Hyena legend
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Twist in the tail of Hyena legend

April 30 2005 at 11:51AM

By Zukile Majova

It's no laughing matter.

Hyenas in KwaZulu-Natal reserves are under threat for the most unlikely reason. Poachers are killing the animals for body parts which are burned with herbs to form what is believed to be potent anaesthetic. Burglars think the fumes can overcome the occupants of houses, who are then burgled.

Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife Ulundi District Officer Sipho Khumalo said the conservation group had received reports that people were cutting up the eyebrows and the tails of the hyenas and mixing them with African herbs.

"Since this legend made its way into the criminal world, hyenas are killed at a rate of about five a month, and more would probably be killed if it was not so difficult to hunt them," said Khumalo.

He said the animals fetch a lot of money when sold to traditional healers.

Captain Velaphi Zulu of the KwaMashu police has warned residents to be aware of criminals using this technique.

A Durban beachfront resident, Sebolelo Mafukwana, who owns a flat at Wesmilner at the intersection of West and John Milne streets, said he was watching television when he fell asleep and woke up the next morning with his appliances, valued at more than R10 000, gone.

"They must have broken in through the bathroom window and I heard nothing, despite noticing when I woke up that they had moved furniture while stealing some of my valuables. They hit me with strong stuff, because I slept for more than 12 hours."

Some criminals also believe a hyena's tail can protect them from being detected by the police after a crime.

African legend is that hyenas were the most difficult animals to trap as they had sedative powers to make their hunters fall asleep while the carnivores ransacked kraals and killed sheep.

Even when the head of the house and other men waited outside the kraals with weapons ready to kill the animal, they would fall asleep and wake up after the hyena had killed the sheep.

Sazi Mhlongo, President of the KZN Traditional Healers Association, said traditional healers were reversing the method by mixing strands of the hyena's tail with some herbs to protect prospective victims.

This mixture, when used, would result in the criminals falling asleep at the scene of the crime, Mhlongo said.

This article was originally published on page 1 of The Independent on Saturday on April 30, 2005

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Interesting! Thanks.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Did someone say "Hyena"...? sleep

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:

A Durban beachfront resident, Sebolelo Mafukwana, who owns a flat at Wesmilner at the intersection of West and John Milne streets, said he was watching television when he fell asleep and woke up the next morning with his appliances, valued at more than R10 000, gone.

"They must have broken in through the bathroom window and I heard nothing, despite noticing when I woke up that they had moved furniture while stealing some of my valuables. They hit me with strong stuff, because I slept for more than 12 hours."

The 12 pots of beer at the shebeen earlier probably had nothing to do with it either. Wink

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In this country we use "quick start", an ether and Alchohol engine starter. Sold at most car spares places it works wonders at knocking unattentive people out. Burglars all use it, to keep the occupants of houses asleep (houses here are mostly burgeled whilst people are at home)

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
In this country we use "quick start"

"We", Ganyana? Is there something we should know about your career? Big Grin

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charles Mc Williams
posted Hide Post
I can see i have compettion i detest them, and have shot everyone i saw. They are a scavenger turned predator, if you have seen them kill, they eat their victim from the rear first while it is still alive. In my book thats not a true predator, just another target. Charlie

Posts: 343 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frans Diepstraten:
quote:
In this country we use "quick start"

"We", Ganyana? Is there something we should know about your career? Big Grin

Dang! a slip of the tongue. Secrets learned at civil servant school should not be released to the general public Big Grin

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dang! a slip of the tongue. Secrets learned at civil servant school should not be released to the general public Big Grin

So, you worked as a tax collector? Wink

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote