New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clem Coetsee Dies
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My Old friend Clem (Andries) Coetsee died from an apparent heart attack early this morning.

For those who haven't heard of him, Clem pioneered the capture and translocation of entire elephant herds (moving over 1200 animals in family units in 1993).

He also shot more elephants than any man who has ever lived, and his personal total of somewhere in the region of 16,000 is unlkely to be passed anytime soon. Clem favoured a soviet Dragonov snipers rifle (sans scope) for culling, but by the time he quit parks he said he would never shoot another elephant, not even in self defence.

For those who knew him, Em's email is 255208@ecoweb.co.zw.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
My condolences.

Sounds like he had an extraordinary life certainly above and beyond most.

~Ann

Posts: 19548 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
You have my condoelences also

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
My condolences...it is a great loss for southern Africa...

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
My condoences.
His name comes up often when on the subject of Zimbabwean game concervation, control and management.
He was a man I would have liked to have met.
Regards,
Adam

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
True experience like his has made good game management, that works,possible! He will certainly be missed!

My condolences to his family, friends, and to the Game departments of Africa, they have all suffered a great loss! Frowner

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clem was a friend of mine and the conservation community will be poorer with out him.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Under the wide and starry sky
Dig the grave and let me lie:
Glad did I live and gladly die,
And I laid me down with a will.

This be the verse you 'grave for me:
Here he lies where he long'd to be;
Home is the sailor, home from the sea,
And the hunter home from the hill.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19359 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My condolences to his family for their loss. His great reputation proceeded him in the field of wildlife conservation. I hope Ganyana or others ensure his experiences are recorded in a book for all us to enjoy.

Posts: 162 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ganyana,
Please accept my sympathy.

Among other things, he made elephant translocation real.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Another legend moved on to the perfect hunting grounds.

Very sad to see a person like that vanish from our world and it must be much worse for his family my condolences .

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
CLEM COETZEE OBITUARY

It is with regret that we inform members of the death of Clem Coetzee, renowned wild life conservationist, who died at his farm in the Lowveld on Sunday, 3rd September from a suspected heart attack.

Born on 13th May 1939, Clem grew to prominence in local and international wildlife circles particularly through his work in pioneering the translocation of elephant family groups as a preferred means of elephant population control. He was also responsible for spearheading the campaign to de-horn rhino in the Lowveld as a means of combating poaching.

He collapsed and died at the side gate of his house on his way back for breakfast after checking on his wildlife pens.

His death is a great loss to wildlife conservation not only in Zimbabwe but elsewhere in Africa.

He is survived by his wife, Em, daughter, Beth, son, Vicus, and 3 grandchildren. A memorial service will be held in the garden of Turkey Heart Farm, Triangle on Saturday, 9th September 2006 at 2 pm.

This will be followed by a braai. Guests are kindly asked to bring a contribution of meat and drink.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote