New
Find
Notify
Tools

shots taken at 10 yards or less
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am wondering how many people have taken animals at distances 10 yards and under? What I'm referring to is the initial shot not.

Merry Christmas!!!

Mike

Posts: 1859 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post

<<<<<<<<< YES >>>>>>>>>>> A cape Buffalo, where the last of four shots from two rifles, was fired at less than 5 yds!

Guess who checked his shorts to see in a bath was needed!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
also DUGABOY1
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Collector/trader of fine double rifles, and African wildlife art

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
When he was the one I wanted, yes, indeed.

[This message has been edited by Nickudu (edited 12-24-2001).]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whoa MacD37, Life must have been interesting for a short time!!!!!

I have seen bongo taken at 10 yards but the dogs had it bayed. I have also had many animals pass by me at 10 yards while glassing other animals but I've never taken an animal besides duikers that were called in and those with a shotgun.

Mike

Posts: 1859 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I took a steenbok at that range. Have shot all my deer in that range too, but they were bow/arrow kills.

------------------
~Ann

Every day spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Posts: 19213 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Wasn't in Africa, but I once killed a whitetail that was only 20 feet away when I shot it. It was running and passed within 6 feet of me after I shot it. 12 gauge slug split its liver and it still ran another 125 yards. I called a bull elk to within 20 feet also but couldn't draw my bow. Nothing between us but grass. Can only imagine excitment of having a cape buffalo that close.

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
I took a couple of wild boar, white-tailed doe and a warthog up close.

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

<tohuffs>
posted
I shot this reedbuck at 3 steps.

[This message has been edited by tohuffs (edited 12-24-2001).]

<Bill>
posted
Nice Reedbuck!

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

<Terry P>
posted
MacD37,
Tell us more about this buffalo. Sounds like a good story!!
Terry

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
A fallow doe at 8 yards. About 3 hours ago.
Just in from the skining shed!

------------------
Regards

Richard

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
My appoligies to those who have already heard this story! It has been told here before, so bare with me through the REPEAT!

My PH and I were stalking some Cookson's Wildebeest we had spotted in some heavy bush, while coming back to the Bakki from checking a water pan for Buffalo. My main quary was Buffalo so I was carrying my double rifle, a 500/450 NE. as we made our way through the heavy thorn to get a shot on a willie bull, we were suddenly made very aware of a disgrunteled Buffalo bull closeing on us fast from our right, and down wind. As we both turned to face the bull he was at around 20 yds, my first shot, a 480 gr soft point, hit him in the chest, just above the "V" where the neck meets the chest, and at what sounded like the same shot the PH's 375 H&H 300 gr soft hit in almost the same place. NO EFFECT! My left barrel, stoaked, with a solid, hit the bull in the nose, on into the brain, very shortly the second 375 H&H, a 300 gr solid hit him in the nose as well, but we found later the 375 had exited the cheak, and re-entered between the left shoulder and the ribs ending up there.

All I can say is, luck was with us on this day, for if that one bullet had missed the brain we would have had some difficulty for sure. The first two shots had both hit the heart, but there was no visible effect at all. and the only bullet that was able to stop this bull in his tracks was the lucky brain shot. The bull was dead,after the first two shots, he just didn't know it! In retrospect, maybe all four shots should have been in the head, but at 20 yds and closeing fast we are not talking about a great deal of time to think! As I said I checked my shorts,they were clean, and as it turned out I couldn't go for two days after! The bull's nose was only 15 feet from my toe when he died. I'd like you to think this was all well thought out by my cool no-nearve thinking, but it was that I didn't have time to get scared till it was all over, then I almost had a heart attack! For the life of me, I cannot remember re-loading my rifle, but later discovered I had!
I've shot some Buffalo, but this is the only true charge I have experienced with Buffalo. Was it un-provoked? I say "NO"! I think we surprised him, and were too close. He was just takeing care of business. We did find evidence later that some lion had been harrassing buffalo in this area, so maybe he thought we were lion. Anyway alls well that ends well! Fun while it's happening, But makes you sleep lightly that night, when you remember how close it was! I was only about 50 years old when this happened, and my reflexes were sharp, I don't think it would turn out as good at my age now of 65 Yrs, and 30 lbs heavier!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
also DUGABOY1
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Collector/trader of fine double rifles, and African wildlife art

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
MacD37;

If I have to read that story just one more time, I'm blowing my brains out.

Just kidding. I've re-read Taylor, Sanchez, Neumann, etc. so many times, I've lost count.

There is no such thing as too much gun, or too many DG stories, even the 100th time around!!

Be well,

Will

Posts: 19331 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Phyllis the hotshot>
posted
In Sept this year, I shot an Elephant cow at less than 5 yards. It was an exhilerating experience that I certainly hope not to repeat. I was amazed at the impact of the round and the effect of a brain shot, close up.
P.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot quite a few deer at 10yards or less including one from a high seat where I had to take care with my toes!

IMHO these are the shots to take great care over. The temptation is to lift the head at the moment of firing which has the effect of lowering the butt and missing. Add in excitement and the temptation to rush and snatch and you have a sure fire recipe for a miss.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot many deer at less than 10 yds. The closest shot I've taken was at a badger that was coming for me. I was on my back spread eagled and shot it with a pistol between my feet, after missing it with the first shot.

------------------
JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote