Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Single shot rifle..
 Login/Join

posted
Anyone at this forum used a single shot rifle for buffalo hunting...

Posts: 13 | Location: sweden | Registered: 03 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Took a buff in Zimbabwe a few years ago with a rifle built on a 1902 patent Webley falling block action with hand detachable barrels in .375 and .300 H&H flanged magnum. Used the scoped .375 H&H flanged barrel, loaded with a 300 gr. Barnes X bullet. The buff was quartering on and the round went inside the on shoulder, through the heart/lung and into the paunch. The buff slowly walked about 80-90 yards and died. Bullet was not recovered. Extraction with the old action can be sticky depending on how hot you load the flanged cartridge.

Reason I used the falling block was to test it and because one of the safari company trackers volunteered to carry my double. Normally, no one carries an extra rifle and, in principle, all my buffalo/elephant rifles are over .40 caliber doubles, although I might go for buff, and, of course, the cats, with my .375 bolt gun.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Member 500Nitro uses a Ruger No1 in 500 Nitro. Have also guided several clients who have used Single shot rifles (almost all Rugers) on Elephant and Buff.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote