THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Anyone hunted leopard with open sights?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone hunted leopard with open sights?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What do you think? Is there enough light at the time your most likely to see one, that would allow a shot out to 100yds?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
My guess is that it might be possible to do if they are run by dogs. Over bait, I would think that the extra shooting time given by a scope would be appreciated and needed 95% of the time.

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leopard at 100 yards at dusk/dawn with open sights? Rather not......

Posts: 256 | Location: Africa | Registered: 26 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Not to pissers on anyone's dreams, but this sounds like the start to a PH's campfire story about how he got mauled! "I tried to talk him out of it. I even offered to let him use the camp rifle free of charge! So anyway were was I...oh leopard was on top of me....."

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I do not think you will be more then 40yds from your bait tree... You could get some tridium sights on your rifle and see how long you can shoot accurately...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
Not to pissers on anyone's dreams, but this sounds like the start to a PH's campfire story about how he got mauled! "I tried to talk him out of it. I even offered to let him use the camp rifle free of charge! So anyway were was I...oh leopard was on top of me....."

Brett

+1 thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like an unnecessary risk to me.
465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wouldnt be my first choice, but 100s of leopards have been shot with open sights in India and Africa. BUT those were different days.

Posts: 2537 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Maybe, just maybe on a hound hunt, but at much closer than 100 yds.

On a baited hunt I'd much prefer to use a scope.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Whether a bad or good practice, this man shot this Leopard this past May with an 1886 .45-90 with open sights. As you can see, it was daylight and as it happens, the cat was eating a farmers goat at the time. One 300 grain Nosler Protected Point at 2200 fps and the cat was DRT.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot my leopard in Namibia 30 minutes after official sunset. I could barely see the leopard in the scope and open sights would have been impossible.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I can always leave the blind, if it gets to dark, and I cannot see much with open sights.Are most leopards shot on bait when the light is low? Do I stand a good chance of seeing one when there is enough light? If most blinds are at 40 yds from the bait,I don't think there should be a issue or a need for a scope-forty yards is really close.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:

Brett

+1 thumb

But there will be a $100.00 tip at the end of the hunt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Whether a bad or good practice, this man shot this Leopard this past May with an 1886 .45-90 with open sights. As you can see, it was daylight and as it happens, the cat was eating a farmers goat at the time. One 300 grain Nosler Protected Point at 2200 fps and the cat was DRT.

No better way to shoot one,IMO.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:

Brett

+1 thumb

............And plus another one! Eeker

I'm sure, however, any number of leopard have been taken with iorn sights over the last 100 years! I'd much rather have a good light gathereing scope with a lighted retical,like the 3-9X40mm Trijicon scope!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I guess I can always leave the blind, if it gets to dark, and I cannot see much with open sights.Are most leopards shot on bait when the light is low? Do I stand a good chance of seeing one when there is enough light? If most blinds are at 40 yds from the bait,I don't think there should be a issue or a need for a scope-forty yards is really close.

My imression is the more remote/wild the area is the more likely the leopard is to come in during day light. In populated areas leopards are well educated and very likely to be highly nocturnal as that's their natural tendancy anyway. Most leopards are probably shot at night or at very last light depending on area and regulations. This does NOT lend well to open sights!! It just seems like you're completely removing your ability to shoot during the most likely and productive time last light! I'd be prepared for multiple trips or to pay up to hunt some truely remote and wild areas if you're serious about being successful.

Brett

PS. If I was serious about said "stunt" I would damn well know my limitations and not push it as someone could very likely get mauled!!!!!

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Open sights + Leopard = trouble

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dogged leopard, no problem but prefer an aimpoint on the rifle Wink

Leopard over bait? You'l be lucky. I would gues in zim average distance to bait is 80m and average shot is after last light or before first light - ie after you no longer see colour. During the main hunting season last light is usually 10-15 minuts before last legal shooting time.

Sa,e goes for the morning wait. By the time you can see colour, spots has gone. Also inside the blind is Alot darker than outside....no, you will not be able to see you sights for the 'average' baited leopard.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I am by no means an expert on this, but having shot two leopard, I would not shoot one with open sights. I agree with LionHunter's assessment.+1 thumb

one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
Dogged leopard, no problem but prefer an aimpoint on the rifle Wink

+1 (although I haven't personally tried the Aimpoint). A ghost ring rear and good hi-vis front made for a fast combo on the Zim spottie that I took with dogs in 2002.

Spotties in poor light with irons seems to be a recipe for someone getting scratched (and it isn't likely to be the client who dreamed up the idea). Read Patterson's "Maneaters of Tsavo"; very instructive regarding cats/irons/dim or no light. Wink

Simple equation, really. Spottie over bait equals scope.

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 603 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From what I gather here,since I want to hunt with open sights,hunting baited leopard may not be the best idea.I'll probably do another buff hunt instead.I would really like to do a lion hunt but I am not willing to spend that money and stand a big chance of coming back empty.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i used open sights for my leopard- but it was just the front bead on a Ruger O/U 12 gauge with SSG stuffed in the tubes. of course at the 10 feet i shot him, a rear sight wasn't really necessary.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13147 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if any cats were killed before the advent of the scope? Wink

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No!! Roll Eyes

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by wetdog2084:
I wonder if any cats were killed before the advent of the scope? Wink

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
I, of course, hunt Leopard with a handgun, so hunting them with open sights -- particularly at typical bait situation ranges, shouldn't be much more difficult.

That said, I have a VERY healthy respect for the Leopard and want never to have to - or have anyone else have to - dig one that I've wounded out of heavy undergrowth in the dark. Accordingly, I won't take the shot until I am absolutely certain, in my own mind, that I can hit a specific individual spot on the cat -- the aim small, miss small mentality. I can't do that with open sights in bright light, let alone with a torch, so I've never tried it and never will.

The Leopard is not to be trifled with.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway - Unless you absolutely insist on open sights, I would use a scope! Including both lion & leopard, I have shot 14 of them. I have seen blinds from 30 yards out to exactly 100. Range of the blind can vary greatly, depending on multiple factors. Brett makes a good point, that your destination of choice could also play a big factor in the use of open sights when hunting leopard. Often times in much more remote areas, places like much of Tanzania and Zambia, for example. Leopards are not as wary, and will come to bait a bit earlier in the day, but not always. Still though, last light is CAT TIME, and I would highly recommend a quality scope to help ensure greater success. If you insist on open sights, if possible take two guns to the blind and use the appropriate one based on the conditions. JMO.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
Shootaway - Unless you absolutely insist on open sights, I would use a scope! Including both lion & leopard, I have shot 14 of them. I have seen blinds from 30 yards out to exactly 100. Range of the blind can vary greatly, depending on multiple factors. Brett makes a good point, that your destination of choice could also play a big factor in the use of open sights when hunting leopard. Often times in much more remote areas, places like much of Tanzania and Zambia, for example. Leopards are not as wary, and will come to bait a bit earlier in the day, but not always. Still though, last light is CAT TIME, and I would highly recommend a quality scope to help ensure greater success. If you insist on open sights, if possible take two guns to the blind and use the appropriate one based on the conditions. JMO.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
Thanks Aaron,I didn't think of taking two rifles.I guess I could also take one rifle with a quick release scope.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway - Two guns or removable scope, neither are ideal options, but doable if you move slowly, and keep quiet. I always keep my gun leaned up against the blind directly in front of me. No doubt I could easily grab one gun or the other, depending on which one I wanted to use. I have never done it, but it certainly would work.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a scoped '06 on my leopard, behind dogs in daylight. When he charged, I looked around the scope and shot him at 5 yards. Irons would have been better in this situation. however, I will use a scoped rifle next time.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote