Find
Notify
Tools

Questions - planning Zimbabwe Trip
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guys,

As I get myself organized, I find I have some random questions - thought I would put several on the same post:

- Synthetic pants - are they that bad? Everything I read says I should have cotton but I want zip off legs and very few cotton pants have zip-off legs. Also, I just like synthetics better - planning a plains game hunt - will they be too noisy - have found some with a soft finish. Also, my son prefers synthetics.

- Global Rescue - getting them for medical, would you pay for security if going to Zimbabwe?

- Taxidermy - just want to do a zebra rug - any reccomendation for that to be done?

- Ammo box - any best box - need two.

- Scope covers - neoprene ok? have heard dust is a real issue?

Thanks for any advice you can provide - much appreciated.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
One reason to use cotton is is absorbs sweat and then allows it to evaporate and thus keeping you cooler than most synthetics and the other reason for cotton is many synthetics can't be ironed at a high enough temperature to kill the mango/bot fly larvae and if you can't do that, the little bastards can then get into your body and trust me when I tell you that you need to avoid that at all costs. Frowner

Global Rescue: - Yes.

Ammo boxes: Most use MTN which are cheap and reliable. If you mean a lockable metal box to carry the MTN boxes in, just go for something of the right size to take the box and not have them rattle around. DON'T use a cash box because it's an open invitation to have it stolen.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Bot flies are the issue. They lay eggs in wet clothes and these clothes carry the eggs, which hatch with body heat and the maggot burrows into the skin. BIG problem!

So all clothes are ironed in order to kill the fly eggs.

I got this explanation in boarding school from other students who's parents lived in Africa.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11221 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 for cotton.
Cabelas sells a cheap, but comfy part of shorts - totally disposable at the end of trip if you want.

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
- Synthetic pants - Nope - Cotton only. Cabelas is the ticket

- Global Rescue - Medical only is just fine.

- Taxidermy - At least tan it in Zim, the costs stateside will be a lot more. If you want to rug it in Zim too, that is probably also fine though there are some great ruggers in the US.

- Ammo box - Pelikan

- Scope covers - Skip them altogether.

JMHO

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Cotton shorts and shirts with woollen socks and undies.

Synthetics? Ill leave the petrochemicals for my car's fuel.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tim416
posted Hide Post
Steve Collette on the Zebra rug. He has done work for us in the past and does a great job.
http://www.collettswildlifeartistry.com

Posts: 254 | Location: Maine, USA | Registered: 02 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tag safari makes cotton pants with zip off legs. Their gear is comfortable and durable. Global rescue is worth it at any price.

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cotton clothing.
Cabelas 7 pocket hiker pants.
Neopreme. I use it while in the truck, when we leave the truck I either leave them there or cram them in my pocket.
Best of luck to you no matter what you choose.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pants - Bass Pro http://www.basspro.com/RedHead...r-Men/product/99744/

Global Rescue - Yes, but keep in mind they are not Medical coverage, Trip insurance covers some/most Medical expenses incurred over there.

Ammo Box - Pelican 1200 hold 5 boxes of .375H&H and is lockable IF needed.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
The biggest problem with synthetic pants or shirts is the high heat of the irons used in a safari camp can actually MELT the fabric. Go with Cabellas cotton clothing. I especially like their long sleeve safari shirts. The pockets have zippers that a passport can be secured with and there are epaulets to secure rolled up sleeves when the temperature warms up. I buy them in a khaki color and a light green.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To be the odd one out I prefer synthetics for trousers and shirts these days. I find them cooler, less sweat logged and lighter. With a bit of wear they become softer and quiter than brand spanking new. Stalked up to 10yards from impala the other day, so quiet enough.
My wife commented during November in the Zambezi Valley that compared to the PH with his issue cotton shirt mine was much less sogged in sweat.

Ammo cases - Pelican

Global Rescue medical only is fine for Zim.

Posts: 403 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Always have worn cotton pants, never have worn anything but shorts while hunting.

Global Rescue Yes, while in Zim I pay the 10 dollars per day for MARS (Medical Air Rescue). It cost $150 per day for a 15 day hunt and your Zim outfitter can provide it. It may be redundant but if I need medical rescue I want it with no questions asked. I have never felt unsafe in Zimbabwe.

I have used TCI in Bulawayo. http://www.tci.co.zw/

I have a small Pelican case, it is a little heavy but indestructible.

Neoprene bikini cover is what I have used. Once away from the truck it is off the scope.

Good luck and have fun.

BTW I have worn Under Armour tee shirts on all my trips. My lucky shirt has been Tanzania and Zim five times and is actually a UA knockoff. The shirt and I have survived with no issues.

one of us
posted Hide Post
10generation,

Try to find cotton pants for all the reasons the other guys mentioned.

Do get some type of travel insurance.

If your only doing a zebra rug get it done in Zim.

The small Pelican cases work really well for ammo.

As Mike said Bikini covers for your scope. Do not use scope covers of any kind while actually hunting.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
No reason to get the security add on with GR.

Many cotton options for zip off legs. Magellan, Cabelas, Bass Pro all have some. (I have worn synthetics in Africa, but ... apparently I wasn't supposed to based on this thread Smiler )

Pelican ammo case is fine, or just about any other case that is lockable. It's the rule, so, I just use whatever makes them happy. There is little additional benefit provided by a heavy duty Pelican case over a lighter metal box. That said, I do use a Pelican.

Neoprene covers are just fine. Never taken a scope cover to Africa though. Lens pen is a good thing to take.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by timg953:
Tag safari makes cotton pants with zip off legs. Their gear is comfortable and durable. Global rescue is worth it at any price.

tu2

Tag Safaris cotton pants and shirts.

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10generation:
Guys,

As I get myself organized, I find I have some random questions - thought I would put several on the same post:

- Synthetic pants - are they that bad? Everything I read says I should have cotton but I want zip off legs and very few cotton pants have zip-off legs. Also, I just like synthetics better - planning a plains game hunt - will they be too noisy - have found some with a soft finish. Also, my son prefers synthetics. (Forget synthetics, period. 1. Most places require a hot, hot iron. 2. Cotton works from the Mountains of Maasailand, to the Sahel and Rainforest of Cameroon, to the plain old scrub of southern africa. 3. You can get cotton zip offs. I have several pair. 4. Unless someone is paying you to prance about in their camo synthetics, why feed those expensive items to the thorn monster that is Africa?)

- Global Rescue - getting them for medical, would you pay for security if going to Zimbabwe?
(No)
- Taxidermy - just want to do a zebra rug - any reccomendation for that to be done?
(I have several, and like the one from The Wildlife Gallery the best)

- Ammo box - any best box - need two. (For travel I use a lockable tin box. You only get 11 pounds box included.)

- Scope covers - neoprene ok? have heard dust is a real issue? (fine)

Thanks for any advice you can provide - much appreciated.
(Good luck and have fun)

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I love the Under Armour Guide III pants and shorts. They are synthetic, breathe, dry immediately, are super light, and have made numerous trips to Africa and haven't melted yet. They are also ripstop and pretty tough. I now pretty much wear synthetic fishing shirts and pants in safari colors all the time. If it is hot out, I really can't stand cotton...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
LL BEAN makes a great pair of cotton cargo pants, in good safari colors. I've taken mine there every trip, got ironed no worries. Lots of extra pockets, dries quick too. Post edit - oh yeah, these have the zip off legs too - must have for me.

Ammo box - I use a small Pelican, the appy PH's usually offer to commmit some immoral act to possess it, so it rarely makes the return trip, I just purchase another for the following years trip.

Scope covers - none other than the scopecote bikini type, stays on the rifle until it's time to make it go bang.

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 350 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cotton is best. I like Cabelas stuff.
Global Rescue - Medical only.
Any locking ammo box. I use hard plastic.
Scope covers are fine but I only use them coming & going. There, my rifle is in my hands or in a soft case while in the truck.

One of Us
Picture of megsdad
posted Hide Post
Colletts did a great job on a zebra skin rug for me.

Posts: 104 | Location: so oregon | Registered: 07 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
I love the Under Armour Guide III pants and shorts. They are synthetic, breathe, dry immediately, are super light, and have made numerous trips to Africa and haven't melted yet. They are also ripstop and pretty tough. I now pretty much wear synthetic fishing shirts and pants in safari colors all the time. If it is hot out, I really can't stand cotton...

same here. i have worn zip off synthetics pants and synthetic shirts( both made by Columbia) for the last 8 trips. they dry MUCH quicker, are lighter, haven't melted, and so far i don't have worms.....and if you think the noise from them is greater than the noise made by walking in corn flakes( i.e. the dried leaf litter on the ground)- well, i beg to differ.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have tree synthetic running shirts two made entirely of polyester and one mixed with merino.I have worn them jogging in the winter and casually.The two light weight polyester ones stink when you even sweat a little.The 80% merino 20% poly blend shirt is more breathable and comfortable and is odorless.The two polyester ones really feel cool,however.I like the light weight TAG cotton shorts and shirt for hunting.They look great in pictures also.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys this is really helpful. Lot of people are saying to get Global Rescue - to be clear, I have travel insurance, and medical evacuation.

My question was whether I pay the extra 500-600 for the security service - they come and get you in case of civil war, etc?

Thanks again.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10generation:
Thanks guys this is really helpful. Lot of people are saying to get Global Rescue - to be clear, I have travel insurance, and medical evacuation.

My question was whether I pay the extra 500-600 for the security service - they come and get you in case of civil war, etc?

Thanks again.

You don't need the security service for Zim. Regardless of the politics, you'll be safe there. I've taken my youngest son and my wife and will do so again as often as I can. Non-issue.

I've never gone the Global Rescue route. I always use Travel Guard instead. You'll pay the $10 per day MARS service fee regardless. From my research on this issue, and it's come up numerous times previously, if you need evacuation from the field, even with GR, MARS is going to be the asset that does the field extraction. Once back to town and hospital, TG will fly you home.

From what I was able to figure out, about the ONLY thing GR offers in Zim that TG does not, and again, this is just Zim with the MARS asset, GR gives you access to the Johns Hopkins physicians back home for consultation.

As I've asked this specific question a few times here before, and joined in on the same discussions, if anyone has evidence to the contrary of my statements, I'd like to hear them. I tried hard to justify purchasing GR on Zim safaris but just could not do so since I already had Travel Guard and MARS.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've already paid for travel guard as it included some health insurance as well.

Also curious as to others opinions.

JG

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I always buy Global Rescue without the security option. What I like is that if you are anywhere 150 miles away from home, the service works. That is on vacation with the family at the beach, in AK, in Africa, or wherever. For about $350/year, I don't see how it can be beat on an annual basis.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have to go with Tim and jdollar on this one. In the past it was always cotton everything. Last year in Moz was about 50/50 cotton/syn. This year it will be 90/10 on the side of synthetics. I have and use a lot of Eddie Bauer shirts, shorts, hats and pants that are synthetic and have sun protection and bug repell built into the fabrics. I always wash/wear them quite a bit prior to hunting and they become quiet and very soft to the touch. I use Under Armor T's in their Heat Gear line. Everything is easy to pack, light weight, fast drying and hold up nicely even after a month of use in the bush.

My travel insurance and personal insurance covers everything I need so don't go the Med Jet or Global Rescue route. As Tim mentioned GR does cover one in a lot of everyday situations here at home.

Ammo and lots of smaller items, knives, flaslights and such go in a small Pelican case. I have good locks on it and a permanent nametag in case it has to get shipped at some point on it's own.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
Sabatti 'trash' Double Shooter
R8 Blaser
DRSS

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No to synthetic clothes. Camp laundry does cotton much better.

Global Rescue for Zim - yes to medical - no to security

Zebra rugs are awesome !

Aluminum locking box that could be checked has worked best for me. Mine's a Kalispel.

Scope covers are for bumps at home & at the range. Not useful for the hunt. Another item that could slow you down.

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I only did cotton, but didn't have much synthetic gear then.

I think I just did a short term with either MedJet or GR, but only for my father.

I used the cheap plastic pistol cases you can pick up at most gun stores and removed the foam. Locked, of course.

I had the standard Swaro see through covers, but they were only used in transport on the back of the truck. They came off during hunting.

Good luck and enjoy.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A little more on synthetics. Over half the time on my 30 day stay in Moz, I spent FIVE minutes washing my synthetic daily wear, shorts, pants, 2 shirts and socks in the comfort of my chalet. Simply hung them in the shower stall and after a couple of hours they were ready to go again. A quick visit/talk with the lady in charge of laundry in camp as to what and what not to iron has resulted in no problems with my synthetic stuff being mistreated.

As mentioned above, the egg laying flies and such go for the "wet" cotton fabrics to do their thing. Synthetics really don't get/stay wet so no place for these buggers to gather. I always have a few cotton garments, favorites if you will, along but am starting to get away from them for most situations.

The synthetics, Travex line from EB are also great for travel. I always spend a couple of days in Beira, Moz on either end of my trip and the ability to wash and quick dry things in the Hotel is another plus.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
R8 Blaser
DRSS

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Ammo box Negrini will comfort lay take 4boxes of 375 ammo.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
I always wear synthetics, but if somebody prefers cotton, or flannel, or burlap or whatever more power to them!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill - Have you tried the burlap??? rotflmo Just wondering?

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life member
R8 Blaser
RSS

quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
I always wear synthetics, but if somebody prefers cotton, or flannel, or burlap or whatever more power to them!

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Bill - Have you tried the burlap???
I have, it was part of the Craig Boddington Signature Series. Big Grin

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have been looking for cotton cargo pants for about a year - I wanted light comfortable pants that are not too baggy.

Finally I found some here in NZ at The Warehouse - I got 2 pairs. One has some extra pockets and a canvas belt. Looks quite trendy but would be good in the bush. The second is a more basic but still good pair for the bush.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11221 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
Please have a look at our website to give you an idea for the zebra rug.
We can also do all the D&P and shipping if necessary.
www.tci.co.zw
Best cuan

Posts: 31 | Location: zimbabwe | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote