Find
Notify
Tools

The Largest Lion
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted
On another thread someone was enquiring about the weight of a Lion and this jogged a memory which I will share with anyone who is interested.

Many years ago when I was in UK studying Lion for my degree I was lucky to be able to view then the world's largest Lion a colossal beast named Simba. I remember the owner a Mr Njoka (Zambian dialect for snake) a larger than life Tarzan like showman and big game catcher who stood 6 foot in his socks. Simba when head raised would tower over him.

I managed to find a photo of this impressive beast.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9977 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cecil's great grandfather, no doubt

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW!!!!

Posts: 835 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Looks like lots of fillet mignons over the years
Was he related to Arnold? Maybe he subscribed to his nutritional regiment?
Definitely hunk of meat there

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Whats amazing is how short his legs are!!! shocker

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
those legs aren't so short...the belly is low LOL Big Grin

that is a HUGE lion for sure, fat, but huge in frame also.

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Holly crap Andrew. Weight aside, as he is not hunting buffalo for a living, what a huge frame.

This is where many bear hunters get caught up as well.......... there is a big difference between a really fat bear of average size and a not so heavy version with a bigger frame. They both weight the same, but the bigger framed bear is the far better trophy.

In this case that cat is huge in every way. His shoulder height in comparison to the owner is amazing...... if you saw that coming in at night when you were in camp it would be the stuff of nightmares. Wink

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1845 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFfUvAtcS1M

Andrew,

Thanks for posting, amazing lion. I found this youtube video of him mounted and in the description section it states he was Elizabeth Taylor's bodyguard.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9498 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An example of bad taxidermy.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFfUvAtcS1M

Andrew,

Thanks for posting, amazing lion. I found this youtube video of him mounted and in the description section it states he was Elizabeth Taylor's bodyguard.

I seem to remember that the mount was not Simba but another Lion?

No joke that Lion was as big as a buffalo and his head was about two feet wide. Between the eyes.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9977 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
An pressive beast no doubt, big cats are fascinating specially when you get the idea of how big they can get , I remeber being dumbstruck by the bachelor of polwagrath Jim Corbett shot , thanks forma sharing Andrew

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 532 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Wow! Awesome animal. A pity that his final mount has deteriorated so much. The photos in the cabinet say it is Simba & Mr Njoka .

What is his genetic background? West African / Barbary?

Yes the Bachelor of Powalghar was incredible with paws the size of dinner plates. That was a wild tiger though! Not fed on prime beef!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11243 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The largest record wild lion that I ve come across was one shot at Jeppes reef South of the present Kruger Park. It was a cattle killer shot by a gold prospector / hunter by the name of Lennox Anderson with a 9mm. It was weighed at Hectorspriut railway weighing scale and weighed 690 lbs and its stomach was empty. You cold add 60lbs to that when fed. He also shot a 50 5/8 buffalo now at the Buffalo hotel in Malelane.