Notify
Tools

M1Tanker Is My Hero!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
Folks:

I just found out that one our own, M1Tanker is a truely selfless person. He's a soldier, of course, stationed at Ft. Bliss and holds the rank of Sargeant (E-5, I believe). At present, there are hundreds of young men at his duty station undergoing training in the Texas heat. They are working seven days a week, sleeping 20 or so to a tent and don't have but a few hours a week off.

M1Tanker has taken it upon himself, and at his own expense, to put a little "normalcy" in these troops lives. He rounds up a few guys on Saturday nights (their only time off) and invites them into his home for grilled steaks and a brew or two, trying to give them some relief from their tough schedule in getting ready to go to Iraq or Afganistan. How he's been doing it to date on his Army pay, I don't know, but I figure he can use some help, so I sent him a check yesterday. Saeed has, too.

You can contact him by private message at M1Tanker and get his mailing information if you want to help out with a few "Saturday Night Feeds".

I just wish this old fart Marine could drink a cold one with the guys (and maybe girls?) and thank them for their sacrifices. Hey, these folks are reserves, too. They've left family, jobs and more at home. Let's let them know we appreciate it.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tanker,

P.M. me your address, please. Thanks.

Dungbeetle

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I just wanted to say thanks to those of you who have kicked in to give the deploying soldiers a taste of home while they are here at Ft Bliss.

We are going to have a steak feed for them in a couple weeks, as soon as they get their first full day off. Rick311's son has 31 troops under him and we are going to try and have a BBQ en-mass for them. I promise I will figure out how to work the wifes digital camera so I can post pics here for everyone. In the mean time my wife promises to mother hen as many of the boys as she can.

On behalf of myself and all of the deploying soldiers thanks for everything.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Judge G:
Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

What these young folks are doing for us deserves our gratitude and support as does M1 Tanker's efforts to boost their morale.

Regards,
hm

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I need to clarify a few things here. Most of the guys that are here for deployment come from Idaho National Guard. Which happens to be my home state and also where i started my military career with the ID Guard. My old unit is here and a lot of the guys here are friends I grew up with and served with before I went active duty. Trying to help out my buds was only natural. Then when I found out Rick311's, a fellow AR member, son was going to be coming down I offered to help out if I could. Rick had already helped one of my soldiers in a big way. Helping his son was the least I could do. Believe me when I tell you that I did nothing special and any of you would have done the same.

Judge got word that these guys were stuck down here living in worse conditions than they will be in when they are deployed and threatened me with a serious ass wupping if he wasnt allowed to kick in on a steak feed for the guys. The guys have been pretty much kicking in for the grub so it hasnt been bad at all, my wife takes care of the side dishes and I cook the steaks. (You find anything over medium rare here) The guys are great with my 3 kids and allow themselves to be used as human monkey bars for my kids.

There are about 5700 soldiers total here right now and life is pretty rough for them. They dont get much down time and the food these guys are fed is not the best. I have ate chow with them a few times and find it pretty rough. So I invited the guys over whenever they can slip away. It started with my fellow Idaho boys and nows Rick311's son. They are welcome any time, even it is just for a chance to be a couch potato and watch TV.

I consider it a privelage to have these guys around and they will always be welcome in my home.

Judge's offer was very kind and generouos and in a couple weeks when they get their first weekend off we are going to have a big bash. (thanks to Judge and Saeed we will be able to have a good steak feed for a lot more soldiers) I told the guys about what these guys are doing for them and it deeply touched them that there were people out there who cared enough about them to show that much kindness.

I want to thank those of you who have offered to keep the boys in red meat and help them out. Rick's son, the Idaho boys, and their troops also convey their deepest thanks.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote