Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x62 for Hippo and Croc
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
Curious whether anyone has experience with using the 9.3x62 on hippo or croc. I know that there are alot of 9.3x62 shooters on the forum, including Ganyana, so thought I would pose the question. Given the similarity of handloaded 9.3x62 ammunition to .375 H&H ammunition, I would think the caliber would be fine, particularly on croc. Thank you in advance for your opinions and input.

Mike

Posts: 21666 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

The only reason that the 9.3x62 would not be perfect for croc and hippo is if you hunt the hippo on land and you have to take body shots. A hippo is a giant animal and you would not be over gunned with a howitzer.

I've brained 3 hippos and taken one croc also with a brain shot. Almost any Africa worthy rifle would suffice with precise shot placement for the brain shot.

Interestingly I'm trying for another hippo and croc next year in Mozambique and I'm seriously considering taking a very accurate 9.3x62 with the 250 TSX. It might be perfect for plains game/hippo/croc when accompanied by a 416, 458 of some sort.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
The 9.3mm worked well on the Hippo I shot. But as the saying go's "it's not often the guns fault but the Mug behind it.

My Blaser 9.3mm is my most accurate rifle up to 200m so I would be happy to use it for these types of shots.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot my only croc with a 30-06, but, would like to shoot a 9.3. I am just to old to start rifle collecting again; don't get to shoot the ones I have enough.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Mike as mark says the only place where the 9.3X62 would be lacking is if body shots are needed in the persuit of a hippo on land. If shot in water, only the brain shot is correct, so the 9.3 if accurate is all that is needed. Anything from the .30 calibers up, is fine for both croc, and hippo in water, for brain shots,because accuracy is the most important thing here. I would, and have used monolithic solids on hippo in water, with clean kills every time. sometimes a poor angle through the back quarter of the neck to the brain is all that is offered,on a real trophy bull, and there the solid works best!

Good hunting! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Almost any Africa worthy rifle would suffice with precise shot placement for the brain shot.

Interestingly I'm trying for another hippo and croc next year in Mozambique and I'm seriously considering taking a very accurate 9.3x62 with the 250 TSX.

Mark

That is the key - accuracy. If you don't hit the croc or hippo just right, it's into the brown water and gone. The margin of error is small - smaller than with probably all other game as it involves brain shots. The 9.3x62 will work as well as anything in the class if you can drive it well. It has given us many one shot Buffalo as well.

Johan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think I would try hippo Mark Sullivan style with a 9.3!

That would be the exclusive province of a big bore double (and quite a lot of fun to boot).

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be using a 9.3 X 62 for Croc and Hippo next year in Moz. So is the general concensus that a solid would be best for these two critters. I have developed two really accurate loads for my 9.3; 286gr. TSX and Barnes 286 gr. solids (right at 1/2 inch group @ 100 yds.) These two print only 1/2" off POI so either one works in the accuracy department. So, what is it TSX or Solid in everyone's minds?

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have only shot Hippo while hunting buffalo and caught them on dry land and have not use anything smaller than the .375 H&H..

I would not hesitate to use a 9.3 with solids, but I sure would prefer a 404 or 416 Rem. on dirt.......

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
I'll be using a 9.3 X 62 for Croc and Hippo next year in Moz. So is the general concensus that a solid would be best for these two critters. I have developed two really accurate loads for my 9.3; 286gr. TSX and Barnes 286 gr. solids (right at 1/2 inch group @ 100 yds.) These two print only 1/2" off POI so either one works in the accuracy department. So, what is it TSX or Solid in everyone's minds?

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

IMO, the solids are best for both, because anything that expands will take the top off the head of your croc, and on the hippo it doesn't matter as long as you have a shallow shot, but if you need to go through part of the neck to get to the brain, like on a quartering away shot, the expander may not penetrate deep enough. On land the 9.3 is too small with either bullet for the hippo, unless you get a perfect head shot! As 500 says, MS style, on the hippo, I'd be prone to use a 470NE Double, also with solids. Hit the brain with a 22 hornet, and you got a hippo, or croc, but I wouldn't count on it, with anything smaller than a 9.3!

I'm not a big fan of solids for the first shot except on these two animals, and elephant, but IMO the solid is the answer!

.............GOOD HUNTING thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I would suspect that most of the hippo are taken in the water, not on dry land. That said, taking one on dry land with a double would be treat.

Mike

Posts: 21666 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the course of hunting buffalo you will run into quite a number of dry land hippos, particularly in the Vugas..

I was chasing a herd of buffalo n a big vuga in Tanzanias Selous, with Richard Lemer and he was in the lead going down one gully after another. I heard him yelp and take on a burst of speed and about the same time I knew the problem as I put my hand on a Hippos nose and vaulted to the top and took off like a scalded dog behing Richard..The Hippo apparantly was unimpressed with such antics and continued his travel to his favorite water hole with no concern over the funny white boys that passed his snoot that day....Richard and I had a good laugh with that one and retell the story around most camp fires. rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400 Jeffrey's
posted Hide Post
I'm on board with the 9.3 X 62 with the 250 grain TSX. As for Mark Sullivan style........maybe not.

Posts: 142 | Location: Dreaming of Luangwa | Registered: 23 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 10 bore DR ought to bellypunch a hippo with a 900 grain bullet @ 1740 Ft/sec. BOOM
I could go up to 1100 grain bullet @ 1500 FT/Sec to make the hippo bounce backwards holycow

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote