THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Zambian guide shows how to take on a charging elephant

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zambian guide shows how to take on a charging elephant
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-30508335

Link has the video and story.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, not nearly as dramatic as a Buzz Charleton shout down!

Eeker

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I must remember: a "remonstrating tone."
Actually, it was rather a dramatic shout down. The unarmed guide (foolhardy in and of itself) charged, in the open, at a belligerent elephant. A mock charge on his part, if ever there was.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
I like the part about taking three weeks to get up the courage to tell his wife. Smiler

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although not too smart (should have been armed), I will give him high marks for courage.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lucky it wasn't a determined charge. No gun keeps the greenies happy but is FRICKIN stupid!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something almost identical happened in TZ several years ago; same scenario with school kids on a walking safari in the Selous - the British guide/PH was stomped for words.

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
Although not too smart (should have been armed), I will give him high marks for courage.

I'm not so sure there - that sure looked to be the right move in that the results were there. As an unarmed guide, if that Ele had charged the Ele could easily have flipped the car and killed the lot of them. The guide had to do something and I'd have to say he did the right thing.

Serious balls there for sure.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rnovi:
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:

I'm not so sure there - that sure looked to be the right move in that the results were there. As an unarmed guide, if that Ele had charged the Ele could easily have flipped the car and killed the lot of them. The guide had to do something and I'd have to say he did the right thing.

Serious balls there for sure.

And he would have had his butt covered if would have had a gun in his hands.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
It is true that all the guides should be required to be armed, but the fact is they are not! That being said, the guy did what he had to do to avoid what may have been multiple deaths.

I say this guide needs a wheelbarrow to carry his balls!

................................................................ Eeker

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Zambia, in photographic tourism, the guide does NOT carry a gun. The ZAWA game scout carries a gun and is responsible to deal with the animal, while the tourist guide is responsible for the tourists. It sounds weird, but there are a lot less incidents in Zambia compared to countries where the guide carries the gun. If you don't carry your own gun you're less likely to push the boundaries (that's the reasoning behind it), but there still is a gun present.
I don't know if there was an armed ZAWA scout present at this incident, but in any way the guide acted correctly, and it's something actually which often happens in the unfenced camps all over the country. IMHO not really something special happened here.