THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Legalities of Lion Hunting in Tanzania????

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Legalities of Lion Hunting in Tanzania????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted
Is it legal to hunt from a machan for lion in Tanzania? I've seen it done on video and read of it being done. I read something recently that made me think it was illegal from the wording. Also how common is spotlighting for lion and leopard in Tanzania? I know it happens, but I'm hardly "in the know" on this one.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a clue on use of machans or blinds, except that it's commonly done. I am very certain that it is illegal to hunt at night (with or without a light) on government concessions in TZ. Hopefully someone who carries a PH license in Tanzania can chime in and educate us?

Posts: 265 | Location: central california | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanz2007
posted Hide Post
I see nothing in the Conservation Act that would suggest it is illegal to use machans or blinds. Like Craig mentioned it is definitely illegal to use artificial light as all hunting is prohibited after sunset. The only case were artificial light might be used is in the case of PAC conducted by the Game Office.

Edited: I take that back, I found this wording in section 54(1)a

"(ii) any poison, bat, poisoned bait, poisoned weapon, stakes, net, gin, trap, set gun, pitfall, missile, explosives, ball ammunition, snare, hide, fence or enclosure"

It is a common practice and the Conservation Act could have been revised, but I'm sure we will get a more definitive answer from one of the Professionals.

Posts: 171 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I understand the tourist hunting regulations are just about to be replaced with new ones so it's probably not the best of times to be talking about the old ones...... I'll bet the best man to comment on the new ones is Bwanamich.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NOTHING has ever been mentioned in any of the TZ Wildlife Acts, including the new 2009 version, referring to the use of blinds or machans. Main reason, technically its illegal to "bait" for anything in TZ.

As posted by tazn2007, baiting is STILL listed as illegal in the 2009 ACT, that has yet to be officially put in place. Although its an acceptable practice throughout the whole of the country, as it should be. In fact, it should be completely legal in my opinion.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Don'tcha just wish that one single African country could simply issue a sensible set of game laws. Confused

One of Us
Picture of tanz2007
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Don'tcha just wish that one single African country could simply issue a sensible set of game laws. Confused

Not gonna happen over here in opposite world Big Grin

Posts: 171 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
The reference I was reading didn't come out and say it was illegal. It just seemed from the wording that it was a possibility. I should have worded the spotlighting part of my question better. I know it's illegal and I know it happens in Tanzania. What I'm asking is how common is the practice? Are we talking a few isolated incidents or is that a rampant problem?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
The reference I was reading didn't come out and say it was illegal. It just seemed from the wording that it was a possibility. I should have worded the spotlighting part of my question better. I know it's illegal and I know it happens in Tanzania. What I'm asking is how common is the practice? Are we talking a few isolated incidents or is that a rampant problem?

Brett

Brett - I would HOPE the spot-lighting issue in TZ is very isolated! I for one, would NEVER do something like that in TZ, period!!! The several times I have hunted cats in TZ, it was never even remotely needed anyway.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For your reading pleasure: Link

By the way, Steve, it's now legal to shoot crocs near water. Wink

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have hunted lion in Tanzania, both from a machan and a ground blind, and also by tracking.

These methods are common. Everyone uses them, and everyone has done so for as long as lion have been hunted.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SteveGl:

By the way, Steve, it's now legal to shoot crocs near water. Wink

The 2009 ACT has yet to be OFFICIALLY enacted! But as with baiting for cats, croc hunting within 500 meters of water, is an accepted method, since it was "accidentally", left out from the get go. Not sure how that one slipped by, but it is Africa.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
I understand the tourist hunting regulations are just about to be replaced with new ones so it's probably not the best of times to be talking about the old ones...... I'll bet the best man to comment on the new ones is Bwanamich.

Steve,

Can you offer a hunt for a nice blond and busty tourist in Tanzania? What are the trophy fees and nightly rates likely to be?

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As stated in an earlier thread somewhere on AR, there is a written circular from the Directorate of Wildlife allowing the use of bait for lion, hyena, leopard and crocodile to the now defunct Tanzainia Wildlife Corporation which allowed this. TAWICO used to be the Gov parastatal that run the entire hunting industry in Tz for a while. That circular still stands as the "regulation" that makes this hunting method legal.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
As stated in an earlier thread somewhere on AR, there is a written circular from the Directorate of Wildlife allowing the use of bait for lion, hyena, leopard and crocodile to the now defunct Tanzainia Wildlife Corporation which allowed this. TAWICO used to be the Gov parastatal that run the entire hunting industry in Tz for a while. That circular still stands as the "regulation" that makes this hunting method legal.

Interesting! That's something I have not seen, but glad to hear it. Thanks Bwana!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SteveGl:
For those not inclined to wade thru the PDF, below are some of the points that I found interesting having hunted Tanzania and/or are topics that come up routinely on AR (noting Bwanamich's post regarding "baiting"):

Pages 48 & 49 contain the following:
quote:
Unlawful methods of hunting

65.-(1) Any person shall not, except by and in accordance with the written authority of the Director previously sought and obtained or in accordance with regulations made under this Act -

(a) use for the purpose of hunting any animal
(i) any mechanically propelled vehicle;
(ii) any poison, bait, poisoned bait, poisoned weapon, stakes, net, gin, trap, set gun, pitfall, missile, explosives, ball ammunition, snare, hide, spear, fence or enclosure;
(iii) a dog or any domesticated animal;
(iv) any automatic or semi automatic firearm capable of firing more than one cartridge as a result of one pressure of the trigger or of reloading itself more than once without further action by the operator;
(v) any device capable of reducing or designed to reduce the sound made by the discharge of any firearm;
(vi) any artificial light or flare, night vision devises; or
(vii) any anaesthetic dart capable of immobilisation;

(b) in the process of hunting any animal cause any fire; and

(c) hunt any animal -
(i) from any mechanically propelled vehicle or within two hundred metres of such vehicle, except when hunting birds in water;
(ii) other than a hippopotamus, otter, sitatunga, puku, crocodile, water-buck or bird within five hundred metres of any permanent water, pool, waterhole or salt-lick;
(iii) within one kilometre of a national park, a zoo, game sanctuary, the Ngorongoro Conservation Area or an aerodrome; and
(iv) during the hours of darkness.
Regarding the age and sex of a species:
quote:
56.-( 1) A person shall not hunt or kill the young of any animal or any female animal which is apparently pregnant or which is accompanied by its young.
This one is interesting (page 40):
quote:
Every tourist hunting company shall ensure that the minimum number of citizen professional hunters under its employment is not less than fifty percent at any particular time
Regarding the shooting of an animal in self-defense:
quote:
73.-(1) Nothing in this Act shall make it an offence to kill any animal in defence of human life or livestock.
quote:
(2) An animal shall not be deemed to have been killed by accident where the person killing it is a holder of a licence, permit or written authority, entitling him to hunt an animal of that specie.
…and Problem Animals:
quote:
(2) Any park warden, park ranger or ranger may, in the public interest, kill any problem animal in any place other than in a national park or the Ngorongoro Conservation Area

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of silkibex
posted Hide Post
Andrew,
theoretically it is possible.
Many of these tourists sport spectacular manes continuing under their arms and down their legs.
Spectacular, if you like such things...

Posts: 210 | Location: Central Asia/SE Asia | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote