THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Need some suggestions for African Taxidermist

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some suggestions for African Taxidermist
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted
Leave in 14 days for Zim to hunt buff/hippo/croc with Rich Tabor through CM Safaris.I need some suggestions for a taxidermist in the southeast(preferably SC,NC,GA)let me know of anyone that you have had work done by that you like or anyone I need to stay away from.If everything works out should have a shoulder mount buff,a croc hide to tan along with skull to bleach and hippo skull to bleach,maybe some of the hippo hide to tan.Previously all my taxidermist work has been done in Alaska,Africa and British Columbia, never had any work done in the southeast. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Wesley

Posts: 680 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
Charlie Watson @ Wildlife Taxidermy (770)-963-8000 in Lawrenceville, GA specializes in African game. Though he hasn't done any African animals for me yet, he has done an elk and did a bang up job. He'll probably be doing the work on both mine and my fathers animals when they come in from Namibia.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Darrel McMicken, d/b/a MicMicken Taxidermy in Cartersville, GA, specializes in African mounts; he did everything from my last hunt and will get any and all of my business in the future.

His personal collection of wildlife from all over the world, collected by him and his father--also a taxidermist--is on display at his studio, and worth the drive just to see.

Contact Darrell at 770-382-6232; you will not be disappointed!

Here's his website: www.mcmickentaxidermy.com

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1553 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both Darrell and Charlie are top notch taxidermist and both have done countless African mounts. You can't go wrong with either one.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the suggestions and the PM's I will check these guys out and hopefully work something out prior to leaving.
Thanks
wesley

Posts: 680 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Charlie Watson has done all of my African mounts. I'm happy with all of them and he is very good to deal with.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vandyboy
posted Hide Post
The Wildlife Gallery in Michigan did my trophies from Zimbabwe. They do fantastic work and would and will use them again.

Posts: 111 | Location: Jackson, MI USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
Lexington, KY might be a bit far for you but consider Harry Whitehead. His website is www.gunnerstaxidermy.com He has done all my African taxidermy (3 safaris worth). He does a very fine job.

"In these days of mouth-foaming Disneyism......"--- Capstick
Don't blame the hunters for what the poachers do!---me

Benefactor Member NRA

Posts: 477 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do yourself a favor. Don't even consider Taxidermy Enterprises in Zimbabwe. The only reason to run from them is you can't fly. You can PM me for details involving my experience withe Taxidermy Enterprises.

Posts: 791 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote