Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Isn't this a beautiful animal?

-

Rifle - .375 H&H Custom Mauser

Cartirdge - Nosler Ballistic Tp, Handloads

Rob and I ended up at a different concession than planned after learning that our second stop had burned to the ground, including all the lodging. Rob made quick arraingements to hunt at a 10,000 acre farm near Louwsburg. More on this place later, but less than half was game fenced. We saw excellent kudu, lots of blesbuck, 2 reedbuck species, bushbuck, 2 duiker species, steenbuck, tons of warthogs, and zebra. And everything but zebra outside the game fence too.

The concession had lots of big hills (mountains to this Michigander!) and sub-tropical valleys and grassland. A most memorable place for me, I will definitly hunt this land again.

Late one morning out walking, our tracker spotted a nyala bull in a thick patch of brush maybe 75 yards ahead. Fortunately the bull did not see us so we croutched down. Unfortunately the wind was not. The bull bedded down as we were watching it. Rob could finally see the bull's horns and it was deemed to be a good one. This is all happening in a matter of seconds because of the wind. I hurried and took a rest on our tracker's shoulder. The bull did catch our scent and got up to to his feet and was turning to run off. I let him have it as he moved.

-

-

We found the bull on a game trail not far away, he was double lunged. Here you can see his crest is raised.

-

Here's how they get them up and out of the mountains.

-

Below, in the green bush is where the hunt occured. The far mountain at the back is also part of this concession. It goes forever!

-

Upon first look we notice right away this bull has huge swollen neck. The photos do not do it justice! He must have been rutting and he was definitly the Boss of the bush as far as nyala go. His body was also very large and burly. He had a lot of character, there were some old notches on his ears and fighting scars on his neck. Upon skinning we saw his neck just wasn't fat but solid muscle.

Here's a few orphan babies at Tracy's ranch.

-

Again, a perfect entry and full pass through with the Noslers. Small entry and exit as with everything else.

Posts: 19169 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann how about sending me the first Nyala from Vic's place and you have the full body mount done on this critter!
WOW! That is one VERY nice Nyala!

Congratulations!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Some people have all the luck. [Big Grin]

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Classic Bell shaped horns looks better than the first one, congrats

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wow--congrats on another fine animal...chris

Posts: 304 | Location: San Francisco, CA, USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice animal Ann. I love that classic shape.

Posts: 155 | Location: Stafford, VA | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Good job. That is a beautiful Nyala. [Wink]

Posts: 6254 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Bloody Hell!"...now I've got to put nyala on my list too.

Is it possible to do a nyala only hunt as an add-on to a trip to Namibia or Zim? Maybe 3 or 4 days for only Nyala.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure that would be do-able!
Good Luck!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, I'm not sure there are nyala in Namibia. I think you can get them in eastern Zim. Well worth looking at to put in your collection.

I can tell you where I hunted both animals, Natal, is chock full of them and they occur in great quality.

Posts: 19169 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Rusty>
posted
Very nice, Ann!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Right! What I meant was to add on a few days to hunt in South Africa but that I didn't want to book a 7 or 10-day hunt just for one animal.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Here is an article with a map showing the range of nyala. Nyala are in more countries than I thought. Although, by far the majority (and I believe best trophies) come from Natal (Kwa-Zulu Natal) in RSA.

http://www.csew.com/antelopetag/Animal%20Fact%20Sheets/Lowland%20Nyala/nyala_antelope.htm

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann, thanks for posting these pictures and the detailed accounts of each hunt. It's very nice to know I'm going to get a different installment of Africa every day. Thanks again, Okie John.

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Terry & nyala hunters,

The shifty one (nyala in isiZulu) is found in good numbers in trophy quality in KZN, southeast Zim and Moz. I have looked at some beauties in all three places although the one I shot was a KZN animal. They are indeed very attractive, and a male and female mounted together make a striking pair.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Good bullet, good shot placement. You sure are a smart cookie, Ann, choosing a proper caliber/chambering and a good bullet. You're a natural at this H/K stuff. As they say in East Texas, "Ahm raht proud atcha!"

In the vein of "Tastes great! Less Filling!"...

More stories! More pictures!

Russ [Cool]

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russ,

I can promise at least two more actual hunt stories. After that, y'all are stuck with my scenery photos. But those will keep you going too. You do realize these stories and photos are not cheap? If you want more, send money and lots of it, my way. I take Pay Pal too.

Look for some more ballistics and forensics in the next two threads. I had to take one more photograph, which I did tonight.

Bill,

Yes, you could do a short hunt for nyala but do consider Natal, there are lots of them there. Give yourself four days if you want to go for a real good trophy.

Neither of mine are huge but they have good shape to their horns.

To all the rest, thanks for looking at my photos and reading my stories. I have only been a "big game" hunter for 6 years. Encouragement from those of you who are very experienced means a lot. Many of you don't realize your stories have taught me skills to make my hunts successful. It isn't the easiest thing going about and doing these things alone, most women wouldn't, thus NEVER will experience Africa or any place else for that matter. I hope my experiences will help someone in the future. It also helps that I have some great friends in Africa and world wide. These are the people who open doors for us and make our adventures possible.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great animal Ann! I personally think the nyala and the bushbuck are absolutely the 2 most beautifull animals there are. Both really need a full body mount to do them justice IMO.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote