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: Taxidermy "budget" & suggestions

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Taxidermy "budget" & suggestions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
I'd also say to have the Nyala done life-size, but a shoulder mount would be fine to save money. Try picking an interesting pose such a wall-pedestal or have a pedestal mount done of the nyala and a bush buck. I'm sure the nyala bush buck combo would look really nice. I've seen two nyala done as regular shoulder mounts and they don't do it justice. I was surprised at how small a nyala really is.

As to the other animals, eland (aside from the Lord Derby's eland) don't make great mounts, IMHO. I have one done as the full skull including the jaw and it looks very impressive, so I'd recommend a european mount for him. Sable must be done as a pedestal (maybe you could try a sable/nyala combo?). The horns don't allow for much of a choice in shoulder mounts. The bush buck, if not a monster or done in a combi with the nyala, can be as a european but a shoulder, I feel, would look better. Zebra rugs are not my thing. Either a pedestal or a shoulder mount and have the backskin used for something (like in the sable pedestal). Tsessebe make a very interesting shoulder mount. I have one that draws many comments from those that see it. The waterbuck I'd do as a shoulder mount. The Kudu and the impala are both common animals that you can collect on almost any safari. If you get a big kudu and/or impala get a shoulder mount, if they are not that big, get the european mounts. So let's see here.

Sable- Pedestal

Nyala- Wall-Pedestal

Bushbuck (Big)- Shoulder Mount

(Small)- European

Eland- European

Tsessebe- Shoulder Mount

Zebra- Shoulder or Pedestal Mount

Waterbuck- Shoulder Mount

Kudu (Big)- Shoulder Mount

(Small)- European

Impala (Big)- Shoulder Mount

(Small)- European

Another thing to think about is if on a later safari you get a Kudu that's smaller than the first, you can have it done as a european mount and have it's cape be used for a shoulder mount of the one at home. You can always bring home the capes and save them for a while, should you one day say, "I really would like that ______ done as a shoulder mount." I'd personally try to have as many as possible done in shoulder mounts as I don't care for european mounts no matter how small or how many of the species I have.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
MG: I like shoulder and full mounts I did some research before my safari to AFrica. I had six shoulder mounts done in Africa, eland, kudu, wildebeest, warthog and Tsesebee, plus a full zebra rug mount tanned hides and the wildebeest's tailas a fly swatter. I selected a South African outfit called Kwiktan and my total bill including air freight FOB Atlanta, was right around 5 thousand US. They have a website, you might want to drop John Lewis a line. It's a family owned business, great people and they delivered ON TIME AND ON BUDGET. jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Generally I don't like European mounts although I had one done for my Blue Wildebeest and it looks fine.

For your budget amount you should be able to shoulder mount everything on your list. Full body mounts are way too costly to be on a budget. Pedestal mounts also drive up the cost incrementally. As others have mentioned the best candidate on your list for a European mount would be the Eland but I've seen nice Kudu European mounts as well. I like the way the smaller antelopes look in shoulder mounts and wouldn't make a European mount out of any of them.

An Eland shoulder mount does take up a fair amount of space. As I recall mine sticks over 40 inches from the wall, about the same in height and about two thirds that in width. Of course a Kudu shoulder mount takes over 5 1/2 feet of height and sticks out about 3 feet from the wall.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would disagree only in that a bushbuck really needs to be done as lifesize to show it off properly. I agree with a lifesize nyala as well. I would skimp on the others if you need to but those two animals need lifesize to do them justice.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I sit here LMAO, I am reminded of my three grown (married) daughters and "el jeffe", the wife, going shopping!! I asked for it, and I appreciate your giving it to me! Also my budget seems miniscule as I read, Sevens, jorge, odie and Mike shopping with my family!!

Now I see life sized nyala and bushbuck, pedestal/shoulder sable and zebra, and shoulder mounts on waterbuck, kudu, impala and tsessebe and saving the day is the eland in a european! Tomorrow I visit a couple of taxidermist "friends" to see the real damage ya'll have done. Better send shoes to my four grandchildren!!

Ya'll have contributed greatly and I hope other readers are sharing in your knowledge.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, you guys really know how to spend OPM! Budget just came back at slightly over $10,000 to do the "Revised" AR list of work for my safari. Yes, the two life sized eat up exactly 1/2 of this revised "budget". I better get off this 'puter and get to working. Thanks for all your time and insights and now it is my problem!

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
I received my initial invoice from my taxidermist last week for a group of trophies very similar to what you listed. My list includes a buffalo, tsessbeb, eland, wildebeeste, kudu, 2 impalas, warthog, and a zebra rug. All but the zebra will be shoulder mounts. My invoice totaled $8,075.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
muygrande,

I'm not sure where you are hunting but I can recommend the people at Taxidermy Africa

who are located in Humansdorp, Eastern Cape, RSA.

Their web site has an estimator function that might make an interesting comparison. They are great people to work with.

Finished taxidermy can also be shipped by the ocean freight scheme provided by Safari Air Cargo/ Fauna and Flora, at some savings as well.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
The Tsessebe will make a beautiful rug. Far nicer than a Zebra in my opinion. I'd do a european mount and full rug with the Tsessebe.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Sorry MuyGrande, I've just never been one for European mounts. The skulls on the walls are so barbaric. We can give you a bunch of suggestions, but in the end, you have to do what fits your needs. They are your trophies to be mounted whatever way you choose. Having said that, do get a zebra shoulder mount or pedestal and just have the back half done as the rug (See that would only be half the price of a full rug .) I think the bush buck would be fine in a shoulder mount, or how about on a small pedestal that you could keep on your desk. I still think a pedestal mount of the Nyala and the bush buck would look great. It could be done something like the Grants and impala on this thread. (Scroll down a little.) Although a diorama of the bush buck and nyala would look nice. Maybe even have the sable done life-size while your at it. You could make your own little Africa right in your home. That would be a great thing to come home to. Good luck with whatever you choose. I think when you take the animal you'll have an idea how you want him mounted. Also, keep in mind you may not collect every animal on the list, so you can use the money from animal X that you didn't get to make animal Y a pedestal mount. Just A thought.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For head mounts, typical is $500 to $1000 each, depending on size.

Or you could just leave the heads there in Africa and go on 2 safaris.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
Try these guys. Their work is exceptional, their material (chemicals, eyes, etc.) comes from the States (thus ending the "inferior materials" argument), and Jan is just a plain ole' nice guy! His prices are given on his site (in Rand) and he generally uses NOVOTRANS Trophy Forwarding to ship, air or sea. His turnaround for any of my clients that use him is generally 8-9 months by air, 9-12 months by sea, that's from the time the trophies reach him.

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote