THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Shipping trophies from South Africa and Cameroon to Canada

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping trophies from South Africa and Cameroon to Canada
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I hope some of our Canadian hunters that hunt in Africa can give me some advice with my importing problems. I have mounted trophies from a South African taxidermist and some dipped and packed trophies from Cameroon (my own trophies) to be shipped to me in Whitehorse. As the closest port to receive such shipments is Vancouver, B.C. I contacted customs clearance broker, Hecny to receive the goods for me. They told me that if it was not for business they could not act on my behalf and must do it my self. I told them I own a business and they could receive it on behalf of the company. Now they tell me my company needs to be activated for import by Revenue Canada. Now what? Help!

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a fellow Canuck, I can certainly feel your pain. It's pretty sad when you think that you are prepared for all the hassles and problems that you expect to occur at the African end, only to find that your own country's policies cause you far more grief in the long run.

My taxidermist recommended the following:

Peninsula Custom Brokers Limited
90 Archangel St.
Fort Erie, Ontario
L2A 5N8
Ph: 905-871-5922
Fax: 905-871-1444
www.peninsulacustoms.com

This outfit apparently got my trophies into the system at this end. I say "apparently" as I have yet to see them, but they have been in-country since around July of this year. Raw skins had to go to a government-approved tannery (in Alberta, only one in the whole country), skulls and horns went into quarantine here in Ontario, and money went flying in all directions. They are apparently at the taxidermist now (haven't been yet to see them) and all is supposedly well.

These were raw trophies, not finished mounts, but perhaps contacting this outfit might at least point you in the correct direction to get something done. Best of luck.

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jhaney,

Have you tried something as simple as contacting Canada Customs (or whatever their current title is)directly? I brought in some trophies from Zambia at the start of the year and found, like you, that CC's system is designed to allow private individuals to clear their own items for private use. The brokers won't touch them. As shocking as it may seem, Canada Customs was very helpful. It took a while to get the right manager on the phone, but they were all helpful and proffesional. IIRC, I had to shuttle some paper work back and forth between CC and the shipping company office. Obviously a PITA for you, but perhaps a courier could do it for a few bucks. I'd start by calling CC and seeing what advice they give.

Good luck,
Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are not already aware C.C will be charging you G.S.T. on the trophy fees paid for the unmounted animals and on the cost of the Taxidermy for the finished mounts.

Posts: 45 | Location: saskatchewan,canada | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sadly, my wonderful buffalo trophy taken in February in Cameroon has disappeared en route . (Swiss Air) They claim no responsibility and sadly the chap in Cameroon paid the shipping in advance ... So how did this Canadian do ??? Frowner

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kestrel:
If you are not already aware C.C will be charging you G.S.T. on the trophy fees paid for the unmounted animals and on the cost of the Taxidermy for the finished mounts.

A really good reason to get your taxidermy done overseas.

Scruffy,

Your buff is simply gone? Whne did you find out?

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a tracking number ... and was waiting for it to get to Switzerland and then on to Vancouver ... As near as we can figure out ???? it never made it to Switzerland ??? Aiiiieeeee !!!

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now THAT is a bitter pill to swallow. Do you have any further recourse, or is it a dead issue?

I hope that you have lots of photos.

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of photos and great memories .. Now that hunting is mostly over here in Alberta I can do some phoning but it does sound rather grim ...