New
Find
Notify
Tools

White Rhino listed as threatened
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The White Rhino was listed today by the USFWS as threatened...below is from Federal Register:

A Rule by the Fish and Wildlife Service on 05/20/2014

Publication Date:
Tuesday, May 20, 2014
Agencies:
Department of the Interior
Fish and Wildlife Service
Dates:
Effective May 20, 2014, we are adopting as a final rule the interim rule published at 78 FR 55649 on September 11, 2013.
Effective Date:
05/20/2014
Entry Type:
Rule
Action:
Affirmation of interim rule as final rule.
Document Citation:
79 FR 28847
Page:
28847 -28849 (3 pages)
CFR:
50 CFR 17

Affirmation Of Interim Rule As Final Rule.
SUMMARY

We, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service), are adopting as a final rule an interim rule to list the southern white rhino (Ceratotherium simum simum) as threatened under the authority of section 4(e) of the Endangered Species Act of 1973, as amended (Act), due to the similarity in appearance with the endangered Javan (Rhinoceros sondaicus), Sumatran (Dicerorhinos sumatrensis), Indian (Rhinoceros unicornis), black (Diceros bicornis) and northern white rhino (Ceratotherium simum cottoni). The interim rule was necessary, as differentiating between the horns and other products made from the southern white rhino and the endangered Javan, Sumatran, Indian, black, and northern white rhino is difficult for law enforcement to determine without genetic testing, decreasing their ability to enforce and further the provisions and policies of the Act. This similarity of appearance has resulted in the documented trade of listed rhinoceros species, often under the guise of being the unprotected southern white rhinoceros, and this difficulty in distinguishing between the rhino species protected under the Act and the southern white rhino constitutes an additional threat to all endangered rhinoceros species. The determination that the southern white rhino should be treated as threatened due to similarity of appearance will substantially facilitate law enforcement actions to protect and conserve all endangered rhino species. Therefore, for the reasons given in the interim rule and in this document, we are adopting the interim rule as a final rule without substantive change.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2899 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
someone should tell the USFWS to stick their rules up their rear ends!

If anyone hade any doubts that they are run by a bunch of stupid idiots who equate animals to humans should have no doubts now!

If this sort of thing is allowed to continue, we might see the following next:

We, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service), are adopting as a final rule an interim rule to list the common sheep......

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
So the white rhino is threatened, yet the lion may be listed as endangered. Wow...what a bunch of.........fill in the blank with your favorite expletive

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Not a better organization in the world to ruin hunting for US Hunters than the USFWS. wave And Dan the "Ass" Ashe is the perfect one to head them up. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Come on Tim, don't be so cynical bro! That makes perfect sense to me. faint

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't see section 4 of the ESA providing for one species to be listed as threatened, for the sole reason that other species are fraudulently traded. if the white rhino is not in fact threatened itself, I do not see section 4 as a basis for listing it.

(1) The Secretary shall by regulation promulgated in accordance with subsection (b) determine whether any species is an endangered species or a threatened species because of any of the following factors:
(A) the present or threatened destruction, modification, or curtailment of its habitat or range;
(B) overutilization for commercial, recreational, scientific, or educational purposes;
(C) disease or predation;
(D) the inadequacy of existing regulatory mechanisms; or
(E) other natural or manmade factors affecting its continued existence.

this looks like a simple challenge to make.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
So the white rhino is threatened, yet the lion may be listed as endangered. Wow...what a bunch of.........fill in the blank with your favorite expletive

I expect lion to receive threatened as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:

I think we will be lucky as hunters if "threatened" is all the lion receives...

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2899 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Their goal, is to make hunters "threatened." Ironically, that will be the first step to their own demise. But I guess they have a lot of species to go through before that happens.

Still waiting for my permits to import leopard and elephant from Tanzania. It's been over 3 months.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:

I think we will be lucky as hunters if "threatened" is all the lion receives...

Karl

I agree Karl. tu2

It will be interesting to see how Obama/Jewel play this card...as it has always been about politics and NOT the lion.

On one hand...Obama is struggling and needs to shore up his base. He could throw them a bone and go "endangered."

On the other...he has so many hornet nests stirred right now...he could choose the easy way out and try to give the activists a small token...threatened status...and know the right will accept this with little push back.

The problem as I see it is that the voice coming from pro-lion-hunting group has been so ineffective that he may NOT be worried stirring the right with it and just use it to shore the base.

I suspect they have struggled with what the right politics are "for them"...hence the flip-flopping of dates. I suspect that they have gone back and forth from "E" to "T" a few times.

I am still betting "T" in the end...let's hope!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Yes let's hope...maybe the shit storm they have created with the ele/ivory mess will show them that it will not be kept quiet and brushed under the rug,and they won't want to start another mess like that right away (especially since CITES didn't change their view on lions).

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
CITES did NOT REALLY say anything.

CITES is A LOT LIKE the UN...in my opinion...in fact...exactly the same. sofa

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
That's what I meant Lane- they didn't do anything, but that means they did not uplift the lion on their end.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Before you know it, white, middle-aged, heterosexual, Christian, conservatives, who believe in God-family-country and borders-language-culture will be endangered or threatened.
We are a dying breed.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Before you know it, white, middle-aged, heterosexual, Christian, conservatives, who believe in God-family-country and borders-language-culture will be endangered or threatened.
We are a dying breed.
Cal

It has already happened Cal.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
They could really make themselves useful by listing Zuma, Putin, et al as threatened? Roll Eyes stir
Sorry, hijack!!

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Or hunters as endangered Frowner

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4772 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote