Find
Notify
Tools

Lions on the Omay
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted
When I first hunted with Martin in 2009 I remember him telling me was paying the council the trophy for lions but not hunting them to help buildup the population. A couple of years later he started hunting them. I remember the first one killed was decried as the "Last Lion on the Omay" by Bumi Hills and Lion Aid. Since then several lion were taken on the Omay with quality steadily improving.

Feast your eyes upon this specimen. It was taken a couple of days ago in Omay North by a client hunting with Martin Pieters.

Congratulations to the hunter and also to Martin for his conservation efforts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a truely great lion no matter where you are in Africa. Well done to Martin and the client.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beast! Very nice

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Wow...that is a helluva lion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW
Congrats to the Client and PH this is a serious lion !

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A monster for sure!!! Well done Mart and client!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Well done!!

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Torbjørn
posted Hide Post
Fantastic lion! Congrats to the hunter and PH.

Posts: 315 | Location: Norway | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Beautiful big old Lion and these attached fees will go along way to protect this specie and associated habitat.

Well done Matin Pieters on your conservation efforts.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a great lion!!

Posts: 1020 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a brute! Congratulations to all involved in both the hunt and the local conservation work.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great job Martin!

Posts: 1924 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice!

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Hopefully the hunter is not an American so that "trophy-of-a-lifetime" can make it to his home...sad to say.

Well done Mart and client!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
SOME LION. Congrats.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice cat!

Posts: 11033 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW, What a magnificent trophy

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is amazing what wildlife can do with proper management. By Martin paying for the quota and not hunting them says volumes about them! What a success story. By the way, a GREAT lion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a spectacular lion, especially in this day and age. Congrats to all involved.. Bruce

Posts: 376 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I say, Oh MY to Omay!!!! Wonderful!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done Mart! Helluva of cat!

Posts: 1824 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Lion that dreams are made of...

Congratulations to the hunter and the guide.

Thanks Mike for posting!

Posts: 2628 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Damn now that's a lion!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow!!! That is a trophy of a lifetime.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
What a fantastic trophy, for any part of Africa!
Congratulations to the client and specially to Martin, I did not believe the Zambezi ecosystem could even produce such a lion!

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 532 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Amazing lion for that part of Africa. Congrats to outfitter and client.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is one seriously impressive pussy gato.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That thing is just cool!! Well done.

Posts: 259 | Location: Marietta, Georgia | Registered: 04 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful old lion, well done! The right age, everything. And there are plenty of lion in the Omay.

One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
Hunters putting REAL conservation into practise, and the results are proven.

Well done to all concerned.

Posts: 536 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Hopefully the hunter is not an American so that "trophy-of-a-lifetime" can make it to his home...sad to say.

Hey Lane,
Lot's of American citizens have holiday homes in Mexico et alia.....whould there be an issue if they import the trophy there?

Great lion!

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
quote:

Hey Lane,
Lot's of American citizens have holiday homes in Mexico et alia.....whould there be an issue if they import the trophy there?

Great lion!

That is a good question and one I am not qualified to answer. If the lion trophy was in Mexico or Canada...I am sure it is possible to get it into the US. Wink

But for some who can afford this kind of a hunt...they have a lot to lose if it became a "problem" for them legally.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
quote:

Hey Lane,

Great lion!

PS: I see I misread the intent of your question. You are asking if they could just leave it in their home in Mexico.

Yes...I am sure they could get that done for sure.

If you really study the Lacy Act though...their are some far reaching implications there...even for your implied scenario.

It would be far better to reverse the USF&W stance.

A rogue DOJ might be able to implement Lacy Law even in your hypothetical.

I have studied the Lacy Act a lot...pretty broad.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is one of the five "beasts" that we know of in the Omay, not a once off wonder. With regular buff in the forties.....hold onto your hats, the Omay is back

Sustainable quotas and anti poaching, hard work and sacrifices starting to show.

Posts: 26 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome trophy for both hunter & ph.
GREAT job Martin.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
Very well done Mart! Incredible cat.

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher Moore:
That is one of the five "beasts" that we know of in the Omay, not a once off wonder. With regular buff in the forties.....hold onto your hats, the Omay is back

Sustainable quotas and anti poaching, hard work and sacrifices starting to show.

Awesome!!!

Now if we can just get the USF&WS to allow us to import lion trophies from places such as this with good conservation through hunting...all will be good.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Safaris Botswana Bound
posted Hide Post
Well done Martin , proof that investing in true conservation will win the day for wildlife , hunters and conservation.

Posts: 473 | Location: Botswana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote