THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    375 H&H vs. 375 Taylor vs. 376 Steyr

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 H&H vs. 375 Taylor vs. 376 Steyr
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Will
posted
I apparently don't have enough to keep me busy. Wanting to go to a short action .375 H&H wannabe.

Will the .376 Steyr achieve 375 H&H velocities with a 300 gr. bullet?

Does anyone make .375 Taylor brass, or how difficult is it make ones own cases from .338 WM brass?

Or, are these two alternatives close enough to a 9.3x62 that it is basically a wash, or a waste of time?

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will,
The 376 Steyr won't quite get you to 375 H&H velocities with 300 grain bullets. It shows it's best stuff with the newer 270 grain wonder bullets.

Don't know about the Taylor brass. Necking the .338 Win Mag brass up is a snap. I have done it to make a false shoulder prior to fireforming cases to chambers.

I have a 9.3x62 on the way. I'm not getting rid of my 376 Steyr. To my inexperienced eyes it seems that there is a definite step up to the Steyr round. I believe the Steyr round is basically a 9.3x64 necked up.

JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Will,

The .376 Steyr is an "intermediate cartridge" at 60 mm long -- compared to a .308 at 51 mm and the '06 at 64 mm.

The .376 Steyr can't achieve maximum .375 H&H velocities with a 300 grain bullet, but it can drive them into the velocity range where you get enough penetration. Kevin Robertson likes to write about loading the .375 H&H down to work better on buff, which makes it the same as the Steyr round. The .375 Taylor remains a wildcat, and not a particularily popular one.

It is easier to find great .375" bullets than .366" here. I keep telling the factory to advertise the .376 as the modern 9.3X62. They keep ignoring me with great vigor.

I like my .376 by the way.

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post

Will,
The .376 Steyr will very closely duplicate .375 H&H velocities with 300 grain bullets as will the .375 Taylor.

As far as I know there's no one making .375 Taylor brass that is headstamped as such.....it's made from .338 Win Mag brass (or I'd prefer .358 Norma Mag brass) or even necked down .458 Win Mag brass. I see this as a big potential problem importing ammo to oversees hunts.

If one really wants a short action .375 I'd suggest the Steyr because cases are available from Hornady here in Nebraska.

Again any real performance differences between the three are insignificant as far as I can tell.....

There is always one often discussed factor and that is that .375 H&H ammo can be found almost anyplace on the planet.....it's like .30-06 almost.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote