THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Going to Africa? Willing to help Children?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going to Africa? Willing to help Children?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi all, I have set my plans for my first Africa adventure and will be in Zimbabwe hunting with Nyala Safari in September. I can hardly wait.
I recently approached the CARE PROGRAM and EOPS PROGRAMS working with children here in California and was fortunate enough to have secured a supply of gift items used to help kids in school. The items include travel bag/backpacks and tote bags and other helpful items which students need and cannot pay for most of the time. I have been buying and stocking them with paper and pencils and other school items to help promote education in Africa. My PH, EVANCE MAKANSA is making arrangements for me to visit at least two different remote schools where I can make a small contribution for children trying to become educated.
I was a little unrealistic in how much I could get there from her and have another several cases yet to send. I was lucky to make connections with a friend who is setting up a dental clinic in Tanzania so we are filling his shipping container with the bulk of the packs I have and are distributing as much as possible using my Daughters missionary group and a high school friend to try and do some real good. I still have lots to send and cannot afford all the extra weight myself.
So..... I am wondering if anyone would be willing to help out and distribute some of these goods where you are hunting as well? I will ship to you in the states and ask only that you send me photos of the kids either using the packs or wearing them and using the school stuff. I promised the agencies I would send them photos of their packs being used wherever they went.
If you can help please let me know.
I thank you,
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
Frank

You are doing some thing similar to us. I made contact with our PH about needy schools in the general area we are hunting. We received a wish list from the school Administrator. We were in luck as the primary language taught is English in the Namibian schools. We have collected a large number of age appropriate books from our neighborhood. Purchased requested warm clothes from our local Goodwill, purchased bulk school supplies from COSTCO, purchased a bunch of very colorful jump ropes at Wal-Mart for $1.00 each, a few soccer balls that I have deflated for packing and ordered a number of Oxford Dictionaries from RSA to have shipped to the school. All of this, for very little money.

My whole family is allotted 2 bags each on the trip and we can get all of our stuff in to 1.5 bags + my rifle case. So that left a lot of room for the donation items. We purchased some cheep luggage at our swap mart to pack the items in and leave behind with the school or bring souvenirs back.
My wife and I got some donations from our work mates to help out a little. But over all it is very cheep.
I want my children to see how much they have and how great the opportunities are here in the USA. They are already little world travelers but this will be there first under developed country.

In the letter from the Administrator, she had stated quote “that it had been many many years since she has had the opportunity to fill out a wish list to Santa for the kids or schoolâ€

Good on ya for what you are doing.

Semper Fi
Will Barks

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Right back at you and thanks for the note of your plans. I also have a bunch of fun stuff and the jump rope idea is a good one along with the soccer balls. I found a lot of good fun stuff for kids that won't break the bank but which they will enjoy.
I wish I had more room to take more stuff but my tuffpak is already full and well beyond the weight limit.
It actually feels good making these plans along with the hunting.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the availability of SCI Blue Bags. My understanding is that you can ship them with you for little or nothing as the airlines allow for bags for humanitarian purposes. Someone out there that's had that experience please report.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
contact SCI for more info on the "Blue Bag" program

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up on that.
Does anyone know if they will allow this goiing into Zimbabwe? I guess I need to know about the US GOV. policy on that as well.
Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Frank!

Last year I took along all the school supplies as well as medical supplies that I could fit into my bags. They were well received by the local schools in the Omay. Although the school administrator would not allow me to take any pictures of the kids. He said he was afraid they would be used to denegrate the Zim school system in the foreign press. The medical supplies were really appreciated by the local clinic at Siakovbu. They especially appreciated a supply of sterile needles as they were forced to use the ones they had over and over.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank,

We're hunting Zambia in September and had hoped to take some things for the kids. We would be happy to distribute some of the packs and school supplies if possible. I'll email Laura DuPlooy and see if we can visit some local schools. I'll let you know.

Cheers,
Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
couple notes - the airlines will allow extra baggage for school supplies at no cost, but you may have to remind them of it. andy - you can certainly visit schools, laura is really high on this. one thing we brought last time was some frisbees, they were the hit of the day. never had a school administrator disallow pictures before, must have taken admin lesson from bob.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Butch,

That's good to know about the airline, I ask Gracy Travel about that. I'll PM Frank and see what I can get going.

Andy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank, We will be hunting Zim in Sept. My wife has already made arrangements to visit a school and she has her second beg packed with stuff for the kids, but she has not yet filled my second bag, so we could take some of your supplies and distribute them.

Posts: 252 | Location: Morris IL USA | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Frank

Like the thinking, really unselfish.

Taking the stuff into Zim should not be a problem as long as you are not taking in any journalists, etc into the country.

We are busy setting up a trust fund for the same purpose as yourselves as well as providing extremely urgent malaria medicine and mosquito netts. We are working in conjunction with a food outlet called Nando's, a talk radio station called 702 and the famous adventurer Kingsly Holgate. We hope to do North East parts of RSA. South West parts of Mozambique and South East parts of Zim. The problem is that all the effected parties are children and women who stay in the campfire areas. there is a massive increase in the death toll from Malaria.

I will be posting details on AR once the trust fund is established for those who would like to make a financial contribution.

Regards

Aubrey

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If there are any guys who will be taking you up on your offer to bring the parcels in we fly up into Zim often and would be more than happy to assist in getting the goods up there if we have space

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank,
I have been to RSA twice now, and both times I took a large amount of school supplies. On both trips there happened to be a local elementary school near by. I went to Sams club and walmart, both donated. Plus along with my own $$, I was able to give the kids what they probably would have never gotten. I can tell you that the blessing you can bring into their lives is priceless and you will get a great deal of satisfaction. It will cost you though, all of the goods plus extra bags and fees, but it's all worth it.......wapiti7

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adrook:
Frank,

We're hunting Zambia in September and had hoped to take some things for the kids. We would be happy to distribute some of the packs and school supplies if possible. I'll email Laura DuPlooy and see if we can visit some local schools. I'll let you know.

Cheers,
Andy

Thank you for the thought. I will await your note.
Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.C:
Frank, We will be hunting Zim in Sept. My wife has already made arrangements to visit a school and she has her second beg packed with stuff for the kids, but she has not yet filled my second bag, so we could take some of your supplies and distribute them.

Thank you for the offer. I will get a mix of items for you to take along and send them to you. Please PM your mailing info.
Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .458Aubs:
If there are any guys who will be taking you up on your offer to bring the parcels in we fly up into Zim often and would be more than happy to assist in getting the goods up there if we have space

Thank you very much. I will watch for your post and information. I recently organized a donation of Dental equipment and supplies, mattresses and bedding for a medical group in Tanzania and am finding the network of helping hands is filled with likeminded individual as yourselves.
Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Martinez:
quote:
Originally posted by adrook:
Frank,

Cheers,
Andy

Thank you for the thought. I will await your note.
Frank

Frank,

PM sent.

Cheers,
Andy