Tools

Nengasha Safaris and Northern Omay
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted
Looking for information on:

Nengasha Safaris of Zimbawe; and

the Northern Omay Campfire region / 'concession'.

I purchased a tuskless cow hunt there at the SCI "Down Under" chapter auction and am keen to learn more about the area and outfitter. Especially if I decide to upgrade the auctioned hunt.

Any knowledge especially direct experience would be appreciated. Post here or please PM or email me if you wish - John.Hahn AT NitroExpress.com

Thanks.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never heard of Negasha...but Butch Walker (Blulembi Safaris)has the lease on that concession. He seems to sublet just about all the hunting out to small operators. The area is on lake Kariba next to Matusadona National Park (Eastern Boundry) The Zambezi Escarpment forms the Southern Bouyndry (and is Joe Wrights concession) To the west is Russ Brooms Sengwa/Songo concession (Binga district). Bretty wild country with lots of small tonga villages. Best grass in the country comes from there Wink The women all walk round smolking the stuff through hubly bubbly pipes made out of calabash's.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
Looking for information on:

Nengasha Safaris of Zimbawe; and

the Northern Omay Campfire region / 'concession'.

I purchased a tuskless cow hunt there at the SCI "Down Under" chapter auction and am keen to learn more about the area and outfitter. Especially if I decide to upgrade the auctioned hunt.

Any knowledge especially direct experience would be appreciated. Post here or please PM or email me if you wish - John.Hahn AT NitroExpress.com

Thanks.

I don't have any direct or recent info, but I hunted very near there several years ago (in Joe Wright's area). That is where I took my best buffalo (don't worry guys, I won't post the photo again since everyone has already seen it Wink).

I saw lots of elephant while there for only a few days on the buff hunt, but I don't recall any tuskless cows. They might be as hard to find as a decent bull, but I am sure there are some there.

It is very nice country, with lots of hilly areas and large areas of heavy bush. We spotted one herd of buff from a huge hill (actually might have been the edge of the escarpment), and could only see about 20 animals. After getting into the herd we saw about 50 to 60 animals, and I passed on a heavy bossed bull near 40" (best decision I ever made on a hunt, since later that morning I got my big bull Big Grin ). When the tracker stood up as we were ready to head back toward the hill, the whole bush around us exploded, and we found ourselves in the midst of about 300 BUFFALO stampeding in all directions. The bush had been so thick that we never knew the rest of the herd was there. Talk about a morning wake-up call.......

I really love the Omay, and would love to go back there some day. Enjoy your hunt.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend and I stayed at there camp in Oct of 2004. The camp and staff were great and we saw plenty of buff and elephant. Plainsgame in the area are not in great numbers, but we did see some roan. We had a great time and my friend took a nice buff.

Posts: 263 | Location: New York | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lots of people up there

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments. Anyone else?

John H.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
Never heard of Negasha...but Butch Walker (Blulembi Safaris)has the lease on that concession. He seems to sublet just about all the hunting out to small operators. The area is on lake Kariba next to Matusadona National Park (Eastern Boundry) The Zambezi Escarpment forms the Southern Bouyndry (and is Joe Wrights concession) To the west is Russ Brooms Sengwa/Songo concession (Binga district). Bretty wild country with lots of small tonga villages. Best grass in the country comes from there Wink The women all walk round smolking the stuff through hubly bubbly pipes made out of calabash's.

That is 100% correct. I hunted on Butchs Eastern Boundary last year for 3 weeks+/- and we went over to the West side a few times last year, its good for hunting elephant cows and small bulls a 30lb bull would be shootalbe there, we saw one that was perhaps 45 pounds in the park of course,they know where the boundary is. Its good fun and the camps are nice but there isnt any trophy elephants there, lots of nice bushbuck.

The west side was hotter, humid and sticky and different from the east side, lots of villages in the middle. It was fun but the hunting isnt like Matetsi. But as enjoyable. We had to give Chief Mola the trunks of the elephants we shot. And distrubute the meat to the locals-rather amusing.

sorry about the spelling,
I missed that class.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NitroX

I hunted the Omay in April of 2005 with Matupula Hunters. The camp was great and the country was fantastic. The brush was very thick and I got a nice Bull on the last evening of the hunt. We did find several snares including 2 with Buffalo in them. I was concerned as the game scout made no effort to catch the poachers. I was surprised that the game scout did not report it. He did remove several snares.

Posts: 29 | Location: Delano MN | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Nitrox,
Not sure if your into it but if you want to do some fly camping let the guys know in advance to sort out a Swag or two.
Try to spend some time in the Dete river area and do a good walk across the plateau of the Ndepa hill.
These are great options in this area and from what I have been told fly camping is an add cost in National Park areas now.
Adam C

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments. It looks like it might be on for the end of August.

John H.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Great time, generally not to hot, bush has opened up, Tiger fish start biting and game quoter should be worked out for rest of season.
ozhunter.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
Thanks for the comments. It looks like it might be on for the end of August.

John

I wish You good luck right now.
Don't forget I'll raid You in July or August, it's extra-sure (or SureFire to please Craig B).
The hard part was forcing the wife into having a protracted hop in Adelaide.
Don't change your plans for me.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Russ Brooms area on Butches border at the Sengwe river. Saw elephants on Butches side and killed a 18.5 inch bushbuck that was walking down the dry river bed, on our side of course. Should also be good leopard there.

posted Hide Post
Nitrox, you might want to try and reach Tony or Sylvia DaCosta for some info on this outfitter. They are retired now but may still be receiving e-mail at safarihq@charter.net if not I have thier telephone number. Nengasha was highly recommended to me by them for buffalo and the previous hunt I booked through the DaCostas was outstanding in every way. They said the had great customer satisfaction with Nengasha. If you have any info on who their current booking agent is now please let me know as I'm looking to book a buffalo hunt with them. Also an excellent article on Nengasha under the SCI webpage called Jumbo in the Omay you may wanty to check out.