Find
Notify
Tools

SCI Hotels. I'm curious!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Folks,

I just looked at the last e-mail blurb from SCI showing the MGM Grand as the host hotel for the show. I wonder how many folks that don't read everything they get from SCI or are not daily readers of AR don't know the convention is actually held quite a distance from the MGM. The convention center is actually off strip and the Westgate and SLS hotels are quite nice and actually next door to the convention center at the other end of the strip. If you have not made your reservations yet and are concerned with convenience maybe folks should look at these two hotels.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I changed my reservation from the Luxor to the West Gate for convenience and for wanting to be around other SCI members.I don't know why anyone attending would want to stay at the MGM.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The MGM is charging you more, so they can pay SCI clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68597 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
...I don't know why anyone attending would want to stay at the MGM.

The exhibits at the convention center represent only a portion of the convention to many members. The MGM is where evening events are held and is more convenient for the ladies. If I were still attending the shows, I'd stay there simply because I wouldn't have to go outside in my tuxedo.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
quote:
...I don't know why anyone attending would want to stay at the MGM.

The exhibits at the convention center represent only a portion of the convention to many members. The MGM is where evening events are held and is more convenient for the ladies. If I were still attending the shows, I'd stay there simply because I wouldn't have to go outside in my tuxedo.

Bill Quimby

I am under the impression that most people attending the convention don't go to the evening events and that those events are there for those within the SCI organization and a small elite group who probably would rather to be elsewhere.I went to one of these dinners my first time at the show and would not return even if it was free.Not only was the dinner not exciting but I felt that it was meant for only those within the organization.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
To each his own. Back when I still attended conventions, I usually met more people I knew at the evening dinners than on the exhibition floor.

Have no idea what percentage of members attend evening events, but nearly each of the close to 90 dinners I attended over 31 years, first as a contractor and later as just a member, was a sellout or very close to it. The huge dining halls were always packed, and not by a just "small elite group."

At any rate, you asked why someone would stay at the MGM and I've told you why I would.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
To each his own. Back when I still attended conventions, I usually met more people I knew at the evening dinners than on the exhibition floor.

Have no idea what percentage of members attend evening events, but nearly each of the close to 90 dinners I attended over 31 years, first as a contractor and later as just a member, was a sellout or very close to it. The huge dining halls were always packed, and not by a just "small elite group."

At any rate, you asked why someone would stay at the MGM and I've told you why I would.

Bill Quimby

It could be the dinners were busy because the conventions were held in Reno.That is were I went to the dinner.There is nowhere to go in Reno, whereas in Vegas restaurants in the Mandalay Bay were packed with SCI members.I think that next year with the show going to Reno there might be less people attending.At first I thought I would not like Vegas but it turned out that I did.I am sure that there are many members that feel the same way.If I go again to a convention next year it could be the one in Dallas.

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I am staying at Westgate. Save lots of travel time back and forth if you aren’t going to the auctions/dinners.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Bill Quimby

It could be the dinners were busy because the conventions were held in Reno.That is were I went to the dinner.There is nowhere to go in Reno, whereas in Vegas restaurants in the Mandalay Bay were packed with SCI members.I think that next year with the show going to Reno there might be less people attending.At first I thought I would not like Vegas but it turned out that I did.I am sure that there are many members that feel the same way.If I go again to a convention next year it could be the one in Dallas.

Over the years I attended them, SCI's conventions were held at various hotels in Las Vegas and Reno. The Mandalay Bay's dining hall was packed at both shows I attended at that hotel, and its dining hall was was much larger than those in Reno.

I've attended dinners at Dallas Safari Club's conventions, and enjoyed them, too.

It must be me, but I feel the conventions of both shows are reduced to mere trade shows if the evening events are skipped.

If I want a trade show, I'll go to the Shot Show.

Bill Quimby

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Been look at Weatherby and DSC and SCI online auctions. Some years prices seem really fair. Sometimes not.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always take at least one evening event,meals have always been good and then entertainment is decent.Works out to pretty good bang for your buck.Meet up with our local chapter which is 120 miles from where I live to catch up on news.Works for me !

Posts: 371 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We just booked the Westgate. The rate seemed cheap at $180.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
For those who haven't booked yet, here is a list of hotels which do not charge Resort Fees (half way down the page):-

https://www.lasvegasjaunt.com/...ort-fees-2018-guide/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are staying at Springhiil Suite just across the road.

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 266 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of donner
posted Hide Post
Booked at Luxor Smiler first time at the convensjon hope to meet some of the People behind the nicks from AR Wink

Rauma Hunting and Fishing Safaris
www.rauma-jakt-fiskesafari.no

Posts: 619 | Location: åndalsnes Norway | Registered: 05 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stayed where I wanted to considering that we couldn’t just walk to the show. Staying at the Delano.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
I'm staying at the Excalibur for $90 a night, including the resort fee. And it's across the street from the MGM. dancing

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote