Find
Notify
Tools

What scope for my 416 Remington?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted
Just got a Winchester 416 Rem and need to decide what scope to put on it. I also have a new Winchester 375 H&H that I put a Kahles 2X7 on. I was thinking perhaps a fixed 4X Kahles or perhaps getting another Kahles 2X7. That way, I would have a back-up scope should the other fail. Will be taking the 416 and 375 on a buff/tuskless/sable safari in November. Thoughts?

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
I've got a Ziess 1.25x4 on mine and it works great.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
Personally i would put the variable 2-7 on, for two reasons. one the 2-7 has a little more eye relief than the fixed not much but a little more. second the variable gives you more flexibility when hunting dangerous game, I.E. wider field of view for dangerous game and higher magnification for longer shots.jj

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
----------------------------
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835
----------------------------

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
I have a Nikon 1 1/2 X 4 1/2 power on mine, it's been on it for about 6 years now, like it.

I also have removable mounts on it.

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I have a Leup. VXIII 1.5x5 on my .404j. It's jsut about perfect out to 200yds, which is about as far as I want to shoot it anyway.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a compact 2.5x on my .416 but I would be just as happy with a 1-4 or 2-7 I think it would make the .416 a little more versatile actually.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Bwana,

I would not recommend a 4 X for tuskless. I had a 3 X Leupold but got within 9 paces of mine and really needed much more field of view for situational awareness. I cant imagine even trying this with a 4 X. (PS I ve shot a 4 X on my 375 for over 20 years, so Im not against it just would not want it on an elephant gun)!

I would check the specs on your 2 x 7 compared to a proven elephant/DG scope like 1.5 x 5 field of view and see if they are similar.

I wished I had more magnification (than 3X) on my elephant gun when hunting kudu, Impala and even buffalo. So if the field of view is OK on a 1.5 x 6 I would check that out too. Khales 1.5 x 6 is $400-500 less expensive than the Sworovski, Zeiss or Schmidt & Benders.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
Andy,

I was thinking that as well. In fact, I was contemplating taking the scope off once the buff is down and we are only after the elephant (assuming thats how it worked out). Thus far I have been very pleased with the quality of the Kahles and it appears to be a great value.

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would opt for a low power veriable. In close conditions, like you often find on dangerous game hunts, you could turn it down and for longer shots you could crank it up. I would want it to be able to go very low for dangerous game. I would look at a 1.1-4 0r 1.5 - 5. I prefer Schmidt & Bender but Kahles offers similar power scopes at a lower price. Leupold are pretty good too.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
Andy got it right, I will also go for a 1.5x5. The next will be to find the scope with the longest eye relief. I stand to be corrected, but I think leupold will be the best.

I'm busy building a 416 and cannot wait for the project to be completed.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I have a Leupold 1.5X5X20 on my 416 Rigby with Heavy X hairs and it was perfect for buffalo and I can still make long shots. However, for low light conditions ina leopard blind, it it SORELY lacking. Spend the money and get a Swaro 1.75X6X42 and have the beast of everything. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
David,
I used a Leupold Vari-XIII in 1.75x6 on my Davenport .416 Rigby for my ele hunt with Buzz. Works like a charm!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Assuming "normal" light conditions, a 2.5x Leupold. At ranges you will be shooting anything in Africa (save perhaps some game in the likes of Namibia), I don't think you really need the 4x or 5x.

JMHO,

John

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The consensus seems to be for a scope in the 1.5 X5 range. All the scope manufacturers make one the choice is which one. Everyone here has favorites, mine is Schmidt & Bender, quite a few here love leupold. You have experience with Kahles and they are excellent too. I don't think that you can go wrong with any of them. If you pick S&B or Swarovski you will pick up a little more hunting time as the light transmission is the best, you will also pay 3 times what a luepold costs for that extra shooting time. Bottem line, if you use luepold as the baseline you won't go wrong. Personally, if I were you I'd get another Kahles that way you will know that each scope can be swapped for the other if a problem occurs.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
does anyone have experience with the Leupold LPS scopes. They sound very nice although I have never seen one.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
There is a 2.5-10X45 and a 3.5-14X50. They claim up to 99.65% light transmission per lens.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll go with bwanarm. For a rifle you may use for everything in Africa a 1.75x6 is tough to beat.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13005 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The LPS scopes have great eye relief and are very bright. They unfortunately are also very heavy. I have Swarovski 1.25x4 scopes on my big guns and really like them.
Take a look at the Leupold 1x4 with heavy duplex. Light weight and durable not to mention a good value.
The scope that interests me but I have not seen yet is the European Leupold line. Lower prices and a 30MM tube. Anyone have any experience with one?

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I have the 1.75-6x32mm Leupold on my 416Rem, and would not trade it for any other scope I have tried.

The objective is enough bigger than the 20mm on the 1.5-5x20 that it works very well in twilight conditions, yet the 1.75 setting lets you shoot with both eyes open.

I used the QRW Leupold LOW rings, and it's very low to the bore. Comes off quick and restores zero reliably.

It's still small enough to not be in the way.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a steel tube Weaver 2.5X with a post and crosshair on mine. It does what I need up close and personal.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Despite the fact that I took my first Buff and Elephant with a 2x scope on my .458 Win Mag.(over 25 yrs. ago), as I have aged and learned I have come to the conclusion that scopes are not a good choice for a DG rifle. If you need optics due to "aging eyes" issues, try a red dot.

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a burris sig safarie on mine. It has a
heavy tapered post with a flat top and cross hair about 2 moa under the top of the post . On at 200, top of cross hair on at 300 , dead on about 75. It took zebra at 225, bluewildebeest at 240 and a black at 270. All shots were on.
Its the best set up I got.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
You can compare field of view, length (for magnum actions this is a consideration) and price in one place at www.riflescopes.com.
The Khales looks like a winner and also th eNikon but I dont have experience w either.

The 2 x 7 is out for me based on field of view.

I did find myself wanting MORE LIGHT than I had w my 3 X 20mm tube for buffalo and kudu.

Andy

One of Us
Picture of steve_robinson
posted Hide Post
Leupold 1.75x6 VX111, Leupold QR bases and low rings on a Win mod 70 416 Rem Mag

Steve(NOT Shakari)Robinson
NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 226 | Location: Arlington, WA | Registered: 26 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Swaro PH 1.5-6x42 30mm 4A. It has a great FOV and great visibility in low light. I am using the same model scope on several guns, which IMO, gives you the advantage of always knowing what to expect no matter which gun you're using and if you take two guns on a trip, you have an automatic backup scope that you know will work on any of your guns. JMO

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Don't overlook the Docter Optik 1.5-6x42 (30mm) -- good glass for decent price. For some reason not carried by SWFA, but Bearbasin has them. So far so good, EAW swing mounts on .375, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the feedback guys!

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Thanks from me too. I just bought the same gun and was in the process of ordering a different scope. All of your input has changed my mind.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
It appears the 1.5 x 6 series we are talking about have a 72 foot field of view at low power. This is somewhat more than the 20mm Leupolds at 1-4 and 1.5 x 5.

Do any of you guys know if the Khales 1.5 x 6 will fit on a magnum (Rigby sized) CZ action????

Thanks, Andy

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I've used 2.5x8 Leupolds on four different rifles (including my .416) I've taken on safari. Took elephant and buffalo and couldn't be happier with that scope in those situations. Keep it set on the lowest power for regular carry. Turn it up if you need it for plainsgame, testing loads or sighting.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote